Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Slowmover's metric is right on. While there are certainly political and social reasons to use less petroleum, isn't our desire to spend less $$$ to get somewhere else the relevant point?

I haven't run the numbers on trucks because I wouldn't want one no matter what, but diesel SUVs, even with their higher mpg ratings, don't seem to have better cents-per-mile capability than their gas engined siblings. Diesel fuel being 20% more expensive than gasoline mostly negates their efficiency advantage. When you combine that with higher maintenance costs and higher purchase price I don't get the attraction.

I was very interested in a diesel jeep GC but just couldn't make the cents-per-mile work out better than the gas engine model. I'm glad I bought the V6 every time I see the gas station sign with regular at $3.30, diesel at $4.00.

Denny Wolfe
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Diesel is more expensive but packs more power and generally produces less CO2. Now re-read my post. There are differing ratings for Bang for Buck or cents per mile based on type and grade of fuel. For me my alternative to my E-250 Bluetec car, which cost less by the way than the gas models, is an E-350 which requires PREMIUM gas, costing about the same per gallon as Diesel. Its a no-brainer. Diesel engines generally last longer and require less maintenance in the long run.

Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #31
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The gasser version of DODGE diesel trucks generally has less power, and is expected to last (given controlled wear rates) about 60% of the life of the diesel (on a FORD or GM diesel engine life is at parity with the gasser).

Then there is difference between drivers in comparing similar rigs. Among professional drivers the gap is 30% in FE. With amateurs, even more.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote