Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Smile

Hey everyone. Sorry for the late reply. First want to wish you all a Happy New Year! Thank you all for the incredible information! It looks like I have a lot of thinking to do. There are two RV shows coming up in the Seattle area so I'm going to see what they have.

I'm going to continue searching for the perfect Airstream in my budget in case I get lucky but rather than exclusively searching for Airstreams, I'm going to be more open and search for other brands as well. It seems like it's going to be a mission to find a decent 30 AS in my area that's in my budget and doesn't require a ton of work but they do seem to come up every now and then from what others are saying here.

Dreams are slightly crushed but helped put things in better perspective.

Edit: Really wish there was a better way to filter on airstreamclassifieds.com. Example is filter by under 25k, Washington, and 1990's.
michaelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
You are living in a dream world...
Yep.

And don't forget to budget 50K for a tow rig that will pull the trailer.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Yep.

And don't forget to budget 50K for a tow rig that will pull the trailer.

Mike
I have a separate budget for that. Also 50k for a tow rig is a bit much. That'd be a brand new 2017 F250 with several options. Unless you mean 50k for trailer + tow rig which makes sense.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Nube questions?

As you can see, lots of experience here! I would approach it a little different, unless you have traveled, pulling a travel trailer in the past. The TT size, the tow vehicle, and the type trailer are all important considerations, as well as the cost. I would suggest starting with a smaller used travel trailer, and see if you really enjoy the life on the road first, before investing your $25K. A 30' with some TV combinations, is a "lot" of trailer to maneuver if your new to this.

We have had 5 travel trailers, including 3 AS's. We purchased a used a pop up first, then a 06', 25' AS, then a 08' 17' Casita, then an 08', 25' AS again. All of this over the past 18 years. Each time we were able to sell within a year or 2 and, recoup most or all of our original investments. (Even made a little money on a couple of them!) In 2014 we finally took the plunge for a new AS 25' FC Twin. We were able to negotiate a great price, and are happy with our choice. (except we wish we had ducted air!) But my point is, most everyone here on the AS forum, has seen new members "jump in" and purchase a new AS, only to find out it was not for them and selling; or, upgrading/downsizing with in a year or so. Until you travel some with any TT, you won't really know if this life is what you expected. You will see many folks on the road with an SOB (some other brand) travel trailer. There are few AS's out there compared to "other" travel trailers. Why? Cost has a lot to do with it, but the camping life or travel life "is" what it is all about.
Even though we are spoiled with our AS, it really is the experience on the road we enjoy most. (although wife will not even let me look at another TT!)

As a famous beer pitch man said recently, "choose wisely my friend!"

You can quickly invest a lot $$ on any TT and TV combination, and new will certainly depreciate fast, so make your choices carefully, perhaps even rent an AS prior to jumping in with your savings. There are a few places that rent AS and the TV. My 2 cents.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I would suggest starting with a smaller used travel trailer, and see if you really enjoy the life on the road first, before investing your $25K. A 30' with some TV combinations, is a "lot" of trailer to maneuver if your new to this.
We've traveled and worked remotely for 8 years around the world, just not with a TT. We're going to rent a setup for a weekend away to see what we like and don't like about it. We're pretty certain that this is what we want to do but it'd help to make the trip anyway at least to help select a TT and TV. Renting is certainly not cheap but think it'll be worth it.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I paid just a few grand north of 25k for our 2007. Just look harder. And don't let the negativity keep ya away.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Remember that a thing is worth what a willing seller will take for it from a willing buyer. Check ppl for what they have sold Airstreams for, as well as what they have for sale. Yes, they are in Texas, but if they happen to have the right coach for you it would be worth it to drive down and get it. Also, remember that you can offer what you think a coach is worth TO YOU to anyone who has one for sale. If they say "Absolutely NOT!!!" you have lost nothing. If they say "Yes" you have purchased a coach. They may want to negotiate.

Keep in mind that condition is everything. A 2010 Airstream that has always been kept in a garage except when actually out on the road and has brand new tires, brakes, and batteries, and is absolutely spotless inside and out is naturally going to sell for more than another 2010 that has been outside all the time, has the original tires, batteries, and brakes, and will take more than a little air freshener and elbow grease to get presentable.

If you are handy and have the time, you might want to try to find a diamond in the rough. I'm not suggesting a project coach, but one that maybe needs a little tlc.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt View Post
I have a separate budget for that. Also 50k for a tow rig is a bit much. That'd be a brand new 2017 F250 with several options. Unless you mean 50k for trailer + tow rig which makes sense.

Purchase price of my three year old turbodiesel truck and twenty-two year old vintage kin trailer was a couple of hairs shy of $30k. With a lifetime of experience -- and a trailer bought below market due to problems -- I also knew that I'd spend well more than the $10k on the TT that I posted above.

Sweat equity. And patience. Add in those two if nothing else meets the budget and much more can be done for less.

Original condition, even worn, is worth much. Great exterior (with allowance for AS clearcoat deterioration). Past that, interior water damage and electrical fires. (Avoid salvage title).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Kannapolis , North Carolina
I have not heard back from you as of
yet. I gave you an email address in my reply to you.

I might be able to help you but I am in NC.

If you are serious and ready please reply to the email address I gave you. OK?

Yup, sent from my iPhone 6Plus to Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Kannapolis , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hopefully your offer will help the OP find a suitable trailer. With a little patience the right trailer can be found for less than $25k. However, it seems the OP has not been around since the first post. I hope he returns.

I check in from time to time. 😎

Use thomm85n@icloud.com to get in touch with me.

We are selling our 1995 34' Airstream Excella FK (Front Kitchen)
Loads of extras installed at factory incl. 2 roof A/C's, 50-amp service, 7 new 16" 8-ply tires and 7 new aluminum wheels. Awnings on all sides, newer fridge, washer/dryer, short queen rear bed, porcelain toilet, 2 40# aluminum LP tanks, new dump valves and more. Asking $15k OBO for super quick sale. TT has always been garaged since we bought it in 2002, we are the 3rd owners. No floor rot, solid frame, E-qual-i-zer Hitch goes also. There is more.

Last time at factory I spent over $10k. I need the room in my garage for our 37' motor home this 34' Airstream is using!

TMeeker - user name

Yup, sent from my iPhone 6Plus to Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are units in your price/interest range available but all appear to be outside Washington state. Use Google with advanced search terms to locate offerings at other listing sites. Examples:

http://www.airstreamofmississippi.co...ail?id=2400010
http://www.optimumrv.com/product/use...1000-575793-29

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bouldero , Colorado
Message me if you need any original interior pieces (dinette, couch, etc). I have a 1984 excella that I plan to gut in the summer. Everything is in great condition, just not the right layout for me and the wife. Best of luck with your new venture, don't let anyone stop you!
Bobpuvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Tomball , Texas
What a great site and wonderful group of folks. Like MichaelT, I am new to the forum but not new to trailer camping. Here is a depreciation article that might be of interest though I don't think the Airstream line follows it exaclty. http://www.camperreport.com/rv-depre...bly-want-know/

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts in identifying the best Airstream diesel motorhome by year/model to consider as well as any tips or things to look out for. This would our first motorhome but I have already built a 30x30 14ft tall carport with RV hookups and have money laid aside for the right Airstream (though I might need some of the money to extend the carport... It is such a large purchase, I just don't know what model/yr that would be at this point. Our needs: we are retired with one son (6ft4in) and two standard poodles at home who would be traveling with us for up to one month/trip. Usage would be traveling to Colorado mountains, helping with Christian builders projects or perhaps attending an Airstream rally. Our initial thoughts are: around 30ft, diesel, cold climate capable, good A/C, twin beds for us and bunks for son/grandkids that has been well cared for (garaged, maintained). Thanks for listening and I would appreciate your thoughts and/or follow-up questions. Should I start another thread or stay in the one MichaelT started? Thanks
Happy_Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Welcome and good luck, Walt!

I will watch your progress here, Walt. I am sure many folks have considered an AS MH the size your looking for; 3 adults, 2 dogs, long term stays, diesel, etc. (Not sure the length your looking for--perhaps 30' + in length?)

Not sure AS makes something like that these days new in anything over 25', but lets see what the experienced AS members recommend. Happy hunting!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #35

Currently Looking...
Tomball , Texas
Hi Gypsydad

I don't believe AS produces MH's anymore (even if they did I couldn't afford them) but I did run across a 1999 AS Cutter (diesel) and a 2000 AS land yacht xc diesel 36ft that "looked beautiful" & priced within reach but have no idea what I could run into when trying to get them road ready (i.e. tires, batteries, radiator, hoses, belts, filters, brakes/trans/engine flush, etc). I have read on the MH forum where the guys are talking about rewelding rear axle brackets, replacing suspension parts, etc. I guess someone on that forum has done it. As someone recommended to MichaelT on this thread, I think I am going to try and visit an AS park in hopes of finding some MH owners to help educate me and keep reading everyone's comments. My wife really wants to try the MH route and I really want to try and keep it running in order to make it to all the places we envision traveling to. Just not sure what the ongoing costs & effort would be to keep something like this road worthy. I like to tinker but the thought of having a mechanical breakdown while traveling in one of these beasts could take the fun out of it rather quickly.
Happy_Trails is offline   Reply With Quote