Old 07-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
After doing your necessary research and you are still comfortable with someone other than YOURSELF staying in your Airstream, go for it. We have friends who have listed their Airstream on Air BnB. For the most part it has been a good experience, but as in all things where the public is involved, there are risks to be considered. If it works for you and it is alalowed where you live, it might be a nice spot of extra income for you!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I'll be following your thread to see how this works out for you. I've been thinking of doing something similar when I retire. We rented our Overlander for two different movie shoots and had no problems, but renting to an individual could be more risky. In one case we towed it and charged extra for transportation, the other time they towed it. I think one challenge would be if there's no sewer hookup making sure the renters understand the need for conserving water.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Only as long as you really do background checks!!

I own rental properties. I do background checking AND secure serious deposits and secure services of my attorney to draft rental documents. Do the same, and ALWAYS take digital photos (dated & time-stamped) of your rental (before/after). These steps should decrease your headaches and agrivation. Additionally, if possible, a regular at this site MAY be willing to be your eyes/ears on your AS for a fee.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Renting Out My MoHo

I've rented my Airstream out privately through Craigslist quite a few times...I never have issues booking it out for whenever I'm not going to use it. I've used other companies (RVshare.com, privatemotorhomerental.com) etc...but in the end what they charge in fees for their "insurance" I've found not to be worth it. A close family friend of mine owns a local insurance company and I have a policy through them that covers me 20 times as much for 1/4 of what I was losing in fees. Mind you mine is a Class A, so I am giving full control over the renter, but I have a system in place that does an amazing background check on any potential renter, and I do charge a pretty hefty deposit...but no more than the usual for Class A diesel pushers. On top of which where I live there's basically only one other coach in my category as competition...so not too bad.

I say go for it. I make the majority of my income on my rental properties as is. I own a few rental homes and apartments buildings, my Hatteras, my Fountain (which I use the most so I think I've rented it out maybe once) and my AS XC Diesel pusher...and it all comes down to VETTING your renters. I've had mostly great renters, but there have been a few horror stories. Sometimes people just sneak past even the best of background checks. As this is your first time in the rental world I highly recommend using a rental management company...but vet the hell out of them too...you wouldn't believe how bad some can be. There are sadly far more slumlords than decent landlords.

In the end...honestly, it's a crapshoot, so it really comes down to if you need the income or not. With my Airstream I looked at it as possible income that was just sitting there way to often (after I finished up with the project that I needed it which had me full-timing) and I HATE to see potential income go to waste. But, even the best of insurance policies probably have some loophole built in that's gonna end you up on the receiving end of the tow hitch...anyways...good luck, I say do it, but I have Aspergers and wouldn't take my own advice most of the time, hehe...(if you can't laugh at yourself, you have no sense of humour).
Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
I've had my airstream on airbnb for 3 years. It's been a positive experience for the most part. Make's around $5,000 a year and it force's me to keep up on the maintenance. I have full hooks up on my property and never would I allow anyone traveling rights. It's a little like work with doing laundry & cleaning. But when our family is ready to travel land shark is in terrific shape and ready to go.. Airbnb 1099s you at year end tax time and of coarse you can write of the expenses related to the cost of doing business. In some area a room tax is required, you'll have to check your local city requirements. Airbnb has a $1,000,000.00 liability policy for damage's and I have used it, when a guess lite and failed to lift, shattering my cook-top glass lid. $380 and they paid.

Overall the people are very excited and considerate. Mostly just looking for the airstream experience without the full commitment.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
You might want to check with the agency or owner that is running the campground where you plan to do this to make sure that this will be OK with them.
I just noticed that the Michigan State Parks reservation system includes this rule:
If you are commercially using state lands (which includes state parks and boating access sites), you should be aware an agreement with the DNR is required to approve this commercial use. Commercial operations are defined as: “any activity that involves, directly or indirectly, the buying or selling of goods or services, or the exchange or attempt to offer to exchange goods or services for money, barter, or for anything of value.” The DNR has determined that rental of recreational equipment, (which includes delivery, commercial set-up and tear-down services) on state owned lands requires oversight by the Department to minimize conflicts and set standards of conduct. Additional information and the application form may be found at DNR Permission to Use State Lands Redirect. Questions should be directed to Brenda Mikula, Concession/Lease Manager at (989) 275-5151 x2006 or mikulab@michigan.gov.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
nashville , Tennessee
Hey Land Shark,
I am also a host on airbnb and am soon purchasing an AS for a 12 month adventure while our home is being built. When we are done traveling our new home will be built and I want to begin renting the AS as a stationary room on airbnb. I am a noob to this life so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do you have sewer hookups for a stationary rental? Many thanks in advance! Jeannie
Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You have a couple of choices. If you intend to someday use your Airstream for travel you don't have to do anything special to use it as a rental. You just need to make sure your renters understand how to use the toilet and what is NOT to be put down it. And of course you'd need to dump the tanks periodically as needed. If you have a sewer hookup that will not be an issue. If you do not, you will most likely have to transport the rig to a dump station for dumping or have a service come to empty your tanks. If you have a dump set-up you may leave the grey tank valve open until the day before you plan to dump the black. The black tank needs to remain closed so it accumulates sufficient liquids to properly drain when you dump it. Closure of the grey valve the day before dumping the black will give you a supply of grey water to rinse the hose. (Dump yhe blak first then the grey.)

If you want to turn it into a "park model" you can replace the RV toilet and plumbing with a residential toilet and connect to city water as you would in a house. The latter is more work in the beginning but will save time and effort as you move forward. But it is also harder to reverse so that it can be used for travel.

We lived there in our Bambi for 4 months while repairs were made to our home affter a flood. We just used the regular plumbing set up and it worked fine.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Jeannie, you just might want to park your AS right at your job site and SUPERVISE the build of your home. Thank God that I did just that! You would not believe how sloppy and wrong the job will go if you are NOT there to check/correct the work. Don't be led to believe the hype from the builder and the sub crews. I was on-site EVERY day; caught many issues that needed correction. You have the time; make sure you manage your REAL house. Glad I was watching the new house go up!!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
leavenworth , Washington
Talking sewer hook ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
Hey Land Shark,
I am also a host on airbnb and am soon purchasing an AS for a 12 month adventure while our home is being built. When we are done traveling our new home will be built and I want to begin renting the AS as a stationary room on airbnb. I am a noob to this life so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do you have sewer hookups for a stationary rental? Many thanks in advance! Jeannie
I just dug a ditch to my sewer line off the house ....or find your sewer tank and tap into that...there should be a cap on top take it out and 90 into it then I used spray foam around the pipe to keep it in place.make sure you go into the intake side. boomer3
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
leavenworth , Washington
I know where everything is under ground so that made it much easier. I installed my own septic system . I set it up like they do at the rv parks ....a treated 4x4 in the ground 4ft above ground so you can attach electric and water . The sewer hook up will be 2 inches above ground good luck
Old 08-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
Hi Jeannie,

I am a developer/builder so I provide a 4" drain line connection to my mainline in my driveway during one of my home remodel projects.

Have your contractor provide a 4" clean out that is close and lower then the airstreams dump valve. It can double as a drain and should not cost very much from the sound of a year long project. Plumber has to provide a clean out by code anyway. You will also need a low pressure water line, no point on a high pressure line even though your airstream has a PRV, and a 30 or 50 amp (depends on your airstream) 110 designated circuit for power. Electrician can provide that for you, but be sure he understand it's 110 not 220. A 30 or 50 amp outlet in house language is 220 and you will fry the airstream with that.

Thank you,
Glenn Stern
Old 08-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
nashville , Tennessee
Thanks Glen! This is great information! I really appreciate your advise. I'm so glad to know this going into it. We told the builder today that we want a good parking space for the AS, I will add this info for him.
Jeannie