Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Southern Pines , North Carolina
Question re: logistics of selling Airstream (that I still owe and am financing)

So I am a bit of a failed Airstream owner.

Three years ago, my wife and I bought a beautiful 2014 25' FB International -- we decided that it would be a wonderful opportunity for us to travel with our three kids (then ages 4,7,9) and see the country. While we have had great adventures, we have not used it as much as expected. I think I leaped before I looked, and now my thoughts turn to financing the kids' education rather than putting that money towards an Airstream that is not getting the use it should.

This is probably too much information. I'm just wanting to give background as to reasons for wanting to turn around and sell a trailer that we only recently purchased . . . some guilt and regret and lessons learned .

QUESTIONS regarding selling:

1) best options would be airstreamclassifieds.com and rvtrader.com? Try to sell on consignment with dealer in NC that I bought from? Any other recommendations?

2) I still owe on the trailer. Does anyone have suggestions as to educating myself about the selling process? Specifically, I am wondering about the logistics of: a) deciding on a price with buyer, b) receiving payment from buyer, c) paying off bank who I am financing with, and d) transferring title (which bank currently holds, not me). It seems like multiple simultaneous transactions, and I am unsure how to manage them. Do I need a property lawyer to help with this (regarding selling a trailer that I am still financing and do not completely own)? What is the best form of payment to accept from buyer?

The trailer is in excellent condition and has been lovingly cared for. I am hoping to sell for same amount that I owe, but ultimately I'm a motivated seller and will do what I need to do to move it.

Thanks in advance to anyone having wisdom or experience to share on this.

P.J.
Southern Pines, NC
sopines5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Hi

We sold a 16' sport that was financed. I would suggest you call the bank that holds your title, they will/should have some good information for you. Ultimately when we sold ours, I had to mail the title to the buyer after their check had cleared my bank. They took possession of the trailer when they met me at my bank with their check. So they had to trust that I would send the title on after I received it a month or so later. It might not have worked out, had the buyer been "out of the country" and wanting to send their "agent".

We listed here, as well as craigslist and rv trader.

Depending on your down payment, you should be able to get close for what you owe. We came out a little bit ahead after 10 months, but had a decent down payment to start.

Good luck with your sale!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After some 1400 nights travel and camping in our Airstream, we purchased a winter home in the Southwest and decided sell our 25 to downsize to a smaller Airstream in the near future. We had paid cash for it when new and had the title in hand, that helped.

We had planned to sell it ourselves but on the way home we stopped at an Airstream dealer to check on consignment sales (something you might consider). They wanted it, consignment or they offered decent cash for it. We sold it to them and left with a check.

That was the easy way. Perhaps you can see what your dealer can do for you.
They get a lot of potential Airstream customers coming through and they sell used Airstreams quickly.

You have to be realistic about price expectations no matter how you sell it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

All helpful information. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
camper collector

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Americus , Georgia
PJ
Give me a call about your Airstream
David
229-942-4969
camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Adona , Arkansas
I"m interested

I have been wanting a travel trailer for two years or so. Today I was looking on Craig's list and found what had to be a scam, for a Bambi but it got me looking which led me here. Yours may be way out of my budget, and the financing may be easier through a dealer. I haven't looked into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopines5 View Post
So I am a bit of a failed Airstream owner.

Three years ago, my wife and I bought a beautiful 2014 25' FB International -- we decided that it would be a wonderful opportunity for us to travel with our three kids (then ages 4,7,9) and see the country. While we have had great adventures, we have not used it as much as expected. I think I leaped before I looked, and now my thoughts turn to financing the kids' education rather than putting that money towards an Airstream that is not getting the use it should.

This is probably too much information. I'm just wanting to give background as to reasons for wanting to turn around and sell a trailer that we only recently purchased . . . some guilt and regret and lessons learned .

QUESTIONS regarding selling:

1) best options would be airstreamclassifieds.com and rvtrader.com? Try to sell on consignment with dealer in NC that I bought from? Any other recommendations?

2) I still owe on the trailer. Does anyone have suggestions as to educating myself about the selling process? Specifically, I am wondering about the logistics of: a) deciding on a price with buyer, b) receiving payment from buyer, c) paying off bank who I am financing with, and d) transferring title (which bank currently holds, not me). It seems like multiple simultaneous transactions, and I am unsure how to manage them. Do I need a property lawyer to help with this (regarding selling a trailer that I am still financing and do not completely own)? What is the best form of payment to accept from buyer?

The trailer is in excellent condition and has been lovingly cared for. I am hoping to sell for same amount that I owe, but ultimately I'm a motivated seller and will do what I need to do to move it.

Thanks in advance to anyone having wisdom or experience to share on this.

P.J.
Southern Pines, NC
Coffeeandsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I bought my 2009 25FB from a classified ad on airforums. By the time I saw the ad and contacted the seller he already had two offers and I was the third. Fortunately for me the other deals fell through (they didn't show up with the a deposit to hold it as seller requested) and I bought it. Having a lot of pictures and a detailed description in the classified ad helped me understand what I was hoping to buy!

I mention this because it is a hot market for slightly used AS right now and 25' seems to be a sweet spot. And also make sure any prospects are willing to lay some money on the table to show that they are interested!

Wishing you success!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Good luck with your sale I like to also offer a bit of advice be sure to post lots of good pictures.
I see a lot of ads where they put three or four pictures you don't really get a good sense of the of the unit I'm not sure the total amount of pictures you get on that Airstream classified site but I'd use every one of them inside and outside pictures.

I think you'll be able to sell it probably for about what you are wanting but be open to all offers and be careful of scams, cash in hand or money at a bank no other way.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I may in theory be selling my 2014 bunkhouse (not at all certain though) but to get a brand new one ....so your question is well timed for me too.

Guess if I decide that route - I'll have to discuss with my bank about details.

Probably will start with my dealer though and see how that plays out for simplicity.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
A Bill of Sale is an important consideration. Especially a notarized "warranty" (maintenance "as is" condition) and selling price (in event of licensing tax). Jim
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
PJ

Give me a call about your Airstream

David

229-942-4969

David -
Will certainly give you a call. Tied up at work until late evening. May not be until tomw. Thx much.
-Paul J
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Good luck with your sale I like to also offer a bit of advice be sure to post lots of good pictures.
I see a lot of ads where they put three or four pictures you don't really get a good sense of the of the unit I'm not sure the total amount of pictures you get on that Airstream classified site but I'd use every one of them inside and outside pictures.

I think you'll be able to sell it probably for about what you are wanting but be open to all offers and be careful of scams, cash in hand or money at a bank no other way.

Thx Carl. This is the wisdom and experience I'm looking for in figuring out how to approach selling. Yep - lots of pics.
-Paul J.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I bought my 2009 25FB from a classified ad on airforums. By the time I saw the ad and contacted the seller he already had two offers and I was the third. Fortunately for me the other deals fell through (they didn't show up with the a deposit to hold it as seller requested) and I bought it. Having a lot of pictures and a detailed description in the classified ad helped me understand what I was hoping to buy!

I mention this because it is a hot market for slightly used AS right now and 25' seems to be a sweet spot. And also make sure any prospects are willing to lay some money on the table to show that they are interested!

Wishing you success!

THANKS. Appreciate the advice. It seems like a lot of trust from potential buyer to me, if I am asking them to put down a deposit to show interest. Did the person you bought from have some sort of contract to make sure your deposit was not at risk? Is the idea that potential buyer could lose said deposit if they changed their mind? I'm asking this to make sure I am fair with potential buyer.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Use the forums classified to evaluate other trailers for sale. That will help you formulate a price.

When you agree, use your bank to help you facilitate payment. As there will likely be a balance due, your banker can agree to receive the funds and then disburse them to the lien holder. Your banker will also be able to handle the funds you need to forward to the lien holder by wire. Having the incoming funds sent to your bank by wire, and your bank sending the wires to the lien holder will ensure everything is done.

This will be a significant amount of money you are dealing with. Be sure you handle this in a prudent manner, and insist on same from your buyer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
First off; You WILL get scammers contacting you when you list it so be very careful with whom you deal. I have bought and sold a few big ticket items on craigslist, like cars and a harley or two, and in fact I bought my AS there(after inquiring about a few that were scam deals).
Several times I've had to wait for a title to arrive from a lien holder, and folks have had to wait on one coming to me. It's just part of the transaction so don't be too anxious about it.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopines5 View Post
THANKS. Appreciate the advice. It seems like a lot of trust from potential buyer to me, if I am asking them to put down a deposit to show interest. Did the person you bought from have some sort of contract to make sure your deposit was not at risk? Is the idea that potential buyer could lose said deposit if they changed their mind? I'm asking this to make sure I am fair with potential buyer.
Let me clarify a bit. The seller only asked for a deposit after I agreed to buy the AS. We wrote up a sales agreement establishing the final selling price (after a bit of negotiation) and when I would return with the balance of the asking price. If I did not return with the balance the deposit was at risk as per our agreement. IIRC the deposit was relatively small, like $1k.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I would not call you a failed Airstream owner. IMHO you have the wisdom to periodically re-think your goals and revise your plans... and then the chutzpah to actually change. Of course you could keep the trailer and wish on a star to win the lottery, instead.

So I say bravo! And I hope you'll get a new Airstream when the time is right.

Respectfully, Paula
Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I would not call you a failed Airstream owner. IMHO you have the wisdom to periodically re-think your goals and revise your plans... and then the chutzpah to actually change. Of course you could keep the trailer and wish on a star to win the lottery, instead.

So I say bravo! And I hope you'll get a new Airstream when the time is right.

Respectfully, Paula

Really appreciate that. Thanks.