uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I wanted to take a few minutes and remind all the members of the forums that there exists a wide range of finical situations among the membership. Many members have had the good fortune to have large amounts discretionary funds, where others have less. Perhaps it is worth remembering this when giving advice on equipment.
OK, so should we not share if something sinfully expensive happens to work really well, and is worth saving up for? I don't see members flaunting their pocket books on these forums, ever. Quite frankly, I don't get this part of your post. One's financial situation is one's private matter. If you don't have the funds, fine, buy a less expensive option. You're appreciated just the same, at least in my book. If you have the funds, go ahead and splurge on the best you can get. It's all good, like Susan said.

Quote:
Reading advice in the forums one can get the impression that towing ANY trailer with anything less than a $40+K new ¾ diesel is death waiting to happen,
Forums are dangerous by design...a bunch of people typing away with their views of whatever the topic is, or hopefully, whatever their experience is on a certain topic. What makes me cringe is when people offer advice and/or opinions on topics that they don't have any clue about, or when they judge an item that they have never even tried. I think that that's when you have to "take it with a grain of salt", like they say.

Quote:
that using a map rather than GPS is dangerous, that using disc brakes puts everyone on the highway at risk, that only prodigy brake controllers will do, that having any hitch other than a Hensley is asking for it ect ect.
Here again, those that know, do know better thatn those that don't. A person that has towed with both braking systems ( disc and drum) and has also towed with both of the above mentioned brake controllers should be able to voice their opinion, regardless of financial demographics. But, here, too, the "take it with a grain of salt" saying applies.

Quote:
I have about $10K in my Trade Wind. Over the last 2 years I have largely rebuilt it, it is well maintained, and I take great pride in it. Furthermore, it is safe on the road. I invite anyone to demonstrate where my rig is unsafe.
Who sid your rig is unsafe? It looks to me from all your posts that you're keenly interested in safety and operating within sugested margins.

Quote:
Would I like to have the absolute top of the line of everything? Of course I would. However, everything is functional and safe. Period.
Well, this statement leaves a lot of open ends. NOT everything is functional and safe.
My descent a few years agon from Wolf Creek pass with the drum brakes on my Overlander was absolutely not safe. How is having to pull over several times to cool trailer brakes safe? Not in my book. Hence, the Overlander got disc brakes, which have not failed me, ever. Not even when I tried to push their limits. Back then I did not kow any better than electic drum brakes, but now I do. I saved my money and bought better brakes. So, should I not share this because you can't afford it?

Quote:
Moreover, I can think of three projects on the camper that if I went with the high dollar fix, the amount of money in my camper would be doubled. Frankly, at that price, I couldn’t own a camper.
That's a personal choice. Camping is fun, even if your camper isn't pimped to the max. Please don't think that camping "without" is less fun, or that you need to do as the Jones's do. I took mine out before it even was finished. It was a blast. Cold, but still a blast.

Quote:
So when you are blazing out that advice on equipment, take a thoughtful moment and remember not all of us are in a position to spend an extra $2,500 on a hitch if it is not truly necessary and good information on the gear that is adequate is truly welcome and needed. Also remember, that dismissing gear because it is not the top of the line may discourage someone from buying needed equipment that would have got the job done just fine.
I will continue to give advice when asked, and if I have solid personal experience with the item, or situation in question. If an expensive item is good, so be it. If a cheaper alternative works, then great. We should post when expensive items aren't up to snuff, just the same.
But, in my humble opinion ( and this, indeed is just an opinion), taking someone's financial criteria as a guide to posting on issues is just plain silly.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #30
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Well my dad told me that people are like really jealous if they know you have a hensley hitch and there was this place in France, named after me, that like they were all mad they didn't have nice outfits like Marie and so they chopped her head off, eeew, so like how safe is that? I told my friend Nicole about that and she was like eew how could they do that, and like I said well they were just jealous I mean like wow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_simple-life.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	46116  

Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We all make choices based on ability and how we allocate our resources be they great or small.

In the meantime. When we talk of tow vehicles, hitches or whatever. I want to know about all the options. We all have to wiegh our decisions based on our own situation.

Fortunately I am filthy rich, In spirit. And the friends I've made and the fun I've had at Forum and WBCCI Rallies have added to my wealth.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'm not 100% sure, but I would say that the initializing event for this thread may have been a post or PM that basically said that if you didn't have (whatever it was) you were not worthy of owning an Airstream.
And I know we have all seen or received at least one of those.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I just want to say something about the remark made previously toward those who may not spell very well or use the upper case "I". I don't feel that was aimed at me; however, I know some of the folks here don't actually touch type. It's not easy to use these computers if you never learned to type. I don't think my husband has determined where the "shift" keys is located. But he's a good person who lets me have my Airstreams and smiles.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #34
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
What! You mean that I am the only multimillionair here. I am stunned, I say. Stunned! Well, now that I got that off my chest, I must return to Kilzing my interior. ( staffs' night off, don't youknow ) LJH 5196
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
What! You mean that I am the only multimillionair here.
Oh? You own more than one Airstream?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
There sure is a lot of pople watching this thread now. i hope i spelled everything rite.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
There sure is a lot of pople watching this thread now. i hope i spelled everything rite.

Marvin

RONG!

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Multimillionaire Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Oh? You own more than one Airstream?
Iíve made it at last!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think anyone minds hearing about the hot, expensive new stuff, it's just that there are occasionally folks who INSIST those things are the ONLY way to go. No one should be made to feel like they don't belong just because they don't smoke expensive cigars and sleep on a pile of dubloons every night

And as for spelling, I'll never be a craftsman at that, but I'm comfertable with my fawlts!!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You all are too funny. I wish I could meet each and every one of you in person. Hey!...a national Forum rally!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #41
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Eye Awl sew uwes speel chequer, it sieves mie farm pour speeling.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
No one told me spelling counted.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote