Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #57

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great thread Rodney, I agree with everything you posted (although I think it's taken a couple of odd turns). When I see the "if you can afford an Airstream then..." in a thread I usually just close it out. It's right up there with the proud owner showing us their preowned pride and joy only to have the first reply, in effect, pointing out their new baby is cross eyed.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
It is great that we live in a place where We can openly express our opinion,it is however up to each individual to determine what thier comfort level is Without disregarding the saftey of yourself or that of others. I am on a fixed income,I defineatly cant afford a Hensley,but I feel safe with the equipment I have ,although not state of the art ,its safe and workable. I started 10 yrs ago and bought a straight-line Reese, 5yrs ago for the F350 and now we are about to go next week and get our AS,Used though it maybe, it will work for Us.
Please keep in mind Opinions EXPRESSED here Should be JUSTTHAT/ OPINIONS!
Thats my OPINION an Im sticken To it

Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I don't know HOW I missed this thread until now...

Many excellent points have been raised, but if you think things can get "elitist" here, try going through the musical instrument newsgroups (saxophone is especially painful). For even more fun, look at some of the photography forums and newsgroups, if you don't use the latest and greatest, you OBVIOUSLY suck...

I forgot which episode of the VAP it was, but it was pointed out that you don't HAVE to do a shell off restoration to have a great camper. I'm a firm beliver that cutting a few corners is OK, as long as safety isn't compromised. It's all about camping and fun, not about keeping up with the Joneses.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #60
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
Many excellent points have been raised, but if you think things can get "elitist" here, try going through the musical instrument newsgroups (saxophone is especially painful).
oh yeah? which one? I've only participated on one, and not all that much. I didn't think that the equipment elistist crowd (typically, "youngsters") was too overbearing. But they're there, for sure.
One thing I did notice, browsing around...alot of these "big talkers" have links to clips of themselves playing their fancy horns...most of 'em can't play for $h!t.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #61
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Talk about truck envy. Check out RV.net forums sometime. Any time the TV subject comes up the fur flies. Gas vs diesel. SUV vs 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. Always seems to be a bias for what the writer is driving.

Tom
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I just read Tin Sista's ... um, I mean Paris' post. Luvd it!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #63
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
I don't know HOW I missed this thread until now...

Many excellent points have been raised, but if you think things can get "elitist" here, try going through the musical instrument newsgroups (saxophone is especially painful). For even more fun, look at some of the photography forums and newsgroups, if you don't use the latest and greatest, you OBVIOUSLY suck...

I forgot which episode of the VAP it was, but it was pointed out that you don't HAVE to do a shell off restoration to have a great camper. I'm a firm beliver that cutting a few corners is OK, as long as safety isn't compromised. It's all about camping and fun, not about keeping up with the Joneses.
I agree it can get a lot worse on other topics than this one. When I was renovating a house I found out why people prefer to be called carpenters rather than woodworkers. There is a six figure difference in income.

Anyway, this thread has been an enjoyable reminder for all of us. But I do believe one of the original points was more about safety than just being thrifty. I have learned to take everything said on this forum with a grain of salt (hensley, 3/4 tons, etc.) and that concerns me. I would like to know when something really is dangerous so I can stand clear. Justifying every decision due to safety dulls our senses.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #64
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I wanted to take a few minutes and remind all the members....
is this reminder made as a forum member or in some official capacity?

i'll assume the former. IF it is the later shame, shame, shame...

politics, religion, sex and money are hot tops and difficult to keep civil in many discussions.

a wide spectrum of folks have issues with religion and politics...

but it seems only those not getting any complain about the last 2 issues

ok that's the only humor in this post, so stop reading NOW if you expect more funny stuff.

i've got major problems with this bogus thread and here is why...

-exactly WHICH threads or posts are the basis for the reminder?
-many are suggesting that 'you will die' posts abound but not one is linked for reference.
WHEN posts like that do rarely appear, simply DISAGREE with the post and state your rational.
-yes i'm aware of 1 vendor who posts these warnings, but after reading a few of them one can decide to consider the source.

- A GREATER CONCERN is that this same vendor tells folks via pm/email and phone converstations that...
-if the the members 'posts' his advice he won't help them with their issues or trailer any more.

now back to the money or 'cost vs benefit' reminder issue.

example 1:

-someone posts they need heat.
-one member suggests a u.l./rvia approved furnace and another member suggests a hibachi burning construction waste, placed on the kitchen table.

we ALL get to decide which is better and research the best price for either.

while i use duct tape and string and spit to fabricate some items,

i'll almost NEVER suggest that sort of fix for someone else.

besides they'd need MY spit to make it really work. (send me a sase with 100$ per spit)

so, many of the home cooked fixes are fine but may be MORE expensive long term, or unproven, or dangerous or fail, and so on..

WHERE IS THE WARNING HERE ABOUT THIS???

IF ANYONE wants very specific advice or recommendations, put the PARAMETERS in the question.

example 2:

'i need to connect A to B? what should i get?'

a full list of suggestions roll in from a piece of string (made from cat hair) to a solid gold chain...

it is again the responsibility of the question asker to consider ALL the options in between.

most of us LIKE the products/choices we make.

some are willing to help others learn by posting the mistakes they've make...

and the truth is we can learn more powerfully from our personal mistakes than our successes, if we listen.

example 3:

when folks ask what should i get to tow?

a wide range of suggestions again roll in, before the original poster declares....

"oh by the way, no domestics and it's gotta burn martian dust...
and i only buy yugos, and i'm getting the new 78 foot triple decker model...

and it must cost between 81 and 83 gourds..."

so HERE is a another friendly "reminder"...

-if you got a question post a picture, it really bugs me when 'photographers' don't include a pic...

-if there are other parameters include them (price point, color, nation of origin, vegan, or whatever)

then the answers might roll in very specifically or not.

but for goodness sakes do we REALLY need bogus reminders that can only serve to divide the members and friends here artificially.

many of us go to the time and effort to find web links, report our experiences, offer multiple options and photos of solutions...

in other words we are ALREADY taking the time and making the effort to help each other....

so do we REALLY need to temper answers with every conceivable dollar issue, to not offend others?

good grief.

besides JUST because someone purchased the most expensive version of 'gadget A' doesn't mean they are wealthy...

it's possible the kids are naked and starving and granny is going without insulin...

JUST so they can get the gold chain to connect A to B....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #65
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
is this reminder made as a forum member or in some official capacity?
i'll assume the former. IF it is the later shame, shame, shame...

cheers
2air'
It was entirely personal, feel free to assign whatever personal value you wish, I personally have not an ounce of regret regarding my post.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #66
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
... I invite anyone to demonstrate where my rig is unsafe...
has someone suggested your set up is unsafe?

so why the tempest?

i must not be seeing the 'you will die without a 3/4 ton' teapot posts...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
As one who has reported, on this forum, the benefits of a variety of pricey stuff, I certainly have never intended to imply that anyone MUST have those things. And my intent has not been to imply that my wife and I have so much disposable income. My purpose has been to give my opinion about those pricey things which seem to be worth buying if someone has the means to do so. I hate to think of how many things (not just for our Airstream) I have bought which later turned out to be not worth either a low or high price.

Now that I have that off my chest, I think Gen Disarray has raised some very valuable points and many of the responses here have shown that. The most expensive does not mean the best and the biggest and strongest does not mean the best. In this case, the best must be viewed in light of what is best for the individual Airstream owner, and that includes what is financially possible. For safety, care while towing can mean an awful lot. A Hensley hitch won't help you if you drive like an idiot.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #68
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Great thread Rodney, When I see the "if you can afford an Airstream then..." in a thread I usually just close it out. It's right up there with the proud owner showing us their preowned pride and joy only to have the first reply, in effect, pointing out their new baby is cross eyed.
I don't know what the big deal is anyway about millionaire Airstream owners... I don't think I've ever met one... frankly, I've always given handouts to any Airstream owners who needed them... I mean after all... it's just not right to talk bad about folks who can't even afford paint on their trailers... I 'm just suggesting that they must be as poor as the sharecroppers in The Grapes of Wrath... you know... can't afford paint for their shanties and all...

Roger
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Hey, now, we have paint on our trailer and 310 motor home (you can just see through it, 'tis all) AND on our 20' motorhome!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I don't know what the big deal is anyway about millionaire Airstream owners... I don't think I've ever met one... frankly, I've always given handouts to any Airstream owners who needed them... I mean after all... it's just not right to talk bad about folks who can't even afford paint on their trailers... I 'm just suggesting that they must be as poor as the sharecroppers in The Grapes of Wrath... you know... can't afford paint for their shanties and all...

Roger
What, no rolling sheet metal shed comment?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote