Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Thinking of going square

We have had our 2006 Bambi for a year now , love the trailer , need more room . When we look at Airstreams I can't justify the price , I can get 2 and a half Jaycos for the price of one 25 foot Airstream . We have been to a Jayco dealer twice , but can't pill the trigger . Don't know what to do .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It depends on how long you plan on using the trailer. If you plan on a 5 yr lifetime or keep it under a shed you can extend this. Growing up we always had the square box trailers/RV's and they always leaked and rotted. The new fiberglass coated RV's look nice but they have problems with the fiberglass separating from the wood substrate. Anything that has a metal band at the corner of the roof is going to leak. There are some trailers that have aluminum instead of wood framing and they are going to be a little better. At least you will have a frame left when all the wood components rot. You could get a longer Airstream. Expect lower gas miliage with a square box, even the wedge shaped ones. Square box trailers are much worse in the wind and are top heavy. Take a look at this video. This is enough for most folks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you considered an pre-owned Airstream...the price will be a lot better and there are some really nice "barely used" ones out there all the time! I'd hate to see you buy a Jayco only to turn around and buy another Airstream in after a couple of trips ~ besides, you'll miss being a part of this little happy family!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We thought about doing that too. We now have 4 kids and it was very tight in our AS even though it is a 28 footer, it's only 7 feet wide. So I remodeled "or I am remodeling" to fit everyone. The jayco's are nice it will last longer than 5 years!!!!! we love to bash the SOB's. You can find them used for half the price, AS too. most people buy a trailer and then only use it once or twice a year and then sell it. So there are good deals out there to be found on used trailers.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Last month we rallied w two families that had lots of kids. One has 9, yes, I said 9! The other has 7 yes 7!
They had turned their rigs into bunk houses. In the rear they had double bunks on both sides, and a side to side bunk over the front to rear bunks. Below the side to side was a port a crib for the littlest one. In the center of the rig was another set of bunks on one side (they took out the closet). On the other side was the BA. The entire rig was spotless. Each child had a back pack w all their stuff in it on their made up bunks. In the BA was a cute hanging toothbrush holder w all the families toothbrushes in separate pockets. The parents slept on the sofa.
They carried a canopy, chairs, musical instruments, food, clothes, lots of stuff and of course the family. So your family is small by comparison. I can't remember how long the Airstream was. It is definitely doable. Oh, they had a great time. We enjoyed meeting them. Get an Airstream. You won't be sorry.
ps. won't you miss this large family?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Do you want to stay with aluminum

there is a maker out there with all alum trailer rvt model comes in many colors as well. I hate white trailers, bathtubs on wheels. I am shocked you would trade 19 bambi for something larger. These trailers are interesting

starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Similar story perhaps, we bought a 20' Airstream but after two years of travel for six months a year realized its too small. Loved everything about the Airstream brand, spent months looking at every RV brand and concept, talking to owners asking about their problems with them. Read motorhome and fifth wheel forums.

Leaks at slideouts, delamitation, stuck slideouts, poor handling in wind, faded finishes, broken springs, wind coming through slideouts, crappy windows, fogged windows, axle failures, axle misalignments, high entrance steps, expensive clumsy tow trucks, is this piece of crap worth fixing; we never had these things with our Airstream.

So, can we rearrange the Airstream for better use of space, not much. Lets look at used ones, buyer-beware of private and rv lot sales, Airstream dealers want near-new price for late models and no factory warranty. Can we afford new and have money to travel, have the tax-deferred savings (ouch), 65 years old, when if not now.

Went shopping exclusively for 25' Airstream, 2012 FC front dinette new in stock and unmolested by tire-kickers, perfect floor plan, all the options, beautifully finished. We use it all winter in the warm climates, things couldn't be better.

Our experience was to take your time, look carefully at your money, look at everything, talk to the others and read their forums. Mostly take your time, squeeze another season out of the Bambi, it is after all, an Airstream rather than a plastic box on wheels.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I would take my time and look for a used Airstream. You will not regret it and they do hold their value after they get about 6 yrs.? old. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up No need to go "square"

Element

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evrgrn_Element_ExtA-v2_white_print.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	160506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Element_ET_24_SK_06_09_11_back_2_front.png
Views:	237
Size:	753.4 KB
ID:	160507  

Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The 'more room' thing is always an issue with Airstream, as the bulk of the floor plans produced are one full-time bed... It's rare to find the bunk models, but I'm sure you could retro-fit.

Are you needed more space for people, or stuff? There is no doubt, a big square box has way more cubby-holes for storage due to their inefficiently designed living space.

From your 19... you aren't going to notice a big difference unless you step up to the 25. I like the layouts with the N/S beds... then you've got a couch/hide-a-bed and the dinette if you need more space. It's nice to leave the dinette together to have somewhere to sit...

Slideouts can be trouble, but there is no escaping the huge amount of space they create... again, tough to find a used AS slide-out, and most of them were monsters (30 foot).

Airstreams are perfect for a couple... everything else requires some planning... BUT, I remember as a kid we travelled across the country, 4 of us, in a piggy-back camper in the back of a 74 Ford 1/2 ton (single cab)... so a lot of adventure can be had in a smaller space...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
We have had our 2006 Bambi for a year now , love the trailer , need more room . When we look at Airstreams I can't justify the price , I can get 2 and a half Jaycos for the price of one 25 foot Airstream . We have been to a Jayco dealer twice , but can't pill the trigger . Don't know what to do .
Sqaures are not even close to being aerodynamically clean,like an Airstream.

Try towing a square at 85 to 90 mph, and you will find it won't go.

But, the Airstream, being towed with a Buick, was recorded at 115 mph, on film.

Bottom line, is the Airstream products tow much better because of their shape, therefore allowing your tow vehicle to get far better gas mileage.

Looking into an older "used" Airstream product, will offer you many dividends, as long as you don't purchase one that has been neglected and/or abused.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Depends on what you are doing with your RV. Are you travelling a lot, or camping a lot. If you are not on the road everyday, then something more suited for living in may be more appropriate.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sqaures are not even close to being aerodynamically clean,like an Airstream.

Try towing a square at 85 to 90 mph, and you will find it won't go.

But, the Airstream, being towed with a Buick, was recorded at 115 mph, on film.

Bottom line, is the Airstream products tow much better because of their shape, therefore allowing your tow vehicle to get far better gas mileage.

Andy
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Check on the prices of something like my 05 Safari. I don't think its worth a ton of money, certainly not like the new Airstreams. Find one with no leakage problems and your good to go.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
We looked at all the 'squares' and aside from the obvious, three things made us purchase a two year old Airstream: resale value, resale value and resale value...
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
We looked at all the 'squares' and aside from the obvious, three things made us purchase a two year old Airstream: resale value, resale value and resale value...
Those 3 things make good arm twisters.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We are one of the larger families who have and use an airstream. Our 1989 29' excella has seven bunks built in for our seven kids ages nine to fifteen. It is not a wide body. It works great for us, in fact we are headed to the beach with it as I write!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Element

Bob
They cost about as much as a new Airstream! Rather innovative trailer though...

Last year we camped next to a couple with a new KZ Sportsman. Neat little trailer, $11,000. They were having fun. Towed it a short distance with their Tacoma, camped for a weekend. They weren't worried about it lasting forever or suffering huge depreciation. There is something to be said for that - it's a different approach.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
One thing I like about the Airstreams is that even if you use it forever and wear it out, a large part of it is recyclable and won't end up in the landfill.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get a late 80's or early 90's 34 foot triple axle and never look back
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
We had an 18 foot prowler box trailer for 10 years. Thought we never could afford an airstream. Found one that needed some sweat equity, and all new appliances. Paid $2k for it,spent most of a summer cleaning it out, but in a new fridge and stove, removed the "entertainment" center, and took off on a 4200 mile trip.

It's not perfect (still no working heat), but we are proud of our 1976 31 foot sovereign. The thing I was most surprised about was that it tows way easier than the 18 foot box did. I'm not suggesting that I'm going 115 MPH, nor would I suggest it..... Just read all the tire threads for that one.

But going from a Bambi to a huge sovereign, might not be the same experience.. Me and the wife look at the new AS and we are still happy with our purchase. It's not as nice and it needs work, but I only have 5k into it, not 60k, and it's 31 feet.