Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa Bch , Florida
New to everything

1st Hello, hope I'm post this in the right area? Anyway the wife and i have kicked the AS idea around for about 3 years now, not really finding what we want in the immediate area here in Florida in used units, and I have I gotten cold feet on a used model a couple of times now, worrying about all the issues I read about here w/some units people have purchased.

I've found a new unit that I have to drive some distance for, not to bad. It is a brand new 25' Flying cloud 2014 w/the Ultra leather brand new they are willing to let go at $55700 plus $200 dealer prep and $950 for an installed WD hitch.

So what do you all think, pull the trigger, I think at this price I should have good resale value for awhile if we turn out not liking RVing , well I mean if the wife turns out not liking the whole RVing thing as I know I will .

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!!

Wayne
Divadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Welcome to the joy of Airstreaming!

Look into ProPride or Hensley hitch if that's not what the dealer is installing. There Re tons of hitch threads on the forums, as well as tons of opinions on what's 'best'.

I happen to have and love my ProPride, YMMV

Most dealer provided hitches are high price junk, IMHO. With a 25 footer you need sway prevention as well as weight distribution.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
That sounds like a great price to me. If that size and model fit what you're looking for, I would say go for it. As for the WD hitch, I'd go elsewhere. You'll surely find what you need at a better price... You won't need it to drive off the lot. They'll tell you otherwise. Good luck!

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa Bch , Florida
thanks, the hitch they sell was a Blue Ox.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I guess at that price the dealer can't throw in the hitch with the deal?

If you look in these forums there are proponents for all the major brand of hitches, Blue Ox included.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sounds good. Personally I wouldn't worry about the hitch as long has it includes sway control.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My advise, buy it. As some point you just have to jump in feet first. I have not pulled with a Blue-ox but do know that it is a fine company with a lot of towing expertise. A few miles down the road will put you in a better position to know what is going to work best for you.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's really hard to say if that is a good price because we don't know the list of options on that particular unit and the list price. In general, you should expect that a dealer will sell a unit at the end of the camping season for at least 15% off of list. We bought our unit last November and got a little over 20% off list but our unit was a more expensive unit and purchased in the Northeast where the camping season was definitely over! That last point may be less true depending on where this dealer happens to be. But the model you are looking to buy is a "bread and butter" model for Airstream and they are available on dealer lots all over the country so I would definitely look for a discount off of list of between 15% and 20%.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Buy it, set it up, read the forums. Tow it a bit cautiously when you start out, and be darn sure lights and brakes work properly.

If it rides good and does not give you white knuckles when the wind blows or a semi blasts past you, you should be ok.

Otherwise, consider a ProPride or Hensley to mitigate the panic.

I made a couple trips up and down a mountain pass in SoCal with a Husky non-sway control setup before it got the better of me. Anyone want s nice used Husky setup--it's permanently on the garage floor now!!! I went with a ProPride after a great deal of research. No panics now-the AS just behaves itself nicely.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa Bch , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
It's really hard to say if that is a good price because we don't know the list of options on that particular unit and the list price. In general, you should expect that a dealer will sell a unit at the end of the camping season for at least 15% off of list. We bought our unit last November and got a little over 20% off list but our unit was a more expensive unit and purchased in the Northeast where the camping season was definitely over! That last point may be less true depending on where this dealer happens to be. But the model you are looking to buy is a "bread and butter" model for Airstream and they are available on dealer lots all over the country so I would definitely look for a discount off of list of between 15% and 20%.

Good luck!
Their showing list at 73,162 so their a little over 20% off the list if their list is a good # still is a ton of money to me!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
To me a "good" price is one you are willing (and able) to pay. If you feel comfortable with the $55k then jump in. Buying new has many advantages and I would love to do that too. We searched for over a year and got ours used by 3 years and saved about 45% of new but then had to replace tires, batteries and a converter. A new one won't have those issues.....at least....not today.

Good luck. We love our trailer and the 25FB fits us nicely.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
To me a "good" price is one you are willing (and able) to pay. If you feel comfortable with the $55k then jump in. Buying new has many advantages and I would love to do that too. We searched for over a year and got ours used by 3 years and saved about 45% of new but then had to replace tires, batteries and a converter. A new one won't have those issues.....at least....not today.

Good luck. We love our trailer and the 25FB fits us nicely.

Those issues are minor... Less than $2,000 vs. buying new for 45% more..... No brainier. Buy used if you find the right fit.

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divadog View Post
Their showing list at 73,162 so their a little over 20% off the list if their list is a good # still is a ton of money to me!
That's a good price in my book! If you want new, and can afford it, go for it! You won't regret it.