Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
st petersburg , Florida
Question Thinking of Renting My Airstream

Hello!

I have a 1976 27' Airstream. I am considering parking it on a full hook up RV campground site in the St. Petersburg Fl. area, close to the beaches, and renting it out either by the week or month.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Good idea, bad idea? I am aware I would need to look into rental laws, liability insurance etc. I am near by so I would be available for cleaning, hiring people for repairs etc.

Any opinions or guidance would be very appreciated.
Freeedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might look at this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...eam-38884.html

Maggie
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have you checked on renting and liability insurances? I would do that before anything else.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Most if not all commercial and municipal campgrounds require that the owner inhabit the RV/trailer IMO, and prohibit sub-leasing them.

I would inquire at the specific campground you have in mind, as some locations may permit this, but you might expect higher daily rates if you in turn are making a profit.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
There are many easier ways to make money than renting your trailer. The time you spend cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and repairing, advertising, bookkeeping, etc could be spent in many other ways that are more profitable than renting your trailer.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
A lot of people are Dufusas and I wouldn't trust them not to break my trailer! That being said, the hot thing right now is renting out backyard Airstreams on Air B&B !
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We had our own camper rental business for several years and found it to be both profitable and fun. However, we rented pop-ups not our Airstream. We actually considered renting the Airstream one time but our insurer would not insure it for rental due to its age. The best advise I can give you is that once you start renting you are exposed to a tremendous liability. One small accident could cost you everything you have including your own home and personal property. We were incorporated, and carried a large liability policy,this is not cheap. What you think you will earn on a single rental may be eaten up by overhead costs. MBA is the leader in RV rental insurance.I would suggest you give them a call before you make any decision.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
An "umbrella" policy can protect you. $1M was only $135/year for us.

But we rent a house...and wouldn't want others using our Airstream. It's too personal for us.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
st petersburg , Florida
Well thank you all very much. It looks like the short of it is it's not worth it. I didn't even think about park rules for subletting. So now I have to figure out the best way to sell it.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Alternate idea, a small house community. A mix of small airstreams and small homes on your own property. These are becoming very popular all over the country. Takes some jumping thru building code hoops but some communities are actually changing their codes to make this happen. Small affordable housing is the way to go.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
We decided the guests can sleep in the house we will sleep in the Airstream when they come to visit

Sent from my SM-G900V using Airstream Forums mobile app

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
There's a guy on Air BnB who parks his trailer at Thornhill-Broome State beach, an RV spot on the Pacific Coast Highway just North West of Malibu. His price starts $200 nite (or more). Probably better done on private property. Also, advertising on Air BnB has its advantages (screenings and reviews).
Just know the local and state rent laws, and have a good attorney draw up a lease agreement specific to your situ (not boilerplate). Then there's insurance...
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Photos if selling

Hello,

Any photos if you are thinking of selling?
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
There's a guy on Air BnB who parks his trailer at Thornhill-Broome State beach, an RV spot on the Pacific Coast Highway just North West of Malibu. His price starts $200 nite (or more). Probably better done on private property. Also, advertising on Air BnB has its advantages (screenings and reviews).
Just know the local and state rent laws, and have a good attorney draw up a lease agreement specific to your situ (not boilerplate). Then there's insurance...
Advertising on AirBnB might carry some disadvantages too, especially if the State Park location is stated. Unlikely that this sub-let complies with the rules IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
st petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Hello,

Any photos if you are thinking of selling?

Not yet. It is parked a couple of hours away right now. Once I make my decision I will go clean it up and take some.

It is a hard decision because it was my parents and I traveled in it as a kid I think part of renting it out is kind of a way of me not letting it go-----
Old 01-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. No hurries, send a note when you get photos.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why don't you keep it and go camping?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The problem with renting out an RV (in my opinion) is that folks who are likely to rent it while it's parked/stationary may not be familiar with the operation and limitations of RV equipment and may drastically increase your maintenance issues.
Like I said previously, we rent out a house and the attention to details increases exponentially unless one doesn't care about protecting the investment.
If this AS is a family treasure as you wrote, are you sure you want people in it that aren't family?
And why would not renting be equivalent to a need to sell it? Park it on land you already own and use it for your own pleasure. (perhaps I'm not being sensitive to the lack of storage space others may suffer. I have a metal bldg. on my properly I keep mine in and don't have to pay addt'l storage fees.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
st petersburg , Florida
I appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I live in a condo and don't own property, or have a vehicle to pull it with.

I have decided to sell it. I understand I can't sell through the forum so I will gather some photo's and list it in the classifieds.

I have seen estimates for a 27' 1976 Overlander anywhere from $2,300 to $19,900! This trailer is good functionally and pulls great, but needs some repairs: It needs three new tires. The water pump is sluggish, and the couch and curtains need repair. The windows are tight and dry at this time but will need new seals. The front door is stiff and needs to be adjusted. There is a brand new dent on the roof from a branch. (Other than that the shell is in great shape.) Cosmetically there is peeling and staining in various trim around windows and openings etc. The stove is also oxidizing on the surface. It had new upholstery and carpeting, and a new refrigerator about 9 years ago.

What is a good way to determine a good asking/selling price in this situation? (I do have the option of having insurance repair the dent but it will require new tires to get it to the repair shop)

Also, what is the best cleaner for the plastic bathroom surfaces? There is discoloration in a few places and I am not sure if it is permanent.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
We bought a used 30 ft classic for our daughter and son in law, they pay us rent and it works great for everyone involved.
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote