Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Overlander Field Model What would you advice

Hi Folks,

After months of reading here I understand the wisdom and advice is to buy the best Airstream you can afford and you will be money ahead in the end. It seems to me to be a sound strategy and it is not lost to me in my search.

My question, Is there a scenario where the price is lower enough that it makes good sense to go ahead and do a fix up?

I have the opportunity to obtain a Gutted 70’s Overlander field model with a couple of decent dents. For helping someone with a tile job that I would help for free so the trailer is kind of free. I know there is no such thing as a free horse and probably the same can be said for an old coach. I am not looking for trouble. Is that what I am heading for? Or woud you say go for it?

I can do all the woodwork, fumble my way though others, horse trade others, and get a pro to do real safety things like propane. I know part of the answer is going to be do I really want to take on a project of that size and complexity. What I think would be ideal for me is a Tradewind/Overlander dbl floor plan with the wood of the pre-70's. in a newer trailer. This could be one way to get it. I will say I have never abandon a project once I have committed. I can continue to use my tent trailer until I get well along the way.

Thanks in advance Tony S
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, "free" is a good start - but just go into it knowing you will probably spend $5-15K or ??? on the restoration in the end. If you post some pics people can probably help you determine if it is in restorable condition or too far gone. Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Hi Folks,

After months of reading here I understand the wisdom and advice is to buy the best Airstream you can afford and you will be money ahead in the end. It seems to me to be a sound strategy and it is not lost to me in my search.

My question, Is there a scenario where the price is lower enough that it makes good sense to go ahead and do a fix up?

I have the opportunity to obtain a Gutted 70’s Overlander field model with a couple of decent dents. For helping someone with a tile job that I would help for free so the trailer is kind of free. I know there is no such thing as a free horse and probably the same can be said for an old coach. I am not looking for trouble. Is that what I am heading for? Or woud you say go for it?

I can do all the woodwork, fumble my way though others, horse trade others, and get a pro to do real safety things like propane. I know part of the answer is going to be do I really want to take on a project of that size and complexity. What I think would be ideal for me is a Tradewind/Overlander dbl floor plan with the wood of the pre-70's. in a newer trailer. This could be one way to get it. I will say I have never abandon a project once I have committed. I can continue to use my tent trailer until I get well along the way.

Thanks in advance Tony S
You can't beat free as a starting point because you will spend some money (how much depends on your skills) to restore/refurbish it. I say if it feels right go with it, but if you truly want a 50s/60s unit then wait.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Tony,

There's a lot to be said for sweat equity and if you're willing to trade services for product I'd say go for it. You seem to recognize the efforts it will take to accomplish what you want and the starting price certainly seems appropriate.

Putting one back together is a great deal of work but you get to add the materials you desire and make the layout to suit your needs.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Sometimes the word FREE, is just a motivation to help others delete their problems and get you to willingly take them, continuing to utter the word, 'free' for years to come, believing you actually received a blessing.
This can also be called deception.
It all depends on your skill level, time and money available....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I hear you. INSIDEOUT I loved your work on "Birdie" just got through most of the your post I like the look of the wood work. As a furniture builder great job. That look of yours is why I like vintage. Anybody style works for me. I also like the Mahogany they used for awhile I think it was quarter saw Sapele. The trailer is 5 hours away I just happen to be going there and I will try to get some pics midweek next. I am awed, inspired and a bit worried when I see your work and what it takes. Best Tony S
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote