Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #1

Peotone , Illinois
Purchase Advice

I have been an Airstream Want- to- Be for years. Reading and researching. Now it's time to purchase. A couple of questions would really ease my mind. I do have a tow vehicle- a V-8 Truck so I can pull easily.
I'm trying to decide between a used 2004 22cdd in great condition or purchasing a new Sport 22FB. Since I want to travel often and driving 1000 mile trips would it be better to have 2 axles or a single axle trailer? Thoughts?
Second question- I have the funds to purchase the used 22 cdd but if I plan on keeping the trailer many years would it be smarter to put a chunk down and finance a new trailer with the peace of mind of warranty, newer technology, parts etc. I just don't want to be constantly repairing, and updating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Scot31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Wow, comparing a 2004 to a new trailer; now there's a bit of a stretch.

My take, for what its worth.......

Buy the 2004 and pay cash as most of the really big depreciation is already done. You will not be in a financial upside down situation that the new trailer could put you in.

If you think that a brand new trailer doesn't require repairs or maintenance as much as an older trailer, you could be in for a rude awakening. Newer doesn't mean better.

Two axles will limited sway situation on the highway; allow you to control a blowout on your trailer much better and increase your storage payload limit.

BTW Preventative maintenance is the way to go. Updating systems can actually be a lot of fun, make you understand your trailers systems better and be cheaper than buying something already in the trailer.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hi, welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search. There are strongly held opinions on both of your questions.

2 axles v. 1
Pro - with two axles you can have more margin for weight with axles and tires, a single tire failure is not totally disabling - you can tow short distances at reduced speeds with one tire on one side.
Con - with two axles there is more stress on tires when turning, there are more tires to maintain and replace.

Regarding new v. used - you can read the threads on here about build quality and problems. Don't let it overwhelm you, people seldom write in to say how great their trailer is, but some do.

Considerations if buying used:
1. If you get a gently used and well maintained used trailer, the previous owner(s) will have worked out all the bugs, but when a problem does happen, its going to be on your nickel.
2. Someone else ate the depreciation.
3. If you use it a while and decide you absolutely have to have something else, you will be out way less money when you trade.
4. There is a wealth of information on here about DIY repairs if you are the DIY type. Most things are not rocket science. If you are reasonably handy with tools and have done some auto maintenance, the Airstream should be within your skill set.

Considerations if buying new:
1. Everything will be under some kind of warranty for some period of time. They won't all be the same - appliances and some, if not all, accessories are covered by their manufacturers.

2. If you plan to buy from a dealer near you with a good service reputation, that could weigh in for the new trailer. If you don't have a nearby dealer, or if the ones nearby don't have good reputations, the warranty may not be worth much. You could have to drive a day or more, leave the trailer, come back and pick it up.

3. You will probably take a significant hit for depreciation if you trade in a few years. While Airstreams hold their value very well over the ling run, the first few years are tough.

4. It will be NEW! You will be the first person to use it. This is good and bad; you will be the first person to sleep in the beds, use the shower, etc. but the first dent or scratch can be traumatic if you are concerned about those things.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy whatever you decide upon.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Pensacola , Florida
2018 Bambi- bought new- used once-in shop indefinately now

I’m not sure what advice to give, but if you’re going to purchase, be careful- I purchased brand new 2018 Bambi from Dixie RV in Defuniak, FL - used once and refrigerator stopped working- it has been in shop @ Dixie RV ever since- “bad board” 2 weeks to have new one put in and “it blew” so have another shipped and it blew, so need to check front panel. It has been 4 weeks. I have contacted main airstream warranty and spoke with them 3 times through this saga. They say “yes, we approved shipping of a new board” 3 times- So, brand new airstream for 5 weeks- been in shop for 4 and no one can tell me if I can get in in the next 2-3 months- I’m out $47k and have a trailer hitch and some tire cho chocks to look at and no idea when I get a new airstream back with refirigerator.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote