Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow, folks... Pretty interesting. You know, I came here to get answers because I wanted to get an Airstream to pull along as my wife and I traveled across the US. Staying in hotels is - and has been - such a drag. We're still in a hotel, about to head of to an expo in NYC, then to see clients in Southern Fla. From there, we head to Nashville and then back to Phoenix AZ.

We decided against buying an Airstream because we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban (K1500 - 350 engine). That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it. Like many others, we were told a 3/4 ton or larger was our only choice, and it should be a diesel not gas engine.

This is worrisome when you really haven't any idea what would be best, or what others have successfully experienced.

I suppose my question is still the same as when we started looking this direction.

Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever? Maybe we'll reconsider once we have information we can decide from that doesn't include buying a new 3/4 ton diesel tow vehicle. After all, we just bought the beauty we're driving!

Thanks folks, and thanks especially to Gen Disarray for his timely message in behalf of those out there who aren't upper crust.... we're just a bit crusty, but that's another story isn't it!

Jerry Wills
XpeditionsTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #82
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpeditionsTV
That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it.

Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever?

Jerry Wills
Jerry,

Although I'm not currently an Airstream owner, I've had a half-dozen of them in the past twenty years. This is actually the first time I haven't had an Airstream in the driveway since 1987.

There are few blacks or whites in a world that is all shades of gray. Whether or not you can successfully tow a 31' trailer with your Sub depends on how it's equipped, what it's tow rating is, and what it's GCVWR is (gross combined vehicle weight rating). Those numbers should be in your owner's manual. Then, there's the matter of which 30'-32' trailer you're looking to tow. The dry curb weights on a single length of trailer can range over a couple thousand pounds difference depending on model year.

Attached is a .pdf file from Airstream of the various trailer weights over the years. It should be educational.

There are things you can do with your Sub to make it more stout for towing, (better shocks, transmission shift kit and cooler, etc.) that will extend the longevity of your Sub and are desireable.

The larger issue for you is your height and bed length. I'm 6'5" tall and there are very few Airstreams that will accomodate an 80" queen. I'd search for one of those in whatever size you can find it (as they're tough to come by), and then worry about what to tow it with.

Good luck!

Roger
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airstream weights-1.pdf (100.7 KB, 71 views)
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #83
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
So we chatted for a bit about his perception of Airstreamers in general and his take is that they tend to camp together, party together, travel together, and are a group unto themselves in campgrounds. Thus they portray an aura of being either uppity or clannish (not sure of the right word here - he used another "C" word I can't remember). He said the big MoHo owners are a notch more off'ish than that and don't associate with anyone unless they are comparing flat screen TV sizes in their "basements" - to which I could almost have agreed. He figures to own an Airstream your net worth has to be equal to the rest of the campgrounds and wondered why folks with that kind of money to toss around would even bother camping. Boy, have I got a lot of coaching to do with that boy. Anyway, an interesting perspective from a fellow who spends a ton of time in campgrounds in BC, WA, OR and ID every spring, summer and fall.

Barry
Barry, that's not uncommon at all. I'd venture to say that's the perception of the majority of folks who don't own Airstreams... and frankly many I've talked to over the years have said they wouldn't buy one because people who owned them are too snobby... always followed by... "but you're not that way at all!"

Then... you find out that you're the ONLY Airstream owner they've ever talked to... <sigh> and they have no personal experience upon which to base their opinion...

Nonetheless it is an interesting phenomenon.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #84
_

. , .
Quote:
... I came here to get answers
...we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban
... we were told a 3/4 ton or larger was our only choice, and it should be a diesel not gas engine
....Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever...Jerry Wills
well you need to go back and READ your threads again.

because several of us suggested YOU COULD tow a 31 IF it was a 70s unit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ded-36509.html

at which point you up'd the ante...

Quote:
...We were thinking a 34' would suit our space needs better...Jerry
so the game changed.

there are hundreds of useful threads here on towing issues and matching tow vehicle to trailer.

many of those threads DO include...

-how to make a 1500 work,

-what the limitations may be...

-the differences between a 'rare weekend tow to the lake' and 'mountain travel'

-while others report how moving from 1/2 to 3/4 feels...

-there are folks who have towed 100s of thousands of miles with 1/2 ton subs, and long a/s from the 70s and early 80s....

again it is the person ASKING the question who needs to gather the info and there is LOTS already posted.

don't expect folks who crafted a complete, perfect, detailed answer 6 months or a year or 2 years ago to retype it...

go find it, (or we could whine about the search feature too)

i'd suggest 100s have asked the '1500' question already, so read!

of course we all could just tell ya want ya wanna here..."sure go ahead, it will be fine"

the truth isn't that simple, and i'd rather see folks promoting safety, over duct tape and spittle...

cheers
2air'

so again and CLEARLY...

go check out 70s units or early (narrow body) 34s...

sort out brake upgrades (trailer or tv) and gear carrying issues.

consider how much you will travel and what limitations are acceptable...

gather all the towing parameters for your tv and get trailer weights.

since your budget is UNDER 10K that narrows the choices too...

and IF you settle on a near new 34 that weights >10.000 lbs, listed on ebay for 1.99c...

look for an old diesel truck, the original poster recently found one for <5k...

PERFECT for towing almost any larger older a/s....

those posting help have NO CONTROL over whether those reading, read well...

or "think" someone suggested they need to spend more money....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #85
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Slumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
dear million air people,

what wrist watch does one wear whilst dragging a 'dream stream?

it that something we have to be wringing our mits about about as well?

and on another more serious subject... shorts and tee's? what's up with that? shouldn't there be a dress code?

and shaving? shouldn't folks shave? my wife looks funny w/ a three day beard...

'bo
Timex
Shorts and tees jeans and a turtle neck no name brands.
I do shave my legs when needed. Guys how about you?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #86
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

We decided against buying an Airstream because we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban (K1500 - 350 engine). That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it. Like many others, we were told a 3/4 ton or larger was our only choice, and it should be a diesel not gas engine.

Can we tow a 31 footer with our vehicle without blowing up or burning out the engine, transmission or whatever? Maybe we'll reconsider once we have information we can decide from that doesn't include buying a new 3/4 ton diesel tow vehicle. After all, we just bought the beauty we're driving!

Jerry Wills
I towed a 31 foot Classic with a F-250 3/4 ton and a 5.4L gas engine. It was not fun. Had I had the V10 gas it may have been easier. When I had to replace my truck I went diesel. Much nicer, more comfortable.
25 ft is the cut over for 1/2 to 3/4 ton wither you have gas or diesel would depend on how much you tow. If it is not often I would get a large gas engine. If you tow a lot get the diesel. It will make for a more pleasureable experience.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #87
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:

We decided against buying an Airstream because we were told we could only expect to tow a 26 footer at best with our Chevy Suburban (K1500 - 350 engine). That size is just too small for a 6' 9" guy and his wife. So, we decided to forget it.

Jerry Wills
Jerry, I remember this topic. One point that was made which was pretty much on the mark is that your height has no bearing on the length of travel trailer which would be best. Length of bed, you bet; length of camper, nope. If you think you would prefer a 34, fine, but height isn't the determining factor on that one. Were I full timing with another and not focused on camping on public lands I would probably want a long camper also.

I honestly cant tell you if a 1500 would do the job. I can tell you that with an older design F150 with less than optimal gearing I was unhappy towing a vintage 24ft camper around the rockies and great plains. Change the gear ratio and that might be different, change the TV from a 1991 to a 2007 with all the design changes and I am sure it would be.

Now, to the point of non-millionaire streaming. I opted for the ten year old plain Jane PSD 3/4 ton because it would give me the power I need and the body I wanted for mountain driving. The truck being ten years old and me shopping around put it within my reach. Normal weight distribution is more than adequate for my rig (its relatively light compared to the long rigs), I am still debating with my self over brake controllers but I haven't decided for sure which will go in the new truck. When I had new axles made for her, I went with drum over disc breaks which I have had no reason to complain about. She has low end speakers instead of Bose, she has a manual jack and jack stands for stabilizers. On the other hand, I installed Pergo rather than vinyl flooring and a tri-fuel genset: both of these are more expensive than functional basic. They best fit my needs, and I had the good fortune to be able to afford them at the time.

Sometimes the top shelf approach is the way to go, sometimes it isn't. If you have the extra $ laying around and can afford to go top shelf every time that is wonderful. On the other hand, a good many of us are in the situation where we can afford to travel in this manner but financially are forced to weigh function, price and priority. For example, I really want to redo my front gaucho in leather and the drapes in my camper could make Ray Charles wince, but those items are not this year or next as far as I can tell. Airstreaming may or may not be for you, or now may or may not be the time in your life for it. You can have an adequate and safe Airstream with out spending bazillions for sure. On the other hand, there is no avoiding that it is going to cost something. The choices are all yours, just make sure you are safe out there.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
In general the OP makes a good point, but I take issue with his example of a Hensley being only for the rich or people that can afford one. I tow my entry-level (poor man's) 30 foot long Trail Cruiser with a used (shorty) Yukon and I use the Hensley Arrow because it's the only hitch that can do this safely (in my opinion). Please be careful about making generalizations.

Gary
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
You are right TB. That just happen to me the other day when I was in Desert Hot Springs. As I was pulling into the RV site a person walking their dog made the comment "what a beautiful trailer" !.

What more can I say?.....

Safari-Rick
The last time we were out a man walking by with his kid said "nice luxury liner"
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
where is the corporate box?

i like to stay w/ my own kind...

just sayin.

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #91
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up To Each His Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
In general the OP makes a good point, but I take issue with his example of a Hensley being only for the rich or people that can afford one. I tow my entry-level (poor man's) 30 foot long Trail Cruiser with a used (shorty) Yukon and I use the Hensley Arrow because it's the only hitch that can do this safely (in my opinion). Please be careful about making generalizations.

Gary
We all must make our own desisions about what we want or need based

on the paramaters we feel are most important. As an ex-knuckle buster I'm

not in a position where I can just go out and get whatever cool new gizmo

comes along. Yes, I have spent some big bucks on items that I felt were

important, but these desisions were based on my experience, and came

from my own grey matter. Others should do the same. There's a lot of

valuable knowledge and good information here on the Forum, all of which

should be weighed carefully by each individual.

Bottom line....If it works for you, and doen't effect the safety of others,

GO FOR IT!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
We all must make our own decisions about what we want or need based

on the parameters we feel are most important. As an ex-knuckle buster I'm

not in a position where I can just go out and get whatever cool new gizmo

comes along. Yes, I have spent some big bucks on items that I felt were

important, but these decisions were based on my experience, and came

from my own grey matter. Others should do the same. There's a lot of

valuable knowledge and good information here on the Forum, all of which

should be weighed carefully by each individual.

Bottom line....If it works for you, and doesn't effect the safety of others,

GO FOR IT!!
My thoughts Exactly!

What works for me and a large number of people I know and significant number who I see in CG's it seems often would not pass muster here. Yes, having or moving up to bigger is always nicer, but it doesn't mean that the other is now unacceptable. Give folks a chance to get involved, to try what works for them in their circumstances and if they need to change up they can do so when their personal circumstances allow it, or modify their use accordingly. But if they never try how will they ever know? I'm afraid we scare too many people off with our "latest" thoughts when in reality they would be fine with a "starter" package and grow, like most of us have done, from that.

Barry
Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
It was an interesting conversation with a fellow I don't know really well, but I suspect I could convert (pervert?) him to becoming an Airstream enthusiast since I've already got one of the other neighbors involved with my former Silver Streak.
Barry
Gee Barry, was she an old girl friend that used to run through your neighborhood naked or something?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Gee Barry, was she an old girl friend that used to run through your neighborhood naked or something?
Well, this is fishing country and all, so when I say "gutted" hopefully you will get the picture. The best/worst part is that the restoration is well on it's way and it is gorgeous. I'm glad/sad when I stroll over to take a look. I had so many great ideas for the SS.

Barry
Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
My thoughts Exactly!
I'm afraid we scare too many people off with our "latest" thoughts when in reality they would be fine with a "starter" package and grow, like most of us have done, from that.

Barry
As a first-time travel trailer owner and relative newbie on the forum, I'm with Barry on this one, especially when it comes to towing set ups. If not for a lot of towing experience, and a fresh battery in my calculator, I'd have been "scared off safe" for sure.

The possible combinations of trailer models, vintage, tow vehicles, budgets and lifestyles is like nothing else! - and truly unique to Airstreaming. I'm a fan now and hope more people get in no matter their budget!

..............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #96
Rivet Master

Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Great Thread

Seems like many campers we meet on the road (as well as some in our local camping club) are all too happy to share their opinion on their camping equipment. They show pride in the choice they made and maybe they can get approval/admiration when you tell them, "great idea, thanks". Regardless, I listen, challenge or ask for detail sometimes, and come away knowing more than I did before. Yeah, I've heard some people proclaim broadly (as Rodney suggested in initial post) the only solution is Prodigy or HAH or 10-ply Michelin or disc brake or what else have I left off. I had a Voyager brake controller on my first set-up. Sold it with truck. When we replaced truck I was pretty sure, based on all the opinions expressed here and elsewhere, I would be happy with the small extra expense of Prodigy over Voyager.

This forum is so amazing! It wasn't really just Voyager vs Prodigy, and thre are so many wd hitch setups to compare. I found first-hand reports on something like six brands of brake controllers. (sorry 2Air, no links to posts to support this contention) The forum offers all the advice we can stand. Point is, we each have to sift through the advice and make our decision.

Great thread, Rodney. 2Air, are you just jealous he has so many hits in short time?

Yeah, let's have an Forums International Rally and not have it in July!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #97

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I totally agree with DreamStreamr. Rarely does anyone on these Forums post "ya gotta have this". What we are getting is truthful opinions on what products and procedures work well or do not. These Forums sure do beat reading the ads in Trailer Life. Sometimes, posts do come across as "elitist". I don't think that anyone here intends to be so. I feel that the information offered is almost always offered with the best of intentions in a spirit of wanting to share information.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #98
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
...Rarely does anyone on these Forums post "ya gotta have this"...
Oh no, moosetags, I disagree, you do "gotta have" an F-250 PSD to tow with or you're gonna melt the next time you get out on the road with your Airstream!!!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Saved moolah on wd hitch

I researched a wd hitch I'd never seen but found a great price on via Internet. Found very happy users on this forum and Escapees for the Equalizer hitch. ( Equal-i-zer®, Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info) Of course I found opinions strongly in favor of whatever anyone else was using too. Point is, I found credible and seemingly independent testimonials on these forums for this, well, sort of less common wd hitch and have been super-happy with it.

I wouldn't have had the cojones to try it (not willing to gamble hundreds of dollars on unknowns) without the great polling one can get from our forums.

Bottom line: ya do your research then make your own decision. Someone says something sux? Check it out and decide for yourself -- it's your choice to make. Great system!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #100
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
No one told me spelling counted.
Of course spelling counts, what about the Scotchman who went into the Ladies thinking it said Laddies??