Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Tariffs and the cost of Airstreams

We have already talked about the Aluminum and Steel tariffs in another thread, but now it seems we may see Tariff on cars and vans.

While the Sprinter avoids the tax on imported trucks by being re-assembled in the US, it could avoid them well into the future by being fully assembled in the US starting with the 2019 models. But many class B upfitters are located in Canada, and Canada is one of the trade zones in dispute. Could this give Airstream a competitive advantage over the likes of RT, PW and others?

And when it comes to TVs, I think most Euro SUVs are now assembled in the US.

Thoughts?
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Trade war impacts are complicated, intertwined, and predicting subsequent pains are not simple linear predictions. Here is a public statement from Daimler made Wednesday:

“Fewer than expected S.U.V. sales and higher than expected costs — not completely passed on to the customers — must be assumed because of increased import tariffs for U.S. vehicles into the Chinese market.”

Daimler exports a considerable percentage of US production to China. Loss of unit volume means a smaller work force requirement and fixed costs spread over fewer units raising final pricing. Their stock dropped 4% Thursday.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
I was thinking the same thing this morning. We recently visited an Airstream dealer in both US and Canada as we ponder purchasing new. Both advised of the cost increase in 2019 models but didn't give a real rationale. As far as I can tell based on Airstream's site, there are no major improvements that would account for these jumps. I can only assume that material costs (aluminum/steel) have increased. If the cost to purchase foreign Alum. increases then demand for US alum will increase and drive the price up as there is a very limited number of Alum plants currently operating...hence the importation of most Alum from Canada. It will be complicated for sure but I think we are witnessing some of the first impacts of the tariffs.

Used now seems like a much better value...just hoping the increase in new prices doesn't drive up the used market too much.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
[QUOTE=
Used now seems like a much better value...just hoping the increase in new prices doesn't drive up the used market too much.[/QUOTE]

Unless of course you already have one and looking to sell in year or so...
Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post
I was thinking the same thing this morning. We recently visited an Airstream dealer in both US and Canada as we ponder purchasing new. Both advised of the cost increase in 2019 models but didn't give a real rationale. As far as I can tell based on Airstream's site, there are no major improvements that would account for these jumps. I can only assume that material costs (aluminum/steel) have increased. If the cost to purchase foreign Alum. increases then demand for US alum will increase and drive the price up as there is a very limited number of Alum plants currently operating...hence the importation of most Alum from Canada. It will be complicated for sure but I think we are witnessing some of the first impacts of the tariffs.

Used now seems like a much better value...just hoping the increase in new prices doesn't drive up the used market too much.
MSRP prices are increased every year, regardless of materials, tarrifs, whatever.

Prices of new will of course increase used prices. And once you own one, you'll be delighted to see the yearly price hikes on new ones.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote