Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Newbie needs help in purchasing an 'online' trailer

The number one reason I'm purchasing an Airstream is you! The support is amazing! I found a small trailer for sale online but, need guidance in how to make the purchase successfully and then how do I transport it cross country? Any advice will be well received! Gratefully, Lady Bird
Lady Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Be Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bird View Post
The number one reason I'm purchasing an Airstream is you! The support is amazing! I found a small trailer for sale online but, need guidance in how to make the purchase successfully and then how do I transport it cross country? Any advice will be well received! Gratefully, Lady Bird
We'll need MUCH more information about your proposed purchase.

Do a search on "purchase mistake" or "Bought a problem" or such - ask the same question of the search engine several different ways.

In the meantime, hear are some threds that may be of interest.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ice-78870.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-it-56502.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...eam-73921.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ream-2866.html

Best to focus on trailers of about the vintage you are looking at.

PM or e-mail a couple of people you think you would trust here on the Forum and give them the details of your proposed trailer.

If vintage - PM someone who has actually done a renovation and get a list from them as to what to look for.

Study, reasearch, think about it - there will ALWAYS be used Airstreams for sale.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Dennis provided a great answer.. Hard to add more, but since your post is pretty vague on details, some more is worth adding.. Thing of old algebra and X, Y and Z Axis graphs as way to evaluate risks.. The older it is and more of a fixer upper, the higher one level of risk is.. The further away it is from you and friends or helpers the more risky it is on second axis. And finally, the more expensive it is the higher the risk on 3rd axis.. If all 3 are high risk, it really may not be good deal for first timer, or at least unless you've been to see it and had shop look at it to get hard data on costs to transport and fix up.. If it's new and at a dealer, risks are much lower... If it is a "fair condition" fixer-upper 3,000 miles away on E-Bay, that hasn't been moved or used for 10+ years, you might want to sit on your wallet...

The goal is to understand and then manage risks, by using resources here, at your bank or credit union, and elsewhere to avoid disasters and keep risks within limits...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! If you'd have asked how to buy sight unseen from a stranger, I'd always say don't. Buying on line is okay if . . . the buy is not on line, but in person, after a personal inspection. If I'm involved, the seller gets my cash when I personally see the product, after I inspect it, IF I like it, and after I see the title. If one of those are missing, it's an automatic no deal.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
I contacted one of the volunteer inspectors listed on this site that lived near the trailer I wanted to purchase. He was very helpful since I couldn't make the 10 hour drive twice and was limited on time.
ASNewbieKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Thanks for your reply. I understand and receive your advise. The trailer is a 2002 19' Bambi in perfect condition and is very well priced. They have agreed to drive it to the Tenn/Virginia for $1.00/mile. That is doable for me as its half way and I can take a long weekend and drive it home. They provided me the VIN number and lots of pics.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Where on the site can I find a Volunteer Inspector?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Thanks Dennis,
Your advice is solid and well received!