Old 09-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Non-Millionairestreamers

I wanted to take a few minutes and remind all the members of the forums that there exists a wide range of finical situations among the membership. Many members have had the good fortune to have large amounts discretionary funds, where others have less. Perhaps it is worth remembering this when giving advice on equipment.

Reading advice in the forums one can get the impression that towing ANY trailer with anything less than a $40+K new ¾ diesel is death waiting to happen, that using a map rather than GPS is dangerous, that using disc brakes puts everyone on the highway at risk, that only prodigy brake controllers will do, that having any hitch other than a Hensley is asking for it ect ect.

I have about $10K in my Trade Wind. Over the last 2 years I have largely rebuilt it, it is well maintained, and I take great pride in it. Furthermore, it is safe on the road. I invite anyone to demonstrate where my rig is unsafe. Would I like to have the absolute top of the line of everything? Of course I would. However, everything is functional and safe. Period. Moreover, I can think of three projects on the camper that if I went with the high dollar fix, the amount of money in my camper would be doubled. Frankly, at that price, I couldn’t own a camper. So when you are blazing out that advice on equipment, take a thoughtful moment and remember not all of us are in a position to spend an extra $2,500 on a hitch if it is not truly necessary and good information on the gear that is adequate is truly welcome and needed. Also remember, that dismissing gear because it is not the top of the line may discourage someone from buying needed equipment that would have got the job done just fine.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I wanted to take a few minutes and remind all the members of the forums that there exists a wide range of finical situations among the membership. Many members have had the good fortune to have large amounts discretionary funds, where others have less. Perhaps it is worth remembering this when giving advice on equipment.

Reading advice in the forums one can get the impression that towing ANY trailer with anything less than a $40+K new ¾ diesel is death waiting to happen, that using a map rather than GPS is dangerous, that using disc brakes puts everyone on the highway at risk, that only prodigy brake controllers will do, that having any hitch other than a Hensley is asking for it ect ect.

I have about $10K in my Trade Wind. Over the last 2 years I have largely rebuilt it, it is well maintained, and I take great pride in it. Furthermore, it is safe on the road. I invite anyone to demonstrate where my rig is unsafe. Would I like to have the absolute top of the line of everything? Of course I would. However, everything is functional and safe. Period. Moreover, I can think of three projects on the camper that if I went with the high dollar fix, the amount of money in my camper would be doubled. Frankly, at that price, I couldn’t own a camper. So when you are blazing out that advice on equipment, take a thoughtful moment and remember not all of us are in a position to spend an extra $2,500 on a hitch if it is not truly necessary and good information on the gear that is adequate is truly welcome and needed. Also remember, that dismissing gear because it is not the top of the line may discourage someone from buying needed equipment that would have got the job done just fine.
Good post, you might want to read you own tag line.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Good post, you might want to read you own tag line.
BRAVO

and the
My Blog

Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is a good thing to keep in mind. I suffered greatly when putting together my setup. I was told by many people that the trailer would be out of control and I HAD to have a Hensley, that it was the only way to BE SURE the trailer would not suddenly leap out of control, sway all over, and drag me and my loved ones to their certain deaths. My husband was very nervous about driving it after all we read. I was also recommended to get a diesel. All this for a Caravel! And now I realize how silly it can be to listen to everyone's opinions. Now I suppose I could still be proven wrong someday, but after four years of towing, the last two on the ball with just a friction sway control, I'm pretty happy with the performance of my rig. I have never felt the trailer do ANYTHING back there but follow us.

My van, BTW, is a 95, and I'm always offended when people refer to it as old - after all, it's the newest thing I own! It was almost ten years old when we got it and I traded my beloved mustang for it - which was a lucky break.

I also have about $12k in my trailer, but it could be double that if I hadn't done the floor replacement myself, and had friends help with the appliance replacements.

You don't have to be a millionaire to be an airstreamer, but it helps!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I like to know what is suggested/available, even if I cannot afford it; maybe someday, I'll win the lottery

For instance, I had a Voyager brake controller; mortgaged the house and got a Prodigy after reading advice on this forum. But then again I am NOT getting a diesel.....or a pickup of any sort

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
interesting that the first response was a 'gotcha'

so many of these topics suffer a severe lack of effective and rational risk assessment - and they can't be discussed because of the risk that the thread will go into personal attacks and worse.

bigotry and intolerance come in many flavors.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I took Jim's response to be of a humorous vein. I think you do make a reasonable point though that sometimes people dont post for fear of the responses, which is to bad really.

In any case, the idea behind this thread is that workable solutions tend to get dismissed here in favor of the most expensive options.

and the
My Blog

Old 09-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think there are folks of the opinion that things are always better if done by professionals, where I am of the opinion that my work can equal or better that of professionals because I REALLY care about the outcome. I have paid good money for shoddy work often enough to know the most expensive solution isn't always the best one.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Rodney,
Great post. I don't think everyone who touts a specific brand thinks that is the only way to go...it just works for them. We all have different depths to our pockets. We had a thread yesterday...needed help finding struts to hold up his bed he had just placed hinges on. I sent photos of my factory job, included the strut mfg name and strut nomenclature. Greg, from nearby in MS turned up with a new pair he had just removed from his rig. The price...only the shipping. THAT is what this forum is all about.
Thanks for your post. It will be a reality check reminder for all.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
"Greg, from nearby in MS turned up with a new pair he had just removed from his rig. The price...only the shipping. THAT is what this forum is all about."

isn't life nice when we all play together?

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
For those non-millionaires, Tekonsha makes a brake controller that is about half the price of a Prodigy, called a Sentinel. I have used it for many years with zero problems.
The Reese dual-cam WD/sway control is about 1/3 the cost of a Hensley.
EAZ-Lift makes a WD system for about 1/3 the cost of a Dual Cam.
There are other tire manufacturers besides Goodyear, you will need to check their dealer network in case of warranty issues.
There is a low price version of a Fantastic Fan, called an Endless Breeze, it costs roughly half of a full-blown Fantastic, and is upgradeable when time and finances allow.
LED-R-Us sells LED clearance light assemblies that are roughly the cost of standard incandescent clearance lights, look identical, have lower amp draw and last virtually forever.
You don't HAVE to have 30# Worthington aluminum LP tanks, steel ones will hold LP just fine, for about 25% of the cost.
Oh, and I DON'T have a Diseasel tow vehicle.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Thumbs up

Thanks for saying what needed to be said.

I was just talking about a $10 innovative idea, and the first responder said "just" use a $173 top-of-the-line other widget and left in a huff. Luckily other posters came into the thread with some useful ideas, but it was a buzz-kill at best. Nobody needs to have it explained to them that the highest-priced way will work best; that is usually not the question.
Regards,
-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
interesting that the first response was a 'gotcha'

so many of these topics suffer a severe lack of effective and rational risk assessment - and they can't be discussed because of the risk that the thread will go into personal attacks and worse.

bigotry and intolerance come in many flavors.
I guess you are talking about my reply. It wasn't so much of I gotcha as I agree with you, but your tag line dose not and it is funny as we all do those type of things. Gen Disarry took in the manner it was intended. To jump to bigotry and intolerance is a big jump, and I haven't seen many personal attacks. I live in New Orleans I know about real bigotry and intolerance and all the flavors.

I am about saving money and good value. My first Airstream was just for that reason. I currently have a newer unit with some of the higher end tow options but only because Katrina totaled my Sailboat and I was paid out for the boat. I still pinch a penny and like to hear how other do so. I tow with an F-150 and would have hard time justifying a F-250 Diesel. Enjoy your trailers, I have never looked at someone’s trailer hitch to decide if I wanted to be associated with them or not, so you must know I really don’t care about which brake controller you use as long as it stops the trailer.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Good Thread

Good idea, Rodney. I really like my ’83 34’ Excella, but I do admit that it would be nice to have a brand new one and a brand new ¾ ton TV. I don’t see that happening in this lifetime, though. If I did win the lottery, I would be happy and so would Gene at Airstream of Arkansas. Keep a good thought for me, Gene.