Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
The final Silver Streak ever made.

For anyone that's interested, the last Silver Streak travel trailer, that was manufactured in 1995 (a custom order), is now being sold by the family of the original owner.

I went to look at it, cash-in-hand, with every intention of buying it and doing that once-in-a-lifetime cross-country trip with a piece of American RV history ... but I just didn't love the mid-bath, rear-bed layout (as opposed to my totally-open-feeling 22' Argosy).

But the guy selling it seemed like a nice guy, and was happy to talk about his experiences traveling around with his father-in-law who custom-ordered the trailer.

The father-in-law is the same guy that ordered the 1st Silver Streak that was made after Rolf Zuschlag took over the company and moved it to Chino, CA.

This can all be confirmed by Kyle Morrison, who built that 1st trailer in 1987/8, and also had a hand in the final trailer.

To me ... this makes this particular RV a piece of American history, and I'd like it to go to someone that will enjoy it in that spirit.

Apparently, so would the family, who have already turned down lowball offers from folks looking to purchase a cheap trailer-park home.

If anyone here is interested, they can find the trailer listed in the Los Angeles region of craigslist.

If anyone lives outside that region, I'd be happy to discuss my personal feelings on the trailer's condition from my POV as a potential-purchaser.

BTW ... No, I don't know the family. I was just impressed by the warmth with which I was received when I showed that I actually knew something about the history of the trailer, and wanted to actually use it in the way that it was designed to be used.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
http://www.viewrvs.com/travel-traile...treak-29-a.php

Is this ad incorrect, saying there was a 1996 SS?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
http://www.viewrvs.com/travel-traile...treak-29-a.php

Is this ad incorrect, saying there was a 1996 SS?
Hmmm ... maybe I'm reading Kyle Morrison's (Silver Streak Production Manager) previously-published email wrongly.

If so, then I apologize, and the trailer has a less-significant place in history.

What Kyle said (as seen on https://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/...=silver_streak) is that, to quote him ...

Quote:
"We were true experts on saving weight and maximizing storage space. Incidentally, that unit was ordered by the same person that eventually ordered and recieved the very last unit built in 1995."
So ... if Silver Streak really did ship a few more trailers in 1996 after Kyle Morrison left the company, then "yes", this isn't strictly the last one, and the family, and I are both wrong.

Good catch!

BTW ... the family offered to put me in touch with Kyle Morrison to confirm the trailer's history, but I declined since I didn't *personally* love the layout and so wasn't going to buy it anyway.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A trailer built after June of 1995 could have been sold and titled as a 1996 model.
I also once had a 1995 model van that was built in 1996.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A trailer built after June of 1995 could have been sold and titled as a 1996 model.
I also once had a 1995 model van that was built in 1996.
Good point, too!

I don't really know what is *true*, and if someone were looking for "investment potential", then they'd have to do some footwork to confirm the "historic" status.

I *can* confirm that the trailer had a late 1995 build date stamped on it (October IIRC), and that it is was definitely a "custom" build, since a few things are different from the 1995 Silver Streak Sterling brochure that can be found online (I left a copy of that with the family-member that I talked to).

I was told that a number of changes were made in order to specifically reduce the tongue-weight of that particular trailer.

But, if someone is interested, these are details to discuss with the family, and/or with Kyle Morrison.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The final Silver Streak ever made.

Mine is a 35RB built 11/89 and titled a 1990. I'd say 1995 is a solid bet as to last. I've never seen later, and this is in a lifetime of either owning or with family members owning them. Bob Ashby bought out the NOS parts at about that same time. I almost bought his last trailer from an owner who was friends with Bob.

Take the question over to Tom Pattersons site.

I'm surprised anyone passed up the trailer I see above. Extremely nice original condition. The only difference between it and mine are details.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote