Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Dassel , Minnesota
Old vs newer

I am absolutely amazed at difference in the quality of construction from 1970 cavanner to a 1978 sovereign! Everything is so cheapened up. I just can't believe it was to just lighted it up.
We sold our caravanner before fixing the floor Ect to buy a larger a/s so the grand kid could camp with us. Thought buying a newer model would also get some fixes to common problems. Not so! Probably worse! Now I have a sovereign 31' that is, yes with room for the grand kids, but still needing the same repaires, just more of them.
Is the steel in the frame of of lesser gauge in a 78 v/s a 70 ? Sure looks like it.
Now I start visiting the Sovereign forum.
Still loving the Airstream!
5ndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My 81 had the 70's plastic interior but the frame is better than the 70's trailers. It has full box beams as opposed to the c-channel. I am not sure when they went to the box beam but some of the late 70's trailers have it. The problem with all of them is leaks mainly at the back bumper.The bumper plate (water funnel) goes under the rear of the trailer and leaks water under the floor. The water stays there because the fiberglass isulation gets soaked and rots the floor and frame. Nothing is going to be able to deal with constant water exposure and now combine that with aluminum and steel in close contact. It is more of a design issue than a materials issue.

You got to remember that most SOB trailers leak like a sieve. They will rot to the ground if not sealed yearly and then they might still rot. Time kills everything. You might get 10 yrs out of an SOB and my 30+ year old trailer was just now needing some TLC. You can figure anything from the 70's and older will be a MAJOR project.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Dassel , Minnesota
SOB?
Knew it was a major project going in. Just stating what I see as a move to cheaper materials. Sorry I sold the Caravanner though but it needed frame off before we could use it anymore. The Sovereign I think will only require a few areas off floor repair (and fresh water tank). I was so surprised all of the appliances work good! The axels are shot of course have to get rid of the old vac brakes any how.
Still love the look of the vintage airstream! I'll get her useable and fix her up as the down time becomes available. Unfourtionatly we are in Minnesota and the down time comes with cold and snow.
Al
5ndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
SOB = Some Other Brand.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote