Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Cool The One Mistake......

When we placed the order for our new AS last April we tried to cover all the bases regarding how we would use the trailer to the options needed. Being a seasoned RVer I was confident that the 30 AMP service with the 15K air conditioned was plenty for a 25 ft trailer. What got by me was how the aluminum conducts heat & cold. For most part of the US that set up works perfectly, but living in Florida it does the job but two would be much better.
I'm posting this thread as food for thought when purchasing your next AS, take into consideration how aluminum handles heat, factor in where you live and what is your comfort level.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I live in NC and find that 1 AC is adequate in hot months if the trailer is cool to begin with, that is if it was cool at night or if the AC was running all night. But, when we travel during the day during hot weather and pull in to the campground at 3PM, the trailer is not comfortable at bed time.
It seems life is full of trade-offs. I wouldn't mind 2 AC units but I would mind wrestling with a 50 AMP shorepower cord. If I had a 50 amp trailer, I would use a 30 amp cord most of the time. But, not an issue for me as we will never buy another trailer. If it is too hot to sit outside and enjoy the campground, it is too hot to be camping.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We have a 2008 Classic 25fb. The interior ceiling is lined with a padded vinyl and the walls, mouse fur. We also have the full awning package. The AC is a Dometic 13.5k. We have camped in Texas near Dallas in full sun when it was 104F in July. The AC kept the trailer cool enough for us. The rear of the trailer doesn't keep as cool as the front bedroom but its not uncomfortable. I remember the rear would climb to about 85F using a thermometer on the kitchen counter. Skylights and upper port holes were kept covered with the shades. Of course we just wore shorts, T shirts and sandals.

Since we can't afford a new ducted air model we will live with this and when time comes to replace the AC will probably get the 15k model. We also are planning to upgrade the skylights with Maxims which are better insulated.

Having said all this if you are the type of person who requires low 70s upper 60s in hot weather to keep comfortable then you will have a problem with an Airstream keeping cool enough.

Kelvin
Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
So far, the single 15k ducted air conditioner on our 25' FC does a good job of cooling the AS to 74-75, which is our preferred comfort level. We also have the extra awning package.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Sometimes I wonder how our ancestors dealt with the hot weather before the 60s. Sweat rolling off you as you try to sleep. The sheets sticking to you as you get up, Trying to dry off after a shower realizing it's sweat...aaahhh those were the days. In Florida you need three air conditioners on a bambi for summer,... but I wouldn't trade your winters for anything in the world.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We have a 30fb that only has one A/C. We love to camp at the beach in the summer and have found that one A/C is not sufficient for us. We have survived by using a box fan to push cool air towards the bedroom at night. We finally decided to add a 2nd A/C in the bedroom this winter (our off season). I think it will be worth lugging around the 50A cord for us.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I am happy with a single AC unit on both my 25' and 34'. The 15,000 btu unit on my 34 did well at 105, though I will admitted I was parked in the shade.
If it gets to the point a single AC unit does not keep the trailer comfortable, the answer for me is to go somewhere the outdoor temperature is cooler.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I live in NC and find that 1 AC is adequate in hot months if the trailer is cool to begin with, that is if it was cool at night or if the AC was running all night. But, when we travel during the day during hot weather and pull in to the campground at 3PM, the trailer is not comfortable at bed time.
It seems life is full of trade-offs. I wouldn't mind 2 AC units but I would mind wrestling with a 50 AMP shorepower cord. If I had a 50 amp trailer, I would use a 30 amp cord most of the time. But, not an issue for me as we will never buy another trailer. If it is too hot to sit outside and enjoy the campground, it is too hot to be camping.
Larry
Larry.

Simple fix.

Before traveling, open the rear end only of the front and rear ceiling vent covers. Make sure that the front of the vent cover, stays closed.

That creates, if you wish, a small vacuum in the trailer, which helps keeping it cool when taveling.

Then, when you stop for the night, immediately plug the trailer into city power and run the AC.

You will be surprised how fast the trailer will cool down. But, the longer you wait, the longer it will take to achieve that goal.

When done properly, it falls in the category of "WOW".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cooling down - I've nearly fainted a time or two when I've stopped and trotted back to the trailer to take a comfort stop. That thing can turn into an oven traveling down the road, but my solution is simple - take one step inside and pop the fantastic fan lid open. Running both fans for 10 minutes can take 20 degrees off the temp.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think there is a trade off however in creating negative pressure by cracking open that rear vent. The trailer isn't airtight and every area that isn't sealed from the outside will pass air through to make up the negative pressure. That air which leaks in can be coming from anywhere and dependent upon the conditions you are traveling in, you can be pulling in exhaust gas from the tow vehicle and also dust and debris in the air which will collect inside the trailer.

In very hot weather upon arriving at my destination, I'll open both vents with the Fantastic Fans running at high speed in the exhaust mode. I'll also keep the door of the trailer open. After about 15 minutes of running, I'll then turn on the air and close the vents or doors. You knock about 10-20 degrees off that inside temperature, your AC unit will get down to cooling a lot faster. Keep in mind that most air conditioners can only cool the air about 20 degrees below the air being drawn into the intake.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We've found that a single unit is okay for us but one must use a fan to push the air around. When we are camping, 80 degrees is fine inside, with a couple of degrees higher tolerable.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Andy,

I have tried that and it is my normal practice. In fact I put a cover over the rear Fantastic so I can leave it open on the road and in storage. I also use a big 12v Fantastic inside to push the cooler air fwd to the bedroom. Those things have been a big improvement, but when it is 95 degrees outside at 4 PM, it does not get to 72-74 in the bedroom by 9PM.
Sure, when I was a scout I camped in a tent in weather ranging from below freezing to upper 90's. But, I am just an old fart who appreciates creature comforts. I have read from some wise experienced streamers that they live by a 40-90 rule, which makes a lot of sense. Maybe even 40-85 for us.
The first year we just stored it during the summer, last year we camped, and with that experience we will store it again this summer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We now understand why nearly everyone from Texas can be found in Colorado during the summer. Get up around 7000' and you don't have these issues to be overcome. Most of our summertime travels seem to bring us to higher altitudes. I don't mind the warm days and it's great to have the cool evenings. Sometimes even cold.

See ya on the road sometime. At higher elevations during the summer

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Andy,

I have tried that and it is my normal practice. In fact I put a cover over the rear Fantastic so I can leave it open on the road and in storage. I also use a big 12v Fantastic inside to push the cooler air fwd to the bedroom. Those things have been a big improvement, but when it is 95 degrees outside at 4 PM, it does not get to 72-74 in the bedroom by 9PM.
Sure, when I was a scout I camped in a tent in weather ranging from below freezing to upper 90's. But, I am just an old fart who appreciates creature comforts. I have read from some wise experienced streamers that they live by a 40-90 rule, which makes a lot of sense. Maybe even 40-85 for us.
The first year we just stored it during the summer, last year we camped, and with that experience we will store it again this summer.
Larry
Hi Larry.

Back then, I towed a loaded 31 foot all over the US.

Leaving the front and rear solardome vent covers opened in the back side, was a great help. Back then, like in the early 70's, Fantastic fans did not exist. But also today, many owners do not have the advantage of having Fantastic fans, so in trying to be helpful for the owners that do not, of how to minimize the high temperature in the trailer when on the road.

Sharing, if you wish, tricks of the trade, and what works for that person, is what this Forums is all about. I indeed enjoy sharing my personal experiences as well as a "servicing dealer" experiences. Sharing things sometimes, brings much happiness to some owners, and many times even the most simple of things..

In your case, the powder worked for you, but again, I have no experience with using it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My previous trailer was a 36ft box style with one 15 air unit & a MaxAir bedroom fan. All in all it did ok, so when I bought the AS25ft I figured one unit was more than enough & that monster 50 amp cord was another factor in the decision. But like I said in the original post, I never figured in how the aluminum would conduct & transfer heat. It's not an awful situation here in mid summer but cooling down takes a while. Like a previous poster mentioned I too immediately turn on both fantastic fans along with the air for about 10 minutes to get things started & that helps. However next summer we'll be in Las Vegas for a couple weeks & that heat will overwhelm my single unit.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote