Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
So...what's it worth?

Greetings Fellow Airstreamers!
Long time/no see. I have missed you all terribly.

Enough small talk, on to my question.

We've been using our Airstream Minuet, 7.3 since the day I found out I was pregnant with my 9 year old. We've used the heck out of it, loved every minute of it, but after all of these years, you can imagine that 9 year old and his older brother are taking up more space. Considering moving on to something a tad bigger. The question is, what's it worth?

Bad: hot water tank is cracked, we've never used the heat so who knows if it works, doesn't have a/c or awnings.

Good: Um, it's cool! really cool. Everyone says so.

It's not perfect. It's useable. Did I mention it's cool?

Any input would be appreciated before I put it on Ebay.

And for the sake of entertainment, I'd like to share with you our claim to fame. Our Airstream was ALMOST used as a prop for the cover of the Sears catalog. Unfortunately, that did not work out. However, no matter how pathetic, it remains our claim to fame. We need to get out more.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gosh - we were in a similar situation 9 months ago. Had a Minuet 6.0 that we loved, but sold to get more space. You've got a rare one there!

My guess, without more detailed pictures and stuff: around $5000-$6000. I think you'd get more $$ for it if you post it in the springtime rather than now in the dead of winter.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Thanks Mutcth!

Tom, Thanks for your reply!

The pictures I have on my profile are old. I'm not saying our "improvements" are actual improvements (all in the eye of the beholder, I guess) but we had it restriped to look more like the original, and new upholstery covers and pergo flooring installed. Other than that, it's pretty original. We also have a vintage awning, not Airstream original, but it's really quite fabulous, and I think anyone who is a vintage camper lover might agree.

I know that waiting for the summer months would be in my best intererst, but hate to find new when the old is still there. I have a 3rd vehicle in my driveway as a constant reminder of why this is just not a good idea.

So I have to ask, did you regret your decision to sell? With 10 years of frequent use dating back to early pregnancy to hikes in the mountains with our boys, we have so many memories wrapped up in this camper...but the pragmatic thinker in me is aware that it's camping we love and the posession is something I should be able to let go.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We LOVE the new(er) Airstream. Much more room, much more comfortable.

The Argosy was cute and we had invested a lot in renovating it. But I agree with you - it's the camping we enjoy more than owning the particular trailer. If situations changed and we had to go to a $5000 trailer instead of this $30,000 trailer - that would be OK.

The same situation came up when we sold our first RV, a T@B teardrop which we had towed nearly cross-country on a five week trip. Lots of memories with that one. But we still have the memories, even without still having the trailer.

There is definitely value in "cutting bait" and moving on. Did the same thing recently with a Miata I owned as well as a sea kayak I didn't use.

Tom
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think Tom gave some good advice about waiting till Spring. I would also suggest you list it here first and not on Ebay.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Frank's right. Listing it during the winter on eBay is just going to bring out bargain hunters. And people are probably less than flush with disposable income this month, right after the holidays.

At least if you listed it here in the forum Classifieds, it would be among an audience who knows what the trailer is - and how rare that specific model is. I got a lot of interest for my trailer when I sold it through listing it there.

Tom