Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Setting Up A Purchase

As a prospective first time buyer, I've got some serious reservations about setting up and online purchase. Everywhere I look, there are 'beware of scams' warnings. I realize there's no such thing as a 'typical transaction' but I'm certain there are some best practices. After some thought, how's this sound?

Must be a clean title and the prospective AS must be safe to tow. Have it picked up or delivered to an AS/RV maintenance/restore shop for a tip to tail inspection. Then, have the 'dealer' handle the sale - cash transaction and title transfer. To me, that seems sound and protects both parties are protected.

What's an acceptable/safe practice when there's no local shop/dealer to handle the transaction. What's worked for you? What sets of alarms when negotiating?
Thanks in advance for your help.
acemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, if I was the seller and this is what you wanted to do, the cost for the inspection would be on your dime whether the sale went through or not.

Most private sales are "as is" with no warranty implied. To protect yourself, you might want to look into getting it inspected by one of the volunteer inspectors from this Forum. Still no guarantee that everything is perfect but an experienced eye knows what to look for that are particular to Airstreams.

As to payment, again if I was the seller, I would prefer cash but would accept a wire transfer from your bank to mine where I would sign over the title. I would not accept a cashier's check, money orders, PayPal etc.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I would not buy anything sight unseen, and I would not transfer money to someone not standing in front of me. As I write this from my hotel room after driving 9 hrs with 2 to go in the morning to hopefully complete a transaction in person tomorrow with cash in hand, I have spoke with seller twice on the phone, seen online pictures AND had a local inspector (from list on forum) look at trailer in person and provide his assessment and more pics on what he found. Problem is all that takes time and if the trailer is a good value you run the risk of someone else getting it first. Better that than ending up taken for a ride
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
To follow up....Our new/old 91 Excella 25 is behind our tundra boondocking by nessesity just outside Quartsite Az After an awefull drive thru Los Angeles and on to Mesa Az we met our trailer. After seeing it in person and preparing for an ugly sight I was still taken aback. i was on a roller coaster from high to low and after some negotiation we came to an agreement and we would buy it. As we were trading cash for title a couple drove up to see the trailer that was no longer for sale. Sheesh what a day!
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If I ever sell my trailer privately and if it was a local buyer, I would meet them at the banking facility of their choice and have their bank issue me a cashiers check on site. I don't believe you can go wrong that way if the teller or bank official hands you the check. If it was an out of town buyer, I'd ask for a wire transfer to my bank.

I sold my SOB that way and went to the buyers bank where they gave me the cashiers check. I had the title with me and at that point I gave the title to the buyer. Since he lived close to me and his truck wasn't yet set up for towing, I delivered the trailer to his home that same day.

Cash in large bills is a more difficult situation. In selling vehicles for cash I've had a buyer bring me stacks of small bills because the buyer caught the bank off guard and they would not give the buyer all large bills because of their limited supply. If you as a buyer need large bills you need to give your banking facility advanced warning to make sure they have those large bills available. You also should understand how to verify that the cash you are receiving is good. Many folks are not familiar with large bills in this cashless society.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
In GA, titles are not issued on old trailers... so a current tag, tag receipt and bill of sale is what you usually get...
I've bought numerous campers this way, without problems.
Anything used should be sold "as is" so a thoroughly inspected camper is best.
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
I sold a 25ft Safari. Since I had calls from all over the USA, I did ask for a bank wire transfer. Would not entertain a sale without their overall and underall viewing the trailer, saving my time and unhappy buyers. Ended up selling it to a very nice young couple from within our state, did accept a cashier's check. Worked out o. k.

Good luck.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have sold two and bought two trailers to and from people I have contacted online. When I buy, phone calls usually give a good idea about who you are dealing with. I have done both wires and personal checks. I will say that my last sale and purchase were large enough that wires were the way to go.

Forums users are the folks I prefer to deal with.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote