Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Non-titled vintage trailers on Ebay

Hello.

Quite a few vintage trailers get bid on and sold on Ebay without clear titles.

Are there different regulations around the country in terms of titling a vehicle so you can tow it on public roads?

I live in Colorado and you can't get a registration or plates until you have title. Maybe people are using these as yard art? Or maybe rules vary around the country.

Any thoughts?
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
You can get a bonded title in Colorado on trailers as well as homebuilt cars.

Too, you can get the CHP to come to your house and for $25 they'll give you a VIN verification document that you'll need to start the process.

This car has a Colorado bonded title.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	206742  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
Hello.

Quite a few vintage trailers get bid on and sold on Ebay without clear titles.

Are there different regulations around the country in terms of titling a vehicle so you can tow it on public roads?

I live in Colorado and you can't get a registration or plates until you have title. Maybe people are using these as yard art? Or maybe rules vary around the country.

Any thoughts?
Laws vary from state to state, some are easier to deal with than others. Some require titles, some will go with a bill of sale, some don't even require a license for a trailer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Laws vary from state to state, some are easier to deal with than others. Some require titles, some will go with a bill of sale, some don't even require a license for a trailer.

Aaron
So someone can purchase a trailer with a bill of sale and travel around on public roads?

Cool.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
So someone can purchase a trailer with a bill of sale and travel around on public roads?

Cool.
Not in Colorado! There are 50 different laws regarding vehicle registration laws and Colorado is much easier to deal with than, say, California.

Quite frankly, you should call the DMV.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

Cool.
Depends on the state. And it may or may not fly when you cross state lines.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The seller needs to do his job and provide you with a title. As the 'owner' they should have a title, if not you don't even know if it's stolen or anything about it's past. Most states have some method for providing a duplicate title or title recover. I know most sellers are too lazy to do this.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Don't try this at home!

Speaking from my experience in ND, don't try this at home. We went through all kinds of hassles and it just isn't worth it. ND is really tough to work with unless you are the last registered owner or have their signature. I get that some people are crooks but I just about gave up after four months of trying. Luckily I didn't and we finally got our title. Now my first question to a potential AS lead is "Do you have the title in your name????" If the answer is anything but yes, I walk.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We bought a very old Spartan Manor. No title as trailer was on the property when the new owners bought it. Here in Michigan all we need is a bill of sale and a certified weight.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think a lot of sellers won't get a title because they are 'flipping' it and don't want to put the title/registration in their name for tax purposes (they don't want the government to know they are running a business).

I have bought two boats without titles, and both times I was able to get the DMV to issue me a title after sending certified letters to the last registered owner, which were returned unopened or not responded to. There was a risk the owner could say 'hey, that boat was stolen from em years ago', and take it back. Luckily they both worked out. But in those cases I only had a couple hundred dollars on the line. For anything more valuable, there's no way I would buy any vehicle without a valid title.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Flashback to fraud work at the credit union...

Colorado DMV's work County by County, so you might find a cooperative county or might get stuck in a bad one.. Kind of depends on their mood and workload..

Calif. and many states will issue a title if prior is missing through combination of posting a bond (forfeited AND you have to pay Bonding Co face value to cover if title-holder comes forward and claims the vehicle...), and sending letters to last address of prior title holders.. I belong to vintage motorcycle club, and same issue hits them all the time, and they get titles and registration/plates eventually...

There are "easier states" like Nevada or Georgia or South Dakota, I believe, where you could start and get new title done with inspection, mail address and perhaps some proof of insurance.. Much easier then to transfer and register in home state...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I think I looked at a couple of these adds, also noticed IIRC that they were the 1st post for the seller.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Best answer might be to check with the DMV where you are, and find out how hard it is to get a new registration. Then, reduce the price of the trailer as you see fit.

Be sure you get a bill of sale and, it would be wise to check that the unit is not stolen before you hand over the money.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
As far as I know, they won't let you title a trailer or car over a certain age in Alabama. You do have to have a registration in your name and a bill of sale. I would rather have a title. The original title was signed over to me but I can't get a new title here. If you live in a fly by night redneck state like I do, you should be able to get a title in the destination state with the registration and bill of sale. There maybe a form the seller will have to fill out as well.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
We sold our "vintage" trailer on ebay with no title. We could not get a new title here in South Georgia. We had tag registration and bill of sale. The new owner researched what would need to be done in his state, Indiana. I think it was something similar to what Perry described.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Heyfield , Victoria
Anyone know what CA laws are? I'm trying to get a title for a trailer I'm exporting to Melbourne and am going round in circles with different info all over the place!
amysemmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
I know this is an old thread, but let me tell you that it was an absolute nightmare getting a clear title in Ohio. We had to petition the court and file alot of paperwork. If anyone is having trouble with this in Ohio you can message me, and I will offer some advice.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Yes, please provide information regarding how to deal with this in Ohio. I've only got a bill of sale for my vintage Airstream and am having trouble obtaining a title.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
I am on vacation this week through the next. There's too much to write via my smartphone. I'll look through my paperwork when I get home so I can make a list.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
I talked to a judge here in ohio, he told me to take a notorized bill of sale to a lawyer, he would do a title search, then take it to the judge, the judge would have a title issued. cost about $250.00 to $300.00. It may depend on the county.
trapperman33 is offline   Reply With Quote