Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Possible purchase need purchase/deposit/title forms

Hi we are newbies going to check out a trailer this weekend. Any recommended standard purchase contract/form etc?? We want to be covered/protected should we decide to put down a deposit. What is the usual deposit amount on a trailer below 8k?? We would want to pay the balance upon pick up which would be a month or so down the road. Also what do we need to ask for on this first trip regarding Title?? Just need a general overview of how this whole deal should go down.
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would just hand write a purchase agreement. I would include the agreed upon total price, the VIN of the trailer, what accessories are included, and the approximate date that I will come and get the trailer. I would also take a complete set of photographs, both interior and exterior, to include any accessories.

I would offer an earnest money deposit of $500. If the owner wants more, I would not go over 10% of the purchase price.

There is probably some sort of standard automotive/RV sales contract available on-line.

Keep us posted and let us see some of the pictures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A month is a long time and there are all kinds of ways a deal like that can go haywire, so know that there are risks and be sure your seller isn't a flake. The biggest problem is that something can happen to the seller -- maybe they get a job in Florida that they absolutely can't pass up, or are hospitalized for a severe case of athlete's foot or something -- and dealing with the trailer sale is then the furthest thing from their mind. Life happens even with a seller that isn't out to rip people off.

The best way to protect yourself is to keep the deposit small and keep the time period between the deposit and the purchase short. There's something to be said for purchasing the trailer outright and getting all the paperwork done on the first Ttrip -- if you have the cash -- then it's yours and if the seller goes to New Zealand to help his cousin with the family sheep farm you can just hook onto the trailer when you're ready and take it home, because it's yours. On the other hand the risk of loss is yours too but you can get insurance at that point if that's a concern.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I guess I'd add that you should insist on actually seeing the title before putting down any money. Lots of sellers think they know where it is but can't find it, or have registration only and no title, or have a title that's in someone else's name that they never transferred, his ex's name is still on it, etc. So you want to confirm that

a) he has it
b) it's in his name or in the name of people who are present and available and willing to sign
c) the VIN matches
d) it appears valid and doesn't have any surprises (a salvage brand, for example)
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yup - what Jammer said. Best to get all your arrangements in order before you try to make the purchase.

It may seem like you have to snatch this one up right now, but you will be better served if you get all your ducks in a row first. After all, you have years of Airstreaming ahead of you. No sense handicapping yourself.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I'll second Jammer and pm's answer and add my experience. MH was being sold by a boat dealer, his personal MH, said he had title, turns out he didn't, had to clear mortgage before he could legally sell, as a dealer he knew, as a buyer I wasn't careful enough to say let me see your title. Only cost was three months before I could get a title and plates, he put on temp dealers plate from the dealership, even thought it was for a trailer and couldn't legally be put on a MH. I drove it home and it sat for three months, no big deal in Jan but your June timing would take the whole summer season.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote