Old 07-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I thought I wanted a vintage airstream, but after much research, a lot of it on this site. Decided to look for an Avion. Found a 30' 1986 and have been very happy with it. Over 250 nights in less than 3 years! Not full time, but I guess we could say long timers.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
There are a few factors that might need consideration in answering your query. Are you single or will two people occupy the trailer? Do you have any pets? Do you have hobbies that require space? I, for instance, play an upright acoustic bass that would not have a home in an Airstream. Will you be towing regularly? If not, where will you be based? Florida winters work fine for an Airstream, but not much north of KY, IMHO.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
DON'T do it!

Talk you out of it...ok
What your about to read is ONLY just my opinion

It is my opinion they (Airstreams) are over priced, new or used
Are they built better mmmmmm NO!
Airstream does not make the, stove, Air-conditioner, furnace, hot water heater, refrigerator / freezer, or microwave! They do not make the axels
I personally have had to get on top of my camper trailer (some other brand) and my Airstream motorhome... Flat roofs are great, especially for A/C repair the airstream roof scares me whenever I need to go up there.
The round roof robs you of much needed space on the interior,
People here are right, your going to need to be handy, oh ya and the parts are just as overpriced as the tin can you'll be putting them on.
Speaking of the tin can...
Ya ever notice you NEVER see a soda can with riveted seams? Ya know why? They Would leak like sieve!
I know I'm getting older but more then once I've been woke up to a wet bed, and no it wasn't me! Ever been up on a round wet slippery aluminum roof?
And probably the most important thing... Look at the floor plans for streams and other brands... I think (again ONLY my opinion) if someone put just the floor plans, of three different brands in front of you and asked you to honestly evaluate them and rank them in order I'd be willing to bet that no matter what the other brands were the Airstream wouldn't come first.
Keep in mind your going to loose 2-5% of the inner space, just do to the round roof
So why did I buy my airstream motor home... Because it was "Soooo cool" that's exactly the words the tow truck driver used as he hooked on to my riveted leaky can that sits on top of a 34 year old Chevy bread truck chassis.
But... At least I didn't buy new.
Sadly, I've seen posts on this forum of people who have paid $90,000.00 more then I have, and have similar problems, and the new motorhomes are on Mercedes chassis!
So do you want to be "cool"
Or do you want to be cool (like 10*f cooler) I may have neglected to mention what the sun does when it relentlessly beats down on that metal skin.
Airstream doesn't make the A/C unit, but they do make it work 10% harder)
Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
You are starting out, go with sob, live simply for the two years save your money, then go for AS.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Although we don't fulltime in our AS we has similar questions. For us it came down to design. I said, "even if it has to sit in the driveway it will still bring a smile to my face" and that's when I stopped wondering and worrying if I was making a bad decision and bought my original used '23 (since upgraded to a '27'). Good luck!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
As I mentioned earlier in this post. Look for a 4 season trailer.
A$'s in my opinion are 2 season rigs, spring and fall.
They do not do well in the winter. They do not do well when the temp gets much above 90f, especially if they are in the sun.
Since you are looking at a 2 year window. IMHO. You will be wasting a lot of money buying new or used.
You will lose 30% in the first 2 years if you buy new. That is roughly $30K on a coach that cost $90K new.
You will spend a boat load of money even if you buy used because no matter what you are told. There will be things that fail. Water heater, Air Conditioning and the furnace just to name a few. If you happen to buy a unit with hidden water damage, the repair cost could be enormous.
If you buy a quality 4 season SOB, unit which can be had anywhere from the lower $20K range to the upper $30K range new. Most if not all have at least a 1 year warranty.
Put your money in the bank or spend it enjoying life. Don't spend it all or go into debt just to say "you have an A$"
Old 07-04-2016, 02:01 AM   #21
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Sounds like you made up your mind. Typically from my experience , people already made up their mind and what others to support their mind.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Sounds like you made up your mind. Typically from my experience , people already made up their mind and what others to support their mind.
Like hanging 4 bikes off the back of a 19' trailer?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
There is an equation that will answer the question of being talked out of obtaining an Airstream, for you. Takes all the quess work out.

Take your age as of today and compair it to your life expecency.

If there is more distance between your age and the cradle than the distance to the grave, BUY THE AIRSTREAM.

Happy Trails.
Great! I wish I would have seen your equation sooner as we would have bought an AS 10 years ago, even with all it's foibles.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Friday Harbor , Washington
Wise insights. Thanks and ....

Thanks for all the wise comments as I piggi-backed on the tread. The cautions are particularly valued (cost and quality issues), but I shall go ahead with a purchase new if cannot find the same Flying Cloud, 25 used. I feel I need that 'cool' look where it will be placed full time as my residence for myself only. It should retain value to go to my family eventually. Another consideration is I have a fine motorhome for travel and another parked permanently nearby to become a writing studio. So circumstances and attitude come together for the choice. Thanks all ....
Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
Thanks for all the wise comments as I piggi-backed on the tread. The cautions are particularly valued (cost and quality issues), but I shall go ahead with a purchase new if cannot find the same Flying Cloud, 25 used. I feel I need that 'cool' look where it will be placed full time as my residence for myself only. It should retain value to go to my family eventually. Another consideration is I have a fine motorhome for travel and another parked permanently nearby to become a writing studio. So circumstances and attitude come together for the choice. Thanks all ....
Good luck with your search! The timing might be right for finding a 2016 unit on sale, as the 2017 models are out. We lucked out last year with a similar purchase.

One caution about permanently locating any trailer or RV -- the black water waste system is not really designed for a stationary use, but is dependent on vehicle motion to macerate the solid waste material and the TP into a uniform slurry which can be dumped first, followed by the grey water to rinse out the sewer hose.

Lacking a moving vehicle, one tends to end up with a solid pile of you-know-what in the black tank, which becomes difficult to move along . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Peter

PS -- and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Good advice

Thank you Peter. The assumption of a moving trailer is reasonable for AS, so as a fixed trailer I will do something to avoid the ... yeah. Helpful.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Hey Rob, I do like the plan that you have in mind. And realy love that area of Washington you are planning to retire to.
Was up that way last summer, including a fun visit with friends on Whidbey Island.
So after returning to northern Az for the winter, I started monitoring the weather there over one of their famous winters. Funny thing was that the temps were not much different to those here in Prescott area, warmer at times even.
The BIG difference was the sun, or lack of it. Plus the frequent rain.

This brought to mind the thought of building a shelter roof over the RV there to give it and the surrounding area some protection from the wind and wet.

I think doing this sort of shelter could go a long way to making a three season camper into a more comfortable home in those colder wetter seasons.

I think this also ties in with the OP's considerations too.

Cheers Richard
Old 07-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Fulltime on a wet winter island

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Hey Rob, I do like the plan that you have in mind. And realy love that area of Washington you are planning to retire to.
Was up that way last summer, including a fun visit with friends on Whidbey Island.
So after returning to northern Az for the winter, I started monitoring the weather there over one of their famous winters. Funny thing was that the temps were not much different to those here in Prescott area, warmer at times even.
The BIG difference was the sun, or lack of it. Plus the frequent rain.

This brought to mind the thought of building a shelter roof over the RV there to give it and the surrounding area some protection from the wind and wet.

I think doing this sort of shelter could go a long way to making a three season camper into a more comfortable home in those colder wetter seasons.

I think this also ties in with the OP's considerations too.

Cheers Richard
Thanks Richard. You give me pause to think about a shelter roof. Yes, it rains lightly most days from December into April. I have thought, let the water run off the rounded top. During those months there is also a possibility of light freezing too -- sometimes a week at a time. I'd like others to advise on the roof shelter and what to do about freezing.