Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Scam?

I just listed my Airstream on the classifieds here. I got a very quick offer by text. He said he wanted to buy it and said he would pay by pay pal. Asked for my email and pay pal name. Said he would send a truck/freighter to pick it up.
Sounds way weird. How can I be scammed if I get the $$ in my pay pal account before releasing the trailer?
sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Run, run away. Anyone that claims they will buy sight unseen is a crook, stupid or crazy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
They can make a claim that they didn't get the item and PayPal will reimburse them and debit your bank account.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
So many ways.
https://craigslistpostingsecrets.wor.../pay-pal-scam/
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
He simply files a paypal protest, doesn't pay you, and you are out a trailer....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is it possible that the offer is from a legitimate buyer? Sara has a rare trailer for sale:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...ml#post1810908

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ri-23-georgia/

Sara, have you replied to the offer within the classifieds system and asked for similar background info. on the buyer? Like PayPal ID, email address, phone numbers, eBay ID if any, and so forth? If you keep it confidential within the Air classified's system, you might find out whether the buyer is legit IMO.

If they did not reply in the Air class. system, text them back and ask them to do so. They already have your cell number I guess. They will have to create a user ID etc. to do so. If they refuse, probably best to let this fish go IMO.

It would be a shame to lose a fish on the line, but without further assurances, the risks might be excessive.

Will research more later when I am back home.

Good,luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
E Bay and now it looks like Craigslist only protect the BUYER even when he is a crook.

When E Bay went to a Pay Pay requirement and some of my buyers did not have an account I would note in my discretion "If I can spend it you can send it". Never had any problem with the Green stuff.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Rate or not, no reasonable person drops $30k sight unseen!

Run!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Rate or not, no reasonable person drops $30k sight unseen!

Run!
"no" as in 100%?

Have you seen the ad and photos? What's the harm in Sara checking up on the buyer per my recent post? If it is a scam, she will have the reassurance that she gave a possible good deal a chance, before running away at the first inkling of trouble.

If the buyer jumps through the hoops Sara sets up, why not find out if the offer could pan out?

We're talking about taking control of this negotiation, and being in charge, instead of slamming on the brakes at the first sign of "trailer sway" !

Old 06-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
It's hard to be sure. All I know is that the hair on the back of my neck rose up. It's too easy.

Sight unseen offer is what triggered my paranoia. Add sending someone else to pick it up is another.

I made a very good living being s paid paranoid for many years. I trust my instincts, double check everything, and still worry. Nature of the business of a computer security guy, unfortunately.

Just be double darn careful. PayPal is not, and never will be as good as a real bank, or real cash.

Just saying...

Old 06-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
...and Sara should not forget the Paypal fee she'll have to disburse. Is it 5%? That's a pretty big discount.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
rmkrum, if the buyer jumps through the suggested hoops, including registering on Air Classifieds etc., why not proceed within the communication framework provided?

If they balk, they're out!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
. . .
I made a very good living being s paid paranoid for many years.
. . .
Where does one apply for such a position?

Old 06-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Be careful if they send you a link to Paypal to which they ask you to log on for account info. The link will be generated by them leading to a false Paypal login page. If you login using their link, they will have your account number, password and access to any and all accounts you have linked to Paypal. They will drain your accounts in short order.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got an email the other day, purportedly from PayPal, something about bypassing login information or something of that sort. It had a link.

I thought it was spam and just deleted it.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
"no" as in 100%?

Have you seen the ad and photos? What's the harm in Sara checking up on the buyer per my recent post? If it is a scam, she will have the reassurance that she gave a possible good deal a chance, before running away at the first inkling of trouble.

If the buyer jumps through the hoops Sara sets up, why not find out if the offer could pan out?

We're talking about taking control of this negotiation, and being in charge, instead of slamming on the brakes at the first sign of "trailer sway" !

First - I meant "rare" not "rate" and you *may* be right but I can't imagine someone buying any $30K purchase sight unseen unless they're in the 1% Bernie has made famous. So think about that...maybe 1% of the population can afford to drop $30K without knowing what they're getting. So what are the odds you're dealing with that person? Just 1%!

If it's too good to be true, run. But do whatever you want - we're all adults 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I got a similar offer for mine. I told them cash or cashier check in person only. Never heard from again. Google the email address. My "buyer" had multiple complaints.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Where does one apply for such a position?

Spend about 40 years in the computer business, be a very fast learner, understand multiple computer operating systems intimately, have a supportive boss, and be in the right place at the right time. Then spend ten years herding cats (programmers) into doing it within the rules.

Having a CISSP certification is also helpful.

And add in a degree in electronics, computer science, and management of information systems.

Modesty, charm, and good writing skills help, plus the ability to tell management "not only no, but hell no!" and make it stick when it came to enforcing security.

No, it wasn't ever easy. But it was a hell of a fun ride, and even in retirement I've still got my fingers in it.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Tell them you will do it through an online escrow service, like escrow.com.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
SSM, I was factoring in the rareness of the 1969 trailer, and Sara's apparent honesty and dedication in renovating the beauty.

Priceless!

And yes, if the chance of this buyer being legitimate is only 1%, isn't this better than -- ZERO -- percent chance if she dumps him (or her) now?

Again, why not take charge of the negotiation and put the buyer through the hoops suggested?

It's part of the FUN -- to turn the tables, like when you get a cold caller on the phone line and you immediately raise your voice, interrupt them, and ask for their home phone number and residential street address.

Fun while minimizing risk using the Air Classifieds communication system as the safety net.

Of course some people don't have the time or patience . . . No prob . . .

PS recent suggestions of cash or certified check in person, or an escrow service, make sense also.