Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should I sell my 1964 Overlander?
Yes. Let someone who cares more enjoy it while there's a bit of camping season left. 4 33.33%
Yes. But wait till you get closer to moving day, maybe put some work into it, and get a better price. 0 0%
No. Your wife is right- it's not hurting anything/anyone. Hook it up to the Uhaul. 4 33.33%
No. You'll never get another one in decent condition at an affordable price again. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

1964 26' Overlander
Opelika , Alabama
To Sell or Not To Sell?

Hello. I think this is my first post, though I've been a registered lurker for a while. My project '64 Overlander has stalled out, and I think I'm at a crossroads. I don't know whether to sell or keep this thing. My usual tendency is to hang on to stuff for too long, while my wife always wants everything to go out the door. This time our roles are reversed; her contention is that it isn't eating anything or rusting away like my usual projects, so it can stay indefinitely. I can't stand to see the thing sit month after month, and I really don't have the time to make the changes we would like to see.

Another little wrinkle is that we may be moving in 4-8 months, and will have to decide by then whether to dump it or drag it along with us. I'd rather be proactive than reactive. Last time we had the thing on the road was a year ago, and I really have not done anything with it since. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts. Part of me is afraid we'll never again be able to afford to get back "in the game" if we let this one go.
DeepSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
It sounds like you are in a funk mentally. Hang in there and knock it out. You can do it. My first project I had on the road 6 months after buying it. I was so into it I bought another. The second took me 4 years.

What are you struggling with? Have you found something that you feel is going to be to challenging?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You aren't using it. You don't have time to work on it. It may be a burden come moving day. List it now to sell now. If you wait and want to dump it before a move you might not get the price you want.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I've made similar posts twice. There were good arguments for both sides. Each time I decided to keep the Silver Olive. Dragged her behind as I moved from FL to NV to MD to AZ in less than 4yrs (actually, one leg I paid for professional mover cause I had to do a cross-country "speed run"). Since leaving FL I've camped less than a handful of times and only barely touched on planned improvements. But she's part of my family and I can't let go... However, after all my crazy moves, I've realized that things can be replaced and not to sweat over a decision. Embrace change - or not!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I recently read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. It is sort of a funny, yet inspiring book--the author is fanatical/mystical about the art of "tidying up."

Anyway her recommendation is to go through all your possessions, disregarding any logical/analytical means of deciding what to keep. Instead she recommends asking yourself if the item in question brings you joy. The goal in life is to be happy, right? So if your possessions don't bring you joy, then you don't need them. The corrolary is that if they bring you unhappiness, you should definitely rid yourself of them.

From your post, it does not sound like your trailer is bringing you any joy, the thought of working on it brings you no joy, and the prospect of moving it when the time comes brings you no joy either. So the only question remaining, is: does it bring your wife joy?

We don't know anything about your budget, but the comment "part of me is afraid we'll never again be able to afford to get back 'in the game' if we let this one go" makes me wonder what Game? There are a lot of unknowns to your post. Maybe the solution is to use your trailer to go camping and discard the Game.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Rule number one in any marriage seems to be "Happy wife = happy life"— personally I can't do that, which is why I'm still single after all these years, but that's what all of my married friends say, and their wives all agree wholeheartedly.

But in this case, your wife appears to be deferring to YOUR happiness, once you can figure out what that is, judging from the way you phrased her stance on the subject.

So flip it back around and find out what the wife REALLY wants to do with the trailer if it was entirely up to her, then do that. Her honest opinion should be more important to you than the opinions of everyone else here on the Forums put together.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
life seems to be a constant path of upsets and heart aches for unfinished projects.. Several times I have walked away from a project,, only to regret it later.. In the case of such a classic you have now to find another one later might be near impossible for the right price.

So my question is,,is your wife's view about this is more for your sake or the family?
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you given thought to changing wives? LOL

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
We live in the same town Opelika. I have a 65 Caravel mostly restored interior now but I think I understand your quandary. Perhaps we can meet and I can either help you over the hump with some limited expertise or just commiserate with you. I've owned several vintage AS and somehow once I have sold one, I always want another one. They are just getting harder to find in good shape at a decent price. Send me a PM>
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

It depends on your wants and needs

#1 If you NEED the money, sell it
#2 Does the trailer have any sentimental value?
#3 Do you love the camper?
#4 Do you like to camp?

You can always sell it later, you most likely can't buy it back later
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
I was in the same boat.. And my boss, just like your boss, said the exact same thing. It's $49 a year for registration, $100 something for instance and $43 a month for storage. Not bad. It's not hurting you too bad. Wait to see what your future holds for you. My 2 cents. And my boss said so.
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
If you don't need the $$,Keep It !
Its not going down in value,and its a liquid asset you can always sell if and when you may need the extra $$.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhkh226 View Post
I was in the same boat.. And my boss, just like your boss, said the exact same thing. It's $49 a year for registration, $100 something for instance and $43 a month for storage. Not bad. It's not hurting you too bad. Wait to see what your future holds for you. My 2 cents. And my boss said so.
Sounds like nearly $700 a year wasted for something you aren't using to me.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Deep South
Half of these posts say sell...half say keep...and the rest need more information. What all that points to is that only YOU can make that decision. Protagonist has (once again) the best answer. Find out what your wife really wants, then do it. C'mon... you're a big boy....you can do it. Mazel tov! jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Better keep it. My story. I got a 1977 25' AS in 1988 and sold it in 1996 and bought a 1968 Mooney Ranger Aircraft and sold it in 2000. Selling both was a big mistake. Was able to locate my old AS 50 miles up the road in 2009 and bought it back after selling my 36' Fifth Wheel Camper. Unable to buy back my old Mooney Aircraft since it was crashed a few years after selling it. Now I'm out every month in my AS (License: LAZRUS) and will hold on to it until I can no longer drive. P.S. I paid four times more for it the second time around..........so my recommendation is to keep your AS.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote