Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Question No Airstream 28 in the US?

We are thinking about purchasing a 2008 Safari SE 28. We went shopping and saw lots of 2008's on the lots but not in this model. Two dealers have told us that they called the company and there are no extra units coming out of production and there are no units available at any dealer in the US. Place and order and they'll be available mid-October.

Just wanted to get folks thoughts on whether this is a typical scenario with Airstream or whether it sounded odd to them -- i.e., company letting inventory go to zero because of ??

Just wanting to make sure we won't be surprised if we order a unit and then something significantly changes about this model line.

THanks!
FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about a Signature or Ocean Breeze one or a plain Safari Colonial has those? Actually they list a 28 Safari SE in Kiwi

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Weekly

If I were you I would go to the Airstream website and find all the dealers and look online or call them myself.

George Sutton in Eugene Oregon has three I think one is a ccd and the other are plain Safaris in 28'

Sutton Rv :: Inventory :: New Units

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
_

. , .
hi freshair44...

welcome to the forums and airstreamin!

this is the END of 07 production and we are into 08 production...

dealers placed most of their orders for the YEAR at the dealers meeting last month....

so availability of left over 07s is gonna be based on what hasn't sold yet on each dealers lot....

it IS possible some dealers already have orders in for 08 28ft safaris,

but you would have to contact each/every dealer to find that info.

unless you gotta have it next week, ordering is really the best way to go...

takes about 8-12 weeks and can be spec'd exactly to your wishes...

while there is a trend toward more small units and LOTS of activity at the 25 ft size, 28s, 30s and 34s are still being ordered and built.

a/s doesn't operate like car makers....there is no company inventory.

they don't build a bunch of each and keep them on a back lot.

virtually every unit built is "sold" to a dealer or customer before it starts assembly.

cheers
2air'

perhaps you would like to share your rationale for selecting the 28se safari?

happy camping!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Our rationale on the 28:

We all LOVED the overall size and specifically the social space with the 25 SS - really thought it was open and inviting for having multiple people with the couch and dinette areas (important in our rainy state). My husband and son didn't care about the "personal" spaces, i.e., bed and bathroom but I am very concerned about the against the wall, smaller bed of the 25 SS next to the toilet and the small size of the toilet area. I have some experience with this as our boat is a "non-island bed" and I wish it wasn't.

The 25 FB is a great unit and much better layout for the personal spaces but we all agreed that for us the FB configuration doesn't work as well for our entertaining and TV watching.

So, we are looking at the 28 as it combines the personal and social spaces we all want. We'd really like to be in a 25 foot unit but . . . I just can't shake the feeling that I will regret the small bed/bath.

And why an "SE" - those great windows of course!!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
_

. , .
if you already suspect a 25 is too small...

IT IS!

i agree the island bed is a nicer arrangment,

and as popular as the front bed/rear door models are this nanosecond...

a standard layout is might fine too.

the 28 is a great size.

have you got at least a 3/4 ton something for towing?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
We have a 2005 GMC Denali with the Vortec 6.0L v8 SFI . . .
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Don't get the 25 SS

Hi FreshAir44
Get the 28 or 25 FB
We have the 25 SS
It does have GREAT social spaces (reason we liked and picked this setup) BUT the toilet area is a joke!!! Don't do it!
I'm only 6' tall and the ONLY way I can sit on the can is if I raise my left foot and rest it on the platform the toilet sits on...(can u visualize this?)
The corner bed is very comfortable but VERY hard to make.
We still LOVE our trailer but if we could trade for a 25 SS I'd do it in a flash!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I echo MillValleyCa's sentiments. We have the 25SS as well. We spent nearly 5 years researching before we bought it, including spending hours inside the trailer. After the second trip it was "why did we buy this layout?" Four years later we are contemplating moving up to the 28. All we have to decide is which one? CCD, Safari, Safari SE

Good luck
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Our 28' FB has more room between the end of the bed and the walls than our 28' RB had. I used to hit the light switches regularly with my butt in the RB.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We had a corner bed/angled toilet in our 25 six sleeper. I wouldn't choose that model again for all the reasons stated above. I think your intuition should be obeyed.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We also used to have a 25' SS and I think of it as more of a studio apartment layout. I think the corner bed is great for one but it is narrow for two and enclosed on three sides, so getting out of bed is a scramble over the others' feet. My husband didn't like the enclosed feeling and in the bathroom he would have to turn sideways and still hit the door or it would need to be left open.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
lost and forgotten

Hi, we have the "Lost and Forgotten" Safari 25-B rear queen model; And love it. We don't have a dinette and we are just fine with that. But we do have a decent bathroom and island queen bed. Came with a folding table for dineing or whatever, works perfectly. I think with the 28'er you will need a bigger tow vehicle. If you need the room of a 28'er, they are nice, plan on buying a 3/4 ton truck too. Just my opinion!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Where did you look? If you went south to Fife, I'd be surprised you saw any.... their selection is pretty small in comparison to to the white boxes they sell.

Try Airstream of Spokane (Airstreamofspokane.com) - they're nice folks, straight shooters.
Marc (also in Seattle)
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
We ended up with a 25 SS CCD. Like others, we had looked at the 28' and LOVED the sleeping and toilet/sink/shower area in the back. Absolutely loved it.

But for various reasons, we much preferred the living space in the 25'. It was almost a coin toss. But since we were very new to the whole Airstream thing, we opted for the 25', as $$ was the final factor.

After almost a year... I'd love a 28'. We're a family of 4 (soon to be 5 with addition of a 4-legged friend!) and sometimes it can get a teensy bit cramped, especially with all the rain we've had so far. But I'm not what anyone would call tall (5' nothing) and hubby is average height. So overall we're not complaining of course, and having a great time...

But I do dream of a 28'....
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Big people in Airstreams

I have a 2004 28W. I am 6'4" and weigh a fit 250. I can negotiate the commode and the shower, even though when I am in the shower it seems there is not enough room for me and the water at the same time...

It is easier to me to sit on the commode with the bathroom door open with my dainty size 14's sort of sticking out. If I do not have shoes on, I can cram half my foot under the door and sit fairly comfortably, so to speak, once I am seated, WITH the door closed. I have enough elbow room to read a magazine, but not a paper...however, our Jack Russel terrier thinks my toes a prime target sticking out under the door. He attacks them. Part of roughing it, I guess.

The shower does not have much 'swinging' room for a guy like me. If it was any smaller, it would not be workable. As it is, it is hard for me to turn 180 degrees with the shower door closed because I cannot stand upright in there. I have to tilt my head while standing, and my ear always seems to be right next to the roaring vent fan. The good news is I cannot fall in there -- there is not enough room for the trip down.

If I were to guess, people up to 6'6" would have minimal problems if you have decent flexibility and do not have a bunch of girth. Past that, you need to be skinny to make it.
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
To finish this post, we just put a deposit down on a 2008 Safari SE 23CNB. As I said in my Introduce Yourself post, we really went back and forth on new vs. used vs. small vs. large vs. vintage. We settled on the 23 for several different factors but mainly we just weren't ready to go large -- we want to do some camping in tighter places and we didn't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle so . . . we got this one!

We'll keep you posted as we begin our Airstream' experience!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir44
To finish this post, we just put a deposit down on a 2008 Safari SE 23CNB. As I said in my Introduce Yourself post, we really went back and forth on new vs. used vs. small vs. large vs. vintage. We settled on the 23 for several different factors but mainly we just weren't ready to go large -- we want to do some camping in tighter places and we didn't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle so . . . we got this one!

We'll keep you posted as we begin our Airstream' experience!

Hi, good choice and nice trailer; You and your tow vehicle will be happy. Enjoy your travels with your new Airstream. Now everyone here will be hounding you for a trailer name, pictures, and travel stories.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote