Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
If they do like America then they're going bankrupt while borrowing against their grandchildren's ability to do without and pay it off.
Airstream is a bit like Harley actually.... Harley's sell like hotcakes for high-dollars but the Japanese make better bikes for less.
And like Airstream, even the older Harley-Davidsons sell quickly for top dollar. I'd rather have an AMF Harley than any of the other brands. And I'd rather have an Airstream.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why? They admitted mistake so why is explaination wrong?
The wording in Justin's response looks like they are going to build another FB model. I'm sure they're not, but it does look that way in the post.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #43
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Raising a glass to Justin and to Airstream for their involvement in the forum and for reaching out to those new owners that are experiencing issues. This is not the first time that Airstream has posted on this forum in the last year and I am so glad they are listening and getting involved.
I was part of the group that had the first Alde system roll out which was not a fun experience and we were all met with silence from dealers and Airstream. If not for this forum I still might not have heat or hot water. My point is, Airstream learned from that experience and is now actively listening and watching out for new owners that may be having serious problems and reaching out to those customers and acknowledging that an issue occurred. Thank you Airstream. Awesome customer service.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The wording in Justin's response looks like they are going to build another FB model. I'm sure they're not, but it does look that way in the post.
Thats why it is so important to make the call! Now! Not later! Be proactive to help yourself. Dont assume anything. Thet are trying to help.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
They admitted to making a mistake. You’re not out anything. Let them make it right and move on.

Asking for a “Serious Discount” as mentioned is rediculous. There’s no damages. Get your new rig in February and go camping. Enjoy.

As the person who initially suggested the steep discount, I don't believe you understood why I said that in reply 10 - which was before Justin stepped in.

He placed a specific order. The unit didn't come in that way. One option could have been to try to get familiar with it - and a steep discount for the mistake could help make the transition easier. If you order a blue suit and get a brown one you didn't want but you're offered a 25% discount to not send it back, one can start to imagine more occasions where a brown suit might make sense....

That's all. Nothing ridiculous- happens all the time.

Since then, Justin stepped in and is offering to make it right. An equally good solution.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #46
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnav View Post
You're complaining because you have to wait four more weeks? Were you planning a trip in early Feb? Why did you even post this?
Having a bad day? Sheesh
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #47
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
If they do like America then they're going bankrupt while borrowing against their grandchildren's ability to do without and pay it off.<snip>
Yup!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Yup!
We'll be fine.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I was wrong in my written explanation. My bad, I flipped them in my response. Geez, you'd a thought I would have learned! We are building the right floor plan, I have triple checked!! Sorry for the added confusion! The OP left me a message and we will chat when she returns from Europe.

I appreciate everyone's responses on the matter and my apologies again for making the mistakes in the first place. This is 100% the responsibility of myself and my team. We will continue to find ways to double check our order entry process.

On a final note, I hope everyone out there has a safe and very happy holiday season. Enjoy your family and friends. The plant shuts down this week to allow our team members to enjoy time with loved ones. We are all looking forward to a great 2018 and hope to see many of you on the road next year! I want to personally thank each of you on behalf of 901 hard working families in Jackson Center, Ohio, for your business and passion for our products. It means the world to us all!

Justin Humphreys
VP Sales- Airstream, Inc.
jhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
If they do like America then they're going bankrupt while borrowing against their grandchildren's ability to do without and pay it off.
Airstream is a bit like Harley actually.... Harley's sell like hotcakes for high-dollars but the Japanese make better bikes for less.
Actually they are a bit like AMF Harley Davidson was.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
It appears as though Airstream Justin and those involved is working or has worked everything out.
May the horse R.I.P.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or Happy Holidays to all
Let's go or think camping !!!
mj
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
It appears as though Airstream Justin and those involved is working or has worked everything out.
May the horse R.I.P.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or Happy Holidays to all
Let's go or think camping !!!
mj

If I can't go camping, you can rest assured I'm thinking of it! I had awning put all around the trailer and the stainless outside fixtures installed last October - in time to put it away for the season. Can't WAIT for April! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I can't believe that it takes 8 weeks to build an Airstream.
So, if the error was at Airstream, and I assume it was, they should put you at the top of the list for a new build, not after all the current orders are completed.
My dealer wisely pointed out the advantages of buying one off the lot, and he was right. Many, many things can go wrong along the way. Let's say a dent is evident on delivery. You can't say, "I don't want it". Mine sat on the lot for a few months, but I knew it didn't leak, have ill fitting doors, or dings in the body. I didn't compromise on what I wanted, I just had to find it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I'd rather have an AMF Harley than any of the other brands. And I'd rather have an Airstream.
Please don't equate Airstream with an AMF Harley. The reason an AMF Harley is reliable is that it's already been repaired so many times. AMF bought Harley because they wanted Brunswick, the bowling people. It was a package deal. That was a low point in Harley's history.
I remember people saying "I'd rather push a Harley than ride a Honda." to which I'd answer, "I wouldn't."

AMF Harley's are equivalent to Fiat making motorcycles.

Quote:
<sigh>
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I can't believe that it takes 8 weeks to build an Airstream.
I can't believe I would ever defend Airstream but I have to save. A production line is controlled by the longest lead time item. If they do not have a given part, and that can be anything, for your model they can't enter that trailer into the line.

Back when dad bought his 1953 Ford it came with an 50 year anniversary book that showed they took 1 hour and 53 minutes to build a car. That assumed All the parts were there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Hey, mistakes happen. I make mistakes, at least several each day; that's the human condition. Chances are every responder in this series of posts has made a mistake, probably a whopper or even two. Who hasn't? There is no shame in making an inadvertant mistake, as there is no shame in being human.

In my book, the issue is not that somebody, regrettably, has made a mistake --- the issue is "What are they going to do about it?" If they own it promptly, without defense, and agree promptly to remedy it --- put the other party in as good a position, as "whole," as is reasonably possible --- they've done all they can do.

Here, AS, bless their corporate heart, did exactly that. Kudos to AS/Jackson Center and its sales manager. And my condolences to the buyer for his disappointment in having to wait longer than he anticipated to receive the trailer he ordered and for his having to deal with this snafu.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Back when dad bought his 1953 Ford it came with an 50 year anniversary book that showed they took 1 hour and 53 minutes to build a car. That assumed All the parts were there.
Gotta wonder.... why in 1943 they could build a much more complicated four-engine B-24 bomber every 54 minutes... and ten years later they took twice as long to build a basic automobile.

Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes and a Liberty ship in 3 days.
It all comes down to assets available.
Ford and the US government each had more than Airstream
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Gotta wonder.... why in 1943 they could build a much more complicated four-engine B-24 bomber every 54 minutes... and ten years later they took twice as long to build a basic automobile.

They didn't take 54 minutes to build the bomber. A car came off the line every couple minutes in '53
Old 12-25-2017, 05:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You guys have your numbers all screwed up. It takes about 16 hours to build a car today. However, since they are nose to tail, they roll off about 1 per minute.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote