Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
The deed is done, my buying experience...

I was considering a used 25, 26U, 27 or 28 in excellent condition for a while. I did not want to purchase brand new, let somebody else take the first depreciation hit was my thinking. Furthermore, I thought with a wider selection and being able to compromise on floor plans and options I would have more choices. I scanned the Classifieds on the Auto Trader, Craigslist, Kijiji (here in Canada) and of course this Forum for about four months. I found that dealing with private sellers on late model Airstreams was pretty frustrating, many times their asking prices were higher than what dealers were asking for Brand New models, especially on 2016s still on dealer's lots. Finally I found what I was looking for at Colonial, a 2015 27FB International in like new condition at what I considered a fair price. This exact model was my first choice, ducted A/C, still under warranty, the espresso interior and even upgraded wheels already. I am so happy that I ended up NOT compromising at all, patience in waiting for the "right" deal really paid off! And I am certainly not the most patient person to start with.....
what was your buying experience?
ps. see you out there next year...

Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Everything my wife and I do is without any patience. While we definitely research never have we taken 4 months to decide on anything from our marriage 22 years ago to our latest home. We came home from a long weekend in our pop-up camper and I had decided enough was enough. It had rained the whole weekend so we were stuck inside and being the size that I am it was not very comfortable for that amount of time. On drive home my wife decided that if not a pop-up the only other type of camper she would even consider was an Airstream. Took us a couple weeks of surfing the Internet to decide on the 25FC with the FB twins option (thanks Moosetags). I called Colonial to get some sort of price for us to start with but I really wanted to purchase here in Virginia. We drove an hour down 95 and negotiated a price (amazingly they had the exact model with the exact options on the lot) and purchased that day.

The purchase and the sales process was good, delivery was just OK. Seemed like the gentlemen doing the walk through with us knew less about how the Airstream functions than we did from just reading on Airforums. Our first camping trip we had issues and ended up calling their service department right at closing time and the person who helped us stuck it out for about 30 minutes while we got things sorted out via the phone. I got a good feeling from that phone call but when we took it back to them for service (including a bunch of warranty items) I decided we should of driven the 4.5 hours to Colonial. They had our trailer for over a month and trying to get the service department on the phone was a nightmare just to get updates. We finally got it back and I will not go back there for service again.

We got a better price than quoted by Colonial, paid way too much for our hitch, and had a horrible service experience. BUT - I would definitely still purchase an Airstream again if we had to do it all over...just in New Jersey instead of Virginia.

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The deed is done, my buying experince...

Glad you got the trailer you wanted, must feel great!

We had a great experience buying our '77 from a nice gentleman north of Toronto.
We were looking for a vintage unit 25' or less.
The trailer was listed in Kijiji with a reasonable asking price in august of 2011. We were the first to look at it and the seller really loved his trailer. After spending over an hour having him demonstrate all the systems and tell us the trailers history I made him what I thought was a strong offer. He hesitated and continued talking about the trailer. Finally I asked if he really wanted to sell it and he replied that he might want to take his granddaughters camping one more time before school started. I said no problem, one more camping trip wouldn't change my mind and we shook hands.
A couple of days later he called and told me his granddaughters didn't have time for another trip and if I was still interested he'd deliver the trailer to my house on the coming Saturday! I think he just wanted to see where his trailer was going and know that it was going to a good home.
He delivered it Saturday morning as promised and I paid him the amount we had agreed on the day I looked at it. He said he had been offered much more than I was paying but that we had made a deal and he was sticking to it.
The trailer was exactly as he presented it and there have been no surprises with its condition.
One of the best purchases I've ever made and one of the best buying experiences I've ever had.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My wife and I were pretty adamant we wanted a recliner model. They stopped making them in 2014. There was a 2013 model by a private seller I was going to go look at in Texas, but I was having difficulty arranging an inspection. Then Colonial put one up for sale that was EXACTLY what we wanted, at a very fair price.

So we decided to drive from Tampa to New Jersey to go pick it up, and made a trip out the return. Best decision for us.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
I'm interested to know what you paid. I bought that very same model and year (2015 International Signature 27FB) off Craigslist in GA - dual air, inverter, awning package, for $64K. Always interested in current market prices.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by citruscove View Post
I'm interested to know what you paid. I bought that very same model and year (2015 International Signature 27FB) off Craigslist in GA - dual air, inverter, awning package, for $64K. Always interested in current market prices.
pm sent
Old 11-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
LaPorte214

2014 27' FB International
Peoria , Arizona
Your email is encouraging. We are in the market for our first Airstream and prefer a 28 ft, but would compromise on a 27 ft (however like the separated dining of the 28 ft). We live in AZ, and are reluctant to travel great distances to look at gently used Airstream. We too have surfed the classified, but always seem to come up short. We're very patient and since recently retired, in not great rush to buy and then believe we made a bad choice. So, your message comes at a good time for us. We have never owned an RN or travel trailer, so we're trying to be very cautious.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I knew nothing about Airstreams but my wife liked them. Saw one on Craigslist for $3k. Didn't realize they were so affordable! Of course, the ad was fake but we went to a couple dealers and within a week it was hooked up to my Grand Cherokee! It was a lot more than $3k but worth every penny!

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte214 View Post
Your email is encouraging. We are in the market for our first Airstream and prefer a 28 ft, but would compromise on a 27 ft (however like the separated dining of the 28 ft). We live in AZ, and are reluctant to travel great distances to look at gently used Airstream. We too have surfed the classified, but always seem to come up short. We're very patient and since recently retired, in not great rush to buy and then believe we made a bad choice. So, your message comes at a good time for us. We have never owned an RN or travel trailer, so we're trying to be very cautious.
Good luck in your search, keep us posted
ps there are some pretty good deals out there on 2016s that are still on dealer's lots, if you decide to purchase new that is...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Congratulations on your purchase!! I went through some of the same process when deciding on my Airstream. I wanted the ducted air, no bigger than 25 feet, all 3 awnings, back up camera and twin beds. I wanted the newer colors also. Used newer models were more expensive than quotes I was getting from dealers for 2017. I ordered from RV1- my salesman was in Albany and I have to pick it up in Orlando. The ordering process was easy- he said I would get it before Christmas but I am figuring mid January as the order was final just 3 weeks ago. I will let you know how it goes. I talked to Colonial, but did not want to drive "up north" in January to pick it up, so stayed with dealers in the south. I did not want to compromise on what I wanted and could not find any on a lot. I heard you get a better deal when you build it because the dealer does not have any "up front" money. Not sure if that is true. I will let you know how the delivery goes. I am not planning on going there for service, so that was not a consideration.