Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

1969 18' Caravel
Athens , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Miss Ann
Question Not Sure What To Do!!!

Hello Everyone.... Although my user name is Miss Ann - Please just call me Ann, lol. I am new at this, as of today, lol, so please bare with me as I thumble through and figure out your site. It looks like a great one in many ways.

I do have a question and hoping someone can help me.
My Father passed away this past August and left an Airstream trailer with the rest of his estate to my brother's and me. We had an appraiser come and give us appraisals on some other things and in doing so he also appraised our trailer. He said the trailer was a 60's 14 foot caravel and if we replaced the windows (another story), and put new tires on it, he felt it was worth 2500.00. I found a receipt in the trailer where my Father bought this trailer and on the hand written sales receipt it says it is a 1969 caravel travel trailer. Caravel is also on the side next to the door. Vin # on this I believe (according to the paper) is O18D9J228. I really want to keep this but not sure what I should pay my brothers. They said since windows and tires needed replacing I could have it for 1500.00. I have no idea how much it would cost to replace the windows as old as it is!!!! I would greatly appreciate any feed back on this as I need to make a decision soon. Thanks so much and feel free to email me at a19marie56@aol.com

Thanks a million
Ann
Miss Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Ann,

First, my condolences on the loss of your father, and I wish you the best as you get his estate settled. I hope you are left with many wonderful memories of him!

Check out RJ Dial's page on '69 Caravels here. The VIN you posted is very similar to the ones listed at the top of the screen. Do you have any pictures of the Caravel that you could share? I'm sure folks would be able to check those out and chime in on any issues that might affect the value, as well.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
The cost of windows,tires and most likely an axel would surely exceed $ 2500
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Yes, window replacement is more labor intensive than it may appear, and more costly if done by professionals. Be sure your brothers understand this is a lot more than a one weekend repair job you'd be facing! Assuming you could even find someone in your area to take it on.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
69 Caravel

Ann,
It all sounds good to me. On the 69 its the corner front windows that are expensive to replace. All the others are plain old safety glass. Use glass, not Lexan, when available. Open the rear access door and look at the floor in that compartment. Most likely it will need some help. Look et the interior wood around the kitchen exhaust fan. The vent leaks and usually causes some delamination. No big deal either. The floor immediately inside the entrance may need some attention too. Its a 69 and the axel is not critical, as in earlier Caravels. May give a rough ride but you can live with it till you can afford, or want, a new one. Its a transition body style...wide...You will love it. (Been there, done that....so to speak)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craigs Airstream 001.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	63402  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Sounds like maybe your brothers could gift it to you, especially due to the costly repairs needed. After all, you're family. Your father would probably be thrilled that you want to keep the Caravel.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Ann Welcome Sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I'd personally kept the Caravel just cause it was your fathers for one thing. If your brother don't want to be bothered give him a K$ cash and take title. That is if you are intrested in keepin it and camping yourself. Im sure if u keep Looking here U will find a price that would be close
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Ann, sure sorry about your Dad, he must have been a man of distinction. About those windows, the appraiser said they needed replacing? What needs to be replaced? The glass or are the frames damaged? Do you have any pictures? The 1969 models are fantastic Airstreams, I know I'm biased as we have a 1969 Overlander. Ours was vandalized a few years ago and when they couldn't open the door with a crowbar, they went for the window and opened it by twisting open the aluminum frame on the window. It was much less costly to repair than replace the whole thing. If your brothers might make a trade of it for something else there. Wish you the best, Ewemama
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Ann, sorry to hear of your loss. Our 69 was in OK shape, we had to replace floor in front and back. The middle will come another day. New hotwater tank, new toilet, new black tank, (there is no gray tank in 69), pull out all green carpet put in vinyl flooring, we have a front corner window that needs replaced, someone put in Lexan and did a lousy job, that is another story. I have painted inside, sanded wood and clear coated, made curtains, new tires, tinted windows, all new pex plumbing, more and more. She is probably better than when she was new. We truly love every thing we have done to give her new life.

I hope you can made a deal with your brothers.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Ann,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. It is never easy, but will grow softer over time.

Regarding the Airstream. Keep it! Give them the 1500, you'll be glad you did. If after a year of ownership you haven't used it or fixed it in some small way then consider selling it to an appreciative buyer. Many on the forums would be interested. Just give yourself time. One, because it was your fathers and two, because it (they - Airstreams) can be wonderful for some. Time will tell.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Ann...Keep your Dad's Airstream. That is a great Airstream. I agree with AirstreamGypsy. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ann,

We all share your heartache, you have lost an important part of your Life,

but also have the opportunity to keep an important part of your Dad's.

Thats a wonderful little Airstream and I'm sure it will help with the healing.

I too have inherited something, I hope this brings a smile.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/onalee-38708.html

God Bless
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #13

1969 18' Caravel
Athens , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Miss Ann
Thumbs up

Hey Everyone, I'm so sorry I haven't thanked everyone yet for your responses and emails. They have all been really great and so very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have decided to keep the caravel. I just haven't discussed money yet with my brothers but I think we can work something out. I took a few pictures the other day and will post as soon as I can. (computer issues, lol) As much as I wanted to keep it, I was having doubts as to what it was going to cost me to get it back into shape, how hard it was going to be and where I was going to go for the information and know how to get it done. You have all been so helpful already and this web site has so much info that I believe anything I need to know I will be able to find here, and hopefully make some new friends at that. I am really excited about the possibilities that lay ahead. I know it's not going to be easy or an over night job, but hey, it's going to be well worth it! I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more of me! Thanks again.

Ann
Miss Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome, Ann. As a woman who has done her share of work on a 78 Argosy and a 76 Sovereign, I will tell you that it won't be easy; however, it will be a fun and frustrating ride to the joy of camping in your father's Airstream. He will be there with you every step of the way. If he was anything like my father, he would be proud of all you do for his trailer. There will be things that you think you can't possibly do by yourself, but ask for help if you have a strong friend. Some times you just have to give up and have a cup of coffee and go back and try again. If the running gear is good, take the trailer out for an overnight trip near home and enjoy it. Everything doesn't have to work to sleep in an Airstream. Get the ice chest and a mattress on the floor and go for it. If Alabama wasn't so far away I'd come help you.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Ann, I'm excited you made that decision! Best of luck to you in this new adventure. Dad would be proud.