Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota

I just did some math and figured out that between the 6.875% motor vehicle excise tax and the 1.25% annual registration tax (reduced by 10% a year starting with the third time you pay it), I'd be paying around $5,000 total in taxes during the first five years of ownership (averaging $1000 a year) of a new Super Duty (or the equivalent truck in other brands).

Lovely place, Minnesota.

I head my head around the inevitable depreciation but this is ridiculous. It's enough to make me want to store it out of state. South Dakota isn't that far and it's 3% there the first year and around $60 for following years.

On the other hand maybe I'll just buy something ten years old.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Hey, wait a minute.

Our government(s) believe that taxes don't influence behavior. What you're suggesting could lead to anarchy.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Sales tax on a new truck in Colorado is based on the dollar difference between the new truck price and the trade in value. With the recent rise in Colorado vehicle registration costs (including trailers), I suspect that the sales tax will be based on the total cost sooner than later. Perhaps Minnesota is punishing voters for sending a comedian to the Senate!!!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Texas may have its new-age anti-government groups but MN has DMV dodgers! But one detail you're forgetting South Dakota tags won't instill the fear and respect that Wisconsin plates do - anyone here in the Twin Cities with a bent to disrespect & game the system keeps (or has kept) a car on the cheap with a Wisconsin title, plate, and supposed insurance...

Here in the Cities a Snow Car is a near zero value clunker (kept just for the days starting in September and ending in June when road salt rules) that thoroughly intimidates legal late model MN car drivers. Keeping an older model around as a Snow Car in the past meant getting (borrowing) a mailing address across the border and then running a clunker until after the spring mud season thaw or major accident... I don't know about currently.

South Dakota is tempting in many ways - Could a person get established as an Alaska Resident for the natural resources rebate check and then Winter in beautiful South Dakota?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote