Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
This is how I feel...I know you do too.

Iron Eyes Crying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crying-indian_fullhead80p.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	52287  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! I love'd that trailer at BB! Glad it found a "local" home - can't wait to see it again. I'm sure you won't notice the backing... Chris, Gary and the gang will light the way at night.... : > Oh yeah, YOU arrive during the day. Hee Hee!

About the van. I think you have the 5.4 L, so size wise you should be ok. Which gears? If you have a 3.2 or so, I'd think about going up to a 3.7 or 3.9 (I'm not sure what Ford uses). I have a 3.9 in my Dodge, and it tows great. I wouldn't go to a 4.11, it turns too fast. Good time for the ol limited slip too.

Of course, ditch the van and get a newer Dodge Magnum, or Charger, and you'd be styling. I'm sure you're right around #4000, not too heavy I think.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd love to pull with a Magnum, those are slick! Yup, you're right on about the weight, just under 4k.

Melody - LOL!

Here's a couple more pics. I believe someone could talk Darol out of the Pontiac too if they wanted a nice vintage tow vehicle, and believe me, it IS nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1968 Tradewind ExteriorFor Sale 005.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	52294   Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Tradewind ExteriorFor Sale 001.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	52295  

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Trade Winds ROCK, 68's more so

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'd love to pull with a Magnum, those are slick! Yup, you're right on about the weight, just under 4k.

Melody - LOL!

Here's a couple more pics. I believe someone could talk Darol out of the Pontiac too if they wanted a nice vintage tow vehicle, and believe me, it IS nice!
Stephanie,

That trailer is an absolute beauty and it and the Pontiac are made for each other. (not that I am biased toward old Pontiac TV's in any way - nope, not me)

Can you imagine how proud you guys and the pups would be tooling down the highway with that trailer behind you guys in your Pontiac? Is it a '62?

I'd be blowing the van away pronto and making a deal - or heck, Darol may just be interested in a trade, but he'd know that both the trailer and the Pontiac were going to a loving home.

Separating them is like, well, I don't know, like separating twins at birth or something...........

IMH and unbiased O at least

Barry
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
The pontiac's a beauty, no doubt, and way too nice to have a pack of dogs travelling in! Plus Dave has put his foot down about vintage tow vehicles. He doesn't mind the vintage trailer, but he wants to tow with something a bit more..well, I hate to say it, since we tow with a Ford..reliable

Though in reality that Pontiac is probably more reliable than our van! Dave's concept of vintage vehicles comes from years of experience with our less-than-realiable mustang projects.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Besides all that, I've had the Pontiac for almost 34 years (2nd owner) and I plan to be buried in it. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Steph,

I vote you keep the Caravel and buy the TW! Your Caravel is sweet... besides if you get a bigger trailer, and if Chris continues to look and winds up with a bigger trailer... our Bambi will think all her "sisters" have left her!

However, Darol gave me tour of the TW and it is a very nice trailer! Some decisions in life are just so hard....

Hey, if you are in the buying mood, Don says he will sell the 33 Chevy coupe!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the great state of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Hey, if you are in the buying mood, Don says he will sell the 33 Chevy coupe!
You have a real cruel streak, you know that?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Besides all that, I've had the Pontiac for almost 34 years (2nd owner) and I plan to be buried in it. Darol
Now THAT I can understand Darol. It sure looks like a beauty. I hope to get a chance to see it in person one of these days. I have had my Pontiac for close to 30 years and it's a forever car.

You sure did some outstanding work in that Airstream. Stephanie is right on the mark going for it, and you know it's going to a great home.

Barry
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I bought the Caravel hoping to stay in lots of little forest campgrounds, but in reality we haven't used it that way.
I have had my Trade Wind all over the place. I have yet to find a forest service campground it wouldn't fit in, maybe a site here or there it won't- but only rarely. If you get it out into the wilds, you will be just fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Well, I've spent a bit of time on the phone, and quite a bit of time emailing pictures and answering questions, but it seems like the serious 'ready to buy' people just aren't looking this time of year! It's a little frustrating.

I went and visited Darol and saw his TW again this weekend and I'm so excited to get it, but so sad to see my Caravel go

I hope the perfect owner is out there for it somewhere. Do other folks worry about making sure their Airstream goes into good hands?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Well, I've spent a bit of time on the phone, and quite a bit of time emailing pictures and answering questions, but it seems like the serious 'ready to buy' people just aren't looking this time of year!
I'm finding the same.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Well, I've spent a bit of time on the phone, and quite a bit of time emailing pictures and answering questions, but it seems like the serious 'ready to buy' people just aren't looking this time of year! It's a little frustrating.
We are still in the shadow of Christmas spending, I wouldn't worry to much until we get to the later part of March. I have no doubt that your AS will sell and at a good price.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #35
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I am finding the same thing here in Chatt Town. The cold temps are not helping either. Hang in there (or hang on there!). The weather will get better, some of the Christmas will be paid off, and then they'll go looking.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, I think I'll spend a little time fixing some of the detail items it still needs done. Nothing big, so it's probably easier to fix them than explain them

Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Food for thought...

• If I were selling a restored trailer, I'd wait until late spring/early summer to try & get the highest price I could. There are more people getting the bug to go camping then and they may be willing to pay a bit more.
  • If I were buying a restored trailer, I'd shop in the "off-season" to try & get a deal.
  • If I was looking for a fixer-upper, I'd want to maximize the winter months to do the fixin'-upin'...
  • If I found the "perfect" trailer, I'd buy it whenever for whatever! Especially if it was one I had been looking for for a long time or had very specific desires.
The bottomline is, there is a buyer out there for yours...hang in there!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:

I went and visited Darol and saw his TW again this weekend and I'm so excited to get it, but so sad to see my Caravel go

I hope the perfect owner is out there for it somewhere. Do other folks worry about making sure their Airstream goes into good hands?
Stephanie

I often have similar thoughts when selling one of my cars and I know I would with the Flying Cloud as well. I'm always looking for the "right" person to buy it so I know it will be appreciated. That has cost me sales and money at times and in the end no one treats them in the way that I do.

In the end, I sell them, I keep an eye on them as best I can for a while, but then the replacement takes total control and I'm focused on enjoying it.

The Caravel should/will sell but this is a tough time. Not quite warm enough where we live for people to get excited about buying a trailer, but by end of February they are starting to get the bug. Are you advertising in places other than the Forums?

Barry
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
I decided to pull the Caravel from the ads and do a bit of work on it. Decided I couldn't ask top dollar with it needing work. So I sanded and stained the kitchen cabinet frame, and a few other pieces in the trailer that were looking a bit shabby.

Next job is to get a new set of tires for it. I've been planning to paint the wheels black and get a set of trim rings and chrome hubcaps for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caravel1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	53614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4613.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	53615  

Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll spend a little time fixing some of the detail items it still needs done. Nothing big, so it's probably easier to fix them than explain them
Steph.

From the photo's, it looked like the axles were border line on your possible new purchase. (More costs).

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel