Old 10-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i must confess, i had never stayed at a KOA till the Balloon Fiesta Rally. will i go to heaven?

kevin

Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i must confess, i had never stayed at a KOA till the Balloon Fiesta Rally. will i go to heaven?

kevin
Because you finally have, or because up till now you hadn't???? That's the all important question to me - I need to know this BEFORE I stay at a KOA

I'll be watching for the response. I do so wanna go see my departed friends , family , and pets and thus am anxious to know which way your answer goes.

Barry

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up Tripple Decker Yugo! Yoohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
--

"ok that's the only humor in this post, " Wrong!

"---- i only buy yugos, and i'm getting the new 78 foot triple decker model.." I WAN'T ONE A THEM!.

"and it must cost between 81 and 83 gourds..."
Unfortunately I'm outa my gourds.

"good grief." 2air'
Hi Double error, Hi Rod

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #74
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen
Hi Double error, Hi Rod
Howdy

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
After this past Show America your Airstream weekend, and still seeing very few relative to all the SOB's on the road, it occurs to me that perhaps anyone who owns an Airstream is in fact one-in-a-million with all of the SOB's out on the road and in the campgrounds. It is amazing how many of "them" are really being sold every year. Go past any RV lot and there are stacks of them for sale, and sell they do.

It is an interesting thought that in a discussion with one of my cul de sac neighbors who has a 1998 trailer with all the ring dang do options and as he's winterizing it yesterday he comments to me that I must be getting ready to head south for the winter. To my query why he would think that since we've never done that before, but have talked between ourselves of this becoming a reality - and wondering to myself if he has one of those parabolic antenna's aimed at our house - he says "well, anyone who can afford an Airstream usually heads south as soon as the first frost hits and don't come home until the flowers are in bloom".

Right! And me with a trailer that is 47 years older than his at that. I laughed and when I told him the age of my trailer he was hugely surprised. He does know they still make them and knows what the new ones cost so was thinking we'd bought it new six years ago. This is the one guy who obviously did not make it out to the shop out back of my property while I spent 5 months of nights and weekends making it something we'd not be embarrassed to tow.

So we chatted for a bit about his perception of Airstreamers in general and his take is that they tend to camp together, party together, travel together, and are a group unto themselves in campgrounds. Thus they portray an aura of being either uppity or clannish (not sure of the right word here - he used another "C" word I can't remember). He said the big MoHo owners are a notch more off'ish than that and don't associate with anyone unless they are comparing flat screen TV sizes in their "basements" - to which I could almost have agreed. He figures to own an Airstream your net worth has to be equal to the rest of the campgrounds and wondered why folks with that kind of money to toss around would even bother camping. Boy, have I got a lot of coaching to do with that boy. Anyway, an interesting perspective from a fellow who spends a ton of time in campgrounds in BC, WA, OR and ID every spring, summer and fall.

I just thought I'd pass that along. It was an interesting conversation with a fellow I don't know really well, but I suspect I could convert (pervert?) him to becoming an Airstream enthusiast since I've already got one of the other neighbors involved with my former Silver Streak.

Egad, we could have a rally and never leave the cul de sac

Barry
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Your cul de sac could become the new Northwest corner of the Four Corners Unit!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Great story, Barry...It's odd what they think of us, huh? But I'm glad you are educating the guy, and maybe even converting him eventually! Truth is, we are special...we like the design, we like the glint of aluminum, we like the aura of an Airstream, we like the sense of Americana...and we like the folks who like them.

Our experience is that when people wonder by our campsite in a park and hesitate and point, we sense a feeling of wonderment...and if we happen to be outside where they can see us, or if we should step out while they are still transfixed, they are usually compelled to say something like...."What a wonderful trailer!"...or "It's so shiny!"...or "I didn't know they still made those!"...or "Can we see inside?" It's then that we know that not only are they a little amazed, but they are very curious and just a bit envious...and they may themselves reach a point when they must have an Airstream of their very own...

Spreading the word,
TB
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Watching...

dear million air people,

what wrist watch does one wear whilst dragging a 'dream stream?

it that something we have to be wringing our mits about about as well?

and on another more serious subject... shorts and tee's? what's up with that? shouldn't there be a dress code?

and shaving? shouldn't folks shave? my wife looks funny w/ a three day beard...

curious in simi valley,

'bo
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #79
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
You are right TB. That just happen to me the other day when I was in Desert Hot Springs. As I was pulling into the RV site a person walking their dog made the comment "what a beautiful trailer" !.

What more can I say?.....

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #80
_

. , .
hi dennis ol' buddy...

congrats on the 100th post milestone.

your 78 foot triple decker has been ordered.

please send me a deposit.

also i need more wine, so when can we connect?

max says woof!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow, folks... Pretty interesting. You know, I came here to get answers because I wanted to get an Airstream to pull along as my wife and I traveled across the US. Staying in hotels is - and has been - such a drag. We're still in a hotel, about to head of to an expo in NYC, then to see clients in Southern Fla. From there, we head to Nashville and then back to Phoenix AZ.

We decided against buying an Airstream because we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban (K1500 - 350 engine). That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it. Like many others, we were told a 3/4 ton or larger was our only choice, and it should be a diesel not gas engine.

This is worrisome when you really haven't any idea what would be best, or what others have successfully experienced.

I suppose my question is still the same as when we started looking this direction.

Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever? Maybe we'll reconsider once we have information we can decide from that doesn't include buying a new 3/4 ton diesel tow vehicle. After all, we just bought the beauty we're driving!

Thanks folks, and thanks especially to Gen Disarray for his timely message in behalf of those out there who aren't upper crust.... we're just a bit crusty, but that's another story isn't it!

Jerry Wills
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #82
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpeditionsTV
That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it.

Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever?

Jerry Wills
Jerry,

Although I'm not currently an Airstream owner, I've had a half-dozen of them in the past twenty years. This is actually the first time I haven't had an Airstream in the driveway since 1987.

There are few blacks or whites in a world that is all shades of gray. Whether or not you can successfully tow a 31' trailer with your Sub depends on how it's equipped, what it's tow rating is, and what it's GCVWR is (gross combined vehicle weight rating). Those numbers should be in your owner's manual. Then, there's the matter of which 30'-32' trailer you're looking to tow. The dry curb weights on a single length of trailer can range over a couple thousand pounds difference depending on model year.

Attached is a .pdf file from Airstream of the various trailer weights over the years. It should be educational.

There are things you can do with your Sub to make it more stout for towing, (better shocks, transmission shift kit and cooler, etc.) that will extend the longevity of your Sub and are desireable.

The larger issue for you is your height and bed length. I'm 6'5" tall and there are very few Airstreams that will accomodate an 80" queen. I'd search for one of those in whatever size you can find it (as they're tough to come by), and then worry about what to tow it with.

Good luck!

Roger
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airstream weights-1.pdf (100.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #83
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
So we chatted for a bit about his perception of Airstreamers in general and his take is that they tend to camp together, party together, travel together, and are a group unto themselves in campgrounds. Thus they portray an aura of being either uppity or clannish (not sure of the right word here - he used another "C" word I can't remember). He said the big MoHo owners are a notch more off'ish than that and don't associate with anyone unless they are comparing flat screen TV sizes in their "basements" - to which I could almost have agreed. He figures to own an Airstream your net worth has to be equal to the rest of the campgrounds and wondered why folks with that kind of money to toss around would even bother camping. Boy, have I got a lot of coaching to do with that boy. Anyway, an interesting perspective from a fellow who spends a ton of time in campgrounds in BC, WA, OR and ID every spring, summer and fall.

Barry
Barry, that's not uncommon at all. I'd venture to say that's the perception of the majority of folks who don't own Airstreams... and frankly many I've talked to over the years have said they wouldn't buy one because people who owned them are too snobby... always followed by... "but you're not that way at all!"

Then... you find out that you're the ONLY Airstream owner they've ever talked to... <sigh> and they have no personal experience upon which to base their opinion...

Nonetheless it is an interesting phenomenon.

Roger
Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #84
_

. , .
Quote:
... I came here to get answers
...we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban
... we were told a 3/4 ton or larger was our only choice, and it should be a diesel not gas engine
....Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever...Jerry Wills
well you need to go back and READ your threads again.

because several of us suggested YOU COULD tow a 31 IF it was a 70s unit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ded-36509.html

at which point you up'd the ante...

Quote:
...We were thinking a 34' would suit our space needs better...Jerry
so the game changed.

there are hundreds of useful threads here on towing issues and matching tow vehicle to trailer.

many of those threads DO include...

-how to make a 1500 work,

-what the limitations may be...

-the differences between a 'rare weekend tow to the lake' and 'mountain travel'

-while others report how moving from 1/2 to 3/4 feels...

-there are folks who have towed 100s of thousands of miles with 1/2 ton subs, and long a/s from the 70s and early 80s....

again it is the person ASKING the question who needs to gather the info and there is LOTS already posted.

don't expect folks who crafted a complete, perfect, detailed answer 6 months or a year or 2 years ago to retype it...

go find it, (or we could whine about the search feature too)

i'd suggest 100s have asked the '1500' question already, so read!

of course we all could just tell ya want ya wanna here..."sure go ahead, it will be fine"

the truth isn't that simple, and i'd rather see folks promoting safety, over duct tape and spittle...

cheers
2air'

so again and CLEARLY...

go check out 70s units or early (narrow body) 34s...

sort out brake upgrades (trailer or tv) and gear carrying issues.

consider how much you will travel and what limitations are acceptable...

gather all the towing parameters for your tv and get trailer weights.

since your budget is UNDER 10K that narrows the choices too...

and IF you settle on a near new 34 that weights >10.000 lbs, listed on ebay for 1.99c...

look for an old diesel truck, the original poster recently found one for <5k...

PERFECT for towing almost any larger older a/s....

those posting help have NO CONTROL over whether those reading, read well...

or "think" someone suggested they need to spend more money....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote