Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
We looked at all the 'squares' and aside from the obvious, three things made us purchase a two year old Airstream: resale value, resale value and resale value...
Those 3 things make good arm twisters.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
We are one of the larger families who have and use an airstream. Our 1989 29' excella has seven bunks built in for our seven kids ages nine to fifteen. It is not a wide body. It works great for us, in fact we are headed to the beach with it as I write!

Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

They cost about as much as a new Airstream! Rather innovative trailer though...

Last year we camped next to a couple with a new KZ Sportsman. Neat little trailer, $11,000. They were having fun. Towed it a short distance with their Tacoma, camped for a weekend. They weren't worried about it lasting forever or suffering huge depreciation. There is something to be said for that - it's a different approach.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
One thing I like about the Airstreams is that even if you use it forever and wear it out, a large part of it is recyclable and won't end up in the landfill.
Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get a late 80's or early 90's 34 foot triple axle and never look back
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
We had an 18 foot prowler box trailer for 10 years. Thought we never could afford an airstream. Found one that needed some sweat equity, and all new appliances. Paid $2k for it,spent most of a summer cleaning it out, but in a new fridge and stove, removed the "entertainment" center, and took off on a 4200 mile trip.

It's not perfect (still no working heat), but we are proud of our 1976 31 foot sovereign. The thing I was most surprised about was that it tows way easier than the 18 foot box did. I'm not suggesting that I'm going 115 MPH, nor would I suggest it..... Just read all the tire threads for that one.

But going from a Bambi to a huge sovereign, might not be the same experience.. Me and the wife look at the new AS and we are still happy with our purchase. It's not as nice and it needs work, but I only have 5k into it, not 60k, and it's 31 feet.
Did you want fries with that?
Uzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I looked at different trailers for quite a while since there was no Airstream dealer close to home. One thing that really swayed me into looking for a used Airstream was the RV graveyard about 8 miles from my home. There is a used lot that is full of late model trailers, 5th wheels, etc. and it was scary. Most had leaky roofs and ruined ceilings and walls. I have read of issues with Airstreams on here but from what I have seen, there is a lot to be said for issues.

I would strongly consider a used AS. I have the same year as you, 2006 only in a 25'. What size would do ya? Perhaps someone can help here. I know that when I shopped, the prices were around $38K for new Keystones and $44K for the Element ones like Robert is showcasing here on this thread. They were on display in Tampa in Jan right next to Airstream but $10K less. You can get a used later model AS for around $27-$35 in a 25' depending on the model. I don't know. That may not be what you want but it is an option. I just recently got that book, "Airstream Living" and there are some REALLY neat older models fixed up nice but that of course is more work. There are so many options without paying $60K.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Kipper, did you end up making a decision?

Did you want fries with that?
Uzzah is offline   Reply With Quote