Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Norwood , Massachusetts
Newbie Needs Bambi Purchase Advice Please!

Another Newbie here with first AS purchase decision! After looking around for the last few years, I am considering buying a 2009 19' Int'l O Breeze that is priced at 39.9K and is 1500 mi from my home. I've been to see unit, and this is the exact style & size I want. If not this one I would go vintage.

Concerns: Basically in good shape and everything inside is clean and works, but used for sure. Outside more of a concern since is has been sitting outside at dealers for a year+, and I don't know what problems to look for. Some extra caulking on a couple windows outside & kitchen sink drain, couple small dings, dented propane tube on hitch outside (dealer will replace). I'm concerned about getting axle, tires & brakes checked since I have no one to do that. Dealer will stand behind trailer plus all work, but they are too far from me to take it back to for repairs.Feel like price is too high for condition, but we haven't negotiated yet. Want this model but don't want to take on a camper with potential big problems - minor repairs I don't mind. Can't afford new right now. Advice please? Must make decision ASAP. Thanks!
TikiTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
TikiTime

Welcome to the Forums. Tires, Brakes and suspension certainly should be ok, but you never know until you have an expert look at them. Tires are 4 years old and you should check the date stamp on them, since it is not recommended to use tires more than 5 years old.

40k seems way high, but I don't know. Check the NADA book on it and wait for others to chime in.

Good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Welcome to Planet Bambi!

The price will vary somewhat depending upon the model-- an International is pricier than the basic Sport, for example. The price does seem a bit high, but as you said, you can probably get them to come down.

Getting a warranty from the dealer is a good idea, even if you don't live close by.

Before you leave the dealership lot, you can make sure that all of the electrical, outlets, lights, appliances, &c. are working. See if they will run a hose over the roof and against the windows to ensure no leaks. The battery may be run-down if it's been on the lot for a while, so they should also charge up the battery for you. Then you can see if it will hold a charge.

Would suggest you plan to camp nearby for a couple of days, if possible, including some driving in the area. Ideally boondocking, to make sure they gave you a good battery. See if everything works and if you have further questions about how the systems operate. Then you can haul said Bambi back to the dealers to make good on the warranty if you find any problems before you head home.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just to throw another variable in here: Colonial Airstream has a 2009 19' Flying Cloud listed here. Not the Ocean Breeze trim, but still nicely equipped - and only a few hundred miles away.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The dealer where we purchased our Bambi allows Airstreams to "camp" overnight on their lot; e.g., when you arrive in the evening for service the next day. He offered to let us use hookups to camp the evening of the day we purchased to check everything out. If your dealer will allow you do that, I'd take him up on it. That will give you plenty of time to check everything out, get questions answered and have defects repaired, before you take it home.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I agree with Phoenix - maybe even camp in it on the lot before you make your decision. If it's been sitting with the dealer for a year... it's in the dealer's interest to let you do more than just "kick the tires" if it results in a sale, and its in your interest to find out if the product is worth the asking price. And, I've always felt (and you probably know this, too) that when you look in their eyes, and ask them a question they might not have thought of (like, "why has it been here a year?") that you gain more information! Good luck.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Priced too high, we bought a new "left-over model year" 2007 20' Safari SE four years ago for $37k with full factory warranty. List price was $50k.

Also there are signs of poor ownership, and maybe subfloor damage from leaks. Trailer that age should show little wear. You will soon forget the cost of the trailer, but the condition will always be there.

The 19' is a compact but excellent floor plan, very useful and popular. Shop the Airstream dealers for near or left-over new at that money; they will deal to get them off the inventory.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Norwood , Massachusetts
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice. Greatly appreciated! I will take all this into consideration before making a decision.
TikiTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Make an offer and be willing to compromise ... IF this is the AS that you want. The used AS store is cranking out trailers every day but they might not be just what you want as far as model / trim level / length ... sometimes it is worth a bit more to get just what you want. My dearly departed father always told me to make the best deal that I could; but if I got what I really wanted, the price would soon be forgotten ... not so if you get an unsatisfactory substitute. There seems to be fewer bambis on the market than the dual axle models - at least in this part of the country. Heavier population centers have dealers more ready to negotiaste price .... not so in our rural neck of the woods. Another consideration is warranty / dealer support. YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
La Cañada Flintridge , California
I just purchased a 2010 19' Ocean Breeze a few weeks ago. I LOVE it. It took me about 6 months to find mine. I had to have the OB because of the cool interior that is so light and airy. I had the previous owner do a little stuff to make it tip top. Good luck!
kellykellyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
La Cañada Flintridge , California
I guess I could have also mentioned that although I was also considering vintage, I liked the idea of new but my DH REALLY liked the idea of new. So, as far as new or new-ish went, the other options for me was a 2012 19' International that were just starting to get hard to find on the dealer lots with the 2013 models showing up. I had a few dealers that would sell a new 2012 Intl for $50k at about $5k to $7k off the MSRP. I paid $40k for my 2010 that had an original MSRP of $56k and the original owner had bought for $50k (He gave me the original sticker and his sale contract). I figured a $10k loss over 2 years was pretty harsh and didn't grind him. He was cool. I don't know what the 2013's are listed at but I am guessing it isn't less than the 2012! I love my Ocean Breeze and really even the new International models were not what I wanted. The OB interior is very different that the Sport, Flying Cloud or no OB International. At the end of the day, I wanted what I really wanted and I am happy.
kellykellyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I think Doug's point is a good one, as is Jerry's (Mefly2) about the "used Airstream store" - our local AS dealer has a new, 2012 19-footer "on sale" for $44900 but I'm sure they'd go lower if you were doing cash. I'm not trying to sell that -- just pointing out the price on a new unit to help you decide if this is a 'good deal.'
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Nothing else is like an Ocean Breeze

You are going to pay more for a limited edition OB. No other model has the OB interior and substance. We love ours and it always gets the "ooohs and aaaahs" from anyone looking at it....totally unique but expect to pay more for the OB.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote