Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Opinions on trading up....

Hey everyone,

I talked last fall and after some help from everyone here, ended up getting a used 2013 16 ft Sport. We camped in it a few times before fall was over and I since then had a baby, and have decided after our 2 trips out in it, that we NEED two tanks and a shower / toilet that's separate. So we are looking to do a 19 ft after all. I feel like everyone said this would happen

Anyway, I'm talking to a dealer, who is telling me he has another dealer with a 2015 19 ft Flying Cloud that the other dealer had a client end up not take and he will give it to me at a "steal" of a price if I want it. I'm trying to figure out if this is really a steal. He's saying it would be $71K but he would do it for $54K. Not so sure this is a steal at all. Maybe it is. I would also be trading my 16 ft in and am wondering how much he's going to screw me on that too.... Any thoughts would be great.

I had considered just selling mine (the previous owner bought it new and camped in it 2 times, then me 2 times. There was still plastic on the mattress when I got it.) but just didn't know if it was worth it to do that and then look for another 19 ft.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I am suspicious as well. Look at the MSRP on this one:

Airstream For Sale DE - 2015 Flying Cloud 19C Bambi

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Doesn't sound good to me either.

You could get 15 - 18 percent off of MSRP on a new 2015. Colonial has the 19c at MSRP 61K. So 15% off would put the price at $51.85.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Gosh, yeah! What's up with this guy?! I hate working with dealers. Seriously. He also said "you can take this one or you can order one which will take 5 months to come in". Can't they do like dealer trades? All seems fishy.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
How about a 25' FB? Or a 27 FB? Lots of folks love them. That way you just skip the 19 footer, which you'll outgrow as well

Just kidding. But I have two kids, and I like my 34 footer a LOT!

Get the one you want and go have fun!

See ya on the road!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Man I almost tend to agree! We outgrew that 16' one in 5 minutes flat. Could be because I was 8 months pregnant

Thing for me is we gotta keep it halfway light due to our tow vehicle. And also, I like to be able to pull it myself, and do. I think a 19' is as big as I'd feel comfortable pulling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
How about a 25' FB? Or a 27 FB? Lots of folks love them. That way you just skip the 19 footer, which you'll outgrow as well

Just kidding. But I have two kids, and I like my 34 footer a LOT!

Get the one you want and go have fun!

See ya on the road!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie5 View Post
Anyway, I'm talking to a dealer, who is telling me he has another dealer with a 2015 19 ft Flying Cloud that the other dealer had a client end up not take and he will give it to me at a "steal" of a price if I want it. I'm trying to figure out if this is really a steal. He's saying it would be $71K but he would do it for $54K. Not so sure this is a steal at all. Maybe it is. I would also be trading my 16 ft in and am wondering how much he's going to screw me on that too.... Any thoughts would be great.
First rule of trade-ins: NEVER negotiate both at once! As soon as the dealer says, "With your trade I can go _____" you know you're screwed on the trade-in.

Negotiate the purchase price first, and make sure the trade isn't discussed. THEN negotiate the trade-in separately. Only do the math after you know BOTH prices to find out what you're really paying. And if the numbers still don't look right to you then, walk away. There's always another dealer, somewhere.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
A couple of week ago Dick Arbogast RV told my wife and I they could us into a 2014 27' front bed for $ 55,000. They are just north of Dayton on I-75.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Dang, that's a good price!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Julie5, consider a vintage Airstream. My 66 Trade Wind is 24 feet and 4100 lbs. I prefer the dual axles to keep the sway down and support incase of one flat tire. These old Airstreams were designed for smaller tow vehicles (bicycles?)

Some of these old vintage Airstreams have been renewed with all the modern conveniences like waste water tanks, microwave, TV, etc. Look for one that has had it's frame, axles, and floor all renewed and made solid. They are expensive considering what "projects" sell for, but cheaper than new. And they may not depreciate as fast as a new one.

You might be able to get more room, less weight, and have something unique too.

David
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Money, money, money

Dealers - some are excellent, but the rest? Actually it's their hiring practices more than anything else. Colonial seems to be one of the few that realize that people will buy 2-5 Airstreams in their lifetime, so that getting and keeping a good reputation is more profitable than ripping off a few customers and creating a repellant for the wary. Most dealerships turn over their entire sales staff once or twice a year. You enter a shark tank when you buy.... your spear gun is knowledge, and the ability to smile and say "NO". A good salesman will try to build a sense of urgency into the transaction... HIS need for the commission check is not the same as YOUR desire to buy an Airstream. If you're buying new, they are still making new ones, There is ZERO urgency. They'll make another one just like the one you want... and you'll choose the upholstery and upgrades.

I'm going to add some contrary advice. Consider keeping the 16 until your kid is 5 or 6. Lots of people DO tent camp, even with infants, so relatively speaking you've got luxury and space out the wahzoo... and a dry clean place to take a poo. Think about ADAPTING your behavior to live within the space allowed. Ask for some advice within this community, I'm sure there are other people in your position or who've gone through what you're doing.

The folks who've advise you to go to a 25 or larger... They are right, you'll be getting the itch for a bigger one, and if you can wait until your vehicle needs to be replaced... well the stars will have aligned, and you'll have saved the cost of upgrading twice. Put the money you save into a college fund for the babe! I'm a 65 year old woman and I tow a 25 - and have even considered going to a 30 footer. Towing is towing. You'll need about 2 days to get delusions of adequacy and a week to feel confident.

Your temporary solution might be to use a blue boy for excess waste capacity and Jerry cans for adding water. As for the poopie behind issues, put a "Y" on the faucet head, add a second hose, then just hang the kid out of the door and hose down his/her hiney. (joking!) More seriously, lots of people DO wash their kids in the kitchen sink - it's safer and the height is better. Just bleach the basin afterwards. A really small camper encourages you to go OUT. Kids who grow up outdoors are always happier and healthier than couch potatoes. You're 18 months away from potty trained (ok, optimistically) so a lot of the issues you're facing now are going to change and get slightly better very soon.

If you really must buy a 19, by all means do the same as you did with the 16 and buy gently used. The bargains start to pop out of the woods on Sept 1.

Paula
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wheelersburg , Ohio
Wow! Thanks so much! Such great advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Dealers - some are excellent, but the rest? Actually it's their hiring practices more than anything else. Colonial seems to be one of the few that realize that people will buy 2-5 Airstreams in their lifetime, so that getting and keeping a good reputation is more profitable than ripping off a few customers and creating a repellant for the wary. Most dealerships turn over their entire sales staff once or twice a year. You enter a shark tank when you buy.... your spear gun is knowledge, and the ability to smile and say "NO". A good salesman will try to build a sense of urgency into the transaction... HIS need for the commission check is not the same as YOUR desire to buy an Airstream. If you're buying new, they are still making new ones, There is ZERO urgency. They'll make another one just like the one you want... and you'll choose the upholstery and upgrades.

I'm going to add some contrary advice. Consider keeping the 16 until your kid is 5 or 6. Lots of people DO tent camp, even with infants, so relatively speaking you've got luxury and space out the wahzoo... and a dry clean place to take a poo. Think about ADAPTING your behavior to live within the space allowed. Ask for some advice within this community, I'm sure there are other people in your position or who've gone through what you're doing.

The folks who've advise you to go to a 25 or larger... They are right, you'll be getting the itch for a bigger one, and if you can wait until your vehicle needs to be replaced... well the stars will have aligned, and you'll have saved the cost of upgrading twice. Put the money you save into a college fund for the babe! I'm a 65 year old woman and I tow a 25 - and have even considered going to a 30 footer. Towing is towing. You'll need about 2 days to get delusions of adequacy and a week to feel confident.

Your temporary solution might be to use a blue boy for excess waste capacity and Jerry cans for adding water. As for the poopie behind issues, put a "Y" on the faucet head, add a second hose, then just hang the kid out of the door and hose down his/her hiney. (joking!) More seriously, lots of people DO wash their kids in the kitchen sink - it's safer and the height is better. Just bleach the basin afterwards. A really small camper encourages you to go OUT. Kids who grow up outdoors are always happier and healthier than couch potatoes. You're 18 months away from potty trained (ok, optimistically) so a lot of the issues you're facing now are going to change and get slightly better very soon.

If you really must buy a 19, by all means do the same as you did with the 16 and buy gently used. The bargains start to pop out of the woods on Sept 1.

Paula
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Skip the 19 and save your depreciation and trading multiple times $$.
Go at least a 20 ... but prefer the 25 ...with the 23, you have to have the commode too high for a child on top of the black tank.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
mesa , Arizona
We just bought a 1999 25c Safari for $17,500. Put another 2k into and upgraded a few things to make it our own and update the look. My wife and I have three kids 6 and under. I can tell you even the two year old wanted nothing to do in the trailer during the day. They went inside to get a drink, poop and sleep. At night , except my 6 year old, we all slept together. If you plan on having more kids go with a 25 footer or bigger. If it's just the three of you I see how we could have got by with a 16" until the little tike gets too big. I would be hard pressed to ever go bigger, more for the negative comfort level of pulling a larger trailer up and down mountains. I dread potentially having to trade up once the kids are bigger. I do like the idea of kicking the kids to the tent once their older so maybe the 25" is the last one I will ever buy. **wife is shaking her head! yea right**Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407471248.464348.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	218570