Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Valley View , Texas
Purchasing 2012 Sport 22FB HELP!

My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a 2012 AS Sport 22. Wanted to get some opinions from you guys with experience. This unit is used but looks practically brand new. We are paying $28,500 for the unit which I think is a good deal correct? Main concern is size. It will be my wife, son (4m), two dogs and me. We are not needy ppl and don't mind small space but def want some opinions. Longest trip we will take is 14 days maybe. Mostly 3-6 day trips. Please any help appreciated.....Thanks Guys!

bdarbyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, size is pretty subjective, but I had a 22' SOB during my family's growing up years. We traveled extensively in it. It was fine until the kids got Jr High age, then it was pretty crowded and spawned some sibling unrest.
That was with 2 adults, 3 kids (2 yrs apart each) and a 45 lb dog. It would've been fine with 2 kids. (Layout and size of bed issues)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bobby, I have a 17 footer and solo. When I bought the trailer I thought it would plenty big enough for me. The more time I spend in it the more I wish I had bought a larger trailer, something in the 20 to 22 foot range. More elbow room, more storage and a decent sized permenant bed is what I find I would be more comfortable with.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Two thoughts, and welcome!

1. Price is Soooo good I'd be concerned about frauds or scams.. I hope that isn't an E-Bay or Craigslist ad remote from where you are, but if it is be very careful about sending anyone money or releasing funds until you have physical possession, good title, etc... There are lots of scams on both sites offering pictures and descriptions of an unowned trailer with speical excuses for having to sell, special "arrangements" for phony escrow or delivery services, etc... Careful is the word when deals get really good..

2. That said, there are happy families traveling in smaller trailers, and unhappy couples in larger trailers, so it does depend on your needs and lifestyle and plans.. Whether a mini-crib is coming along, or son will sleep on the bed made from the dinette, it is going to mean a lot of "closeness" between his bed and yours for as long as you own the trailer, and an effort to set up and lower dinette each time you switch from bed mode to eating mode, or even sitting adn playing games, reading, etc.. Many do that and consider it a minor task, others find it a pain.. The overall trailer size is small and light enough to be easily towed, and relatively easy to maneuver, even with a modest SUV or pickup... As for dog, posts here indicate some have bed privileges, some live under dinette-beds, and others will work something out that all can live with.. If dog is OK traveling in car, they usually adapt well to life in trailer, especially for a lot of long weekend kinds of trips...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ditto on the concern over a potential rip-off. Can't be too careful these days.

Plus, IMHO, a bigger one isn't harder to tow at all, and I have not heard anyone say they had tooo much space. You do hear the opposite from time to time, though. It's called "two-foot-itis"
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Isn't it the 22' models with frame breaking issues?

And yes, the price seems too good to be true.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Seems like a reasonable size for your small family. Although we do not have a much experience as many others here, the two of us are quite comfortable in our 22' with ~30lbs worth of dog.
1960 Safari 22
Budget M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Valley View , Texas
Thanks Guys! This input is great. Im buying this AS from a very large RV dealer with 100% refundable deposit upon inspections. Buy I am being very cautious. My family and I look forward to joining the community. More input greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!

bdarbyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Isn't it the 22' models with frame breaking issues?

And yes, the price seems too good to be true.
You are thinking of the earlier 200x models which are a completely different design. The 22' 2003-4-5-6 are tandem axle, and early models had issues with the frame and outriggers. Later models (about 05 and up) had beefier frames... some earlier models had kits installed... any of those need close inspection just in case.

The 22' sport is a single axle... quite simple in construction, no rock-guards, no pano-windows... other cheaper materials... so $30K is not 'too cheap'.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
If you check the online price listings on sites like, for a used 2012 22 Sport, I think you will find that the price for your trailer is good but not low enough to be concerned about a scam or other problem driving the price down.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You should be just fine, and yes that's a good price from a dealer. We've had ours for 5 years now and have no regrets. Easy to tow, easy on gas, and east to get in tight spaces.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote