Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
2009 Flying Cloud

We are very happy with our 2009 Flying Cloud 25FB. We have owned the AS for almost a year and have found no major issues. Congratulations on your new AS.

2009 Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Silverado Duramax Extended Cab 4x4 LTZ

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've had both vintage and new (2008) AS. The old trailers were good and so are the new ones. Some things are a little different, but most are still the same. I think a lot of people that posted about disapointments with the new trailers had their heads in the clouds. No product is perfect. Given the choice between a vintage AS or a new one, I'd go with the new one. If you want a full time hobby restoring an AS; get a vintage trailer.

dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think there are major differences between the workmanship of Airstreams. Whether it's a Friday trailer thing, dumb luck, or what, some people have few or no issues. We have had a lot of problems because of poor workmanship.

Some problems are bad design. The location of the water pump on many models for a long time is a good example. Another is the positioning of the wire to the jack under the propane cover.

I don't think those things can be excused especially in a trailer sold at a premium price. I am glad some people get better built trailers. Ours has no corrosion so we are glad about that.

Shane, I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
We are very happy with our 2008 30ft classic.
karanmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #33
2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
We are the lucky ones: we own a beautiful Airstream!

She is coming up on two years old - yes we've had some very minor and mostly cosmetic issues that were fixed immediately and without complaint at our local Eugene dealer - and we love her as much as when we became infatuated with her on the lot. Really, everything in life needs maintainance and upkeep so we're looking forward to many, many years of travel adventures in our glowing silver trailer!

I love the charm of the beautifully restored vintage Airstreams but we're not "fixer - uppers" and paying someone else to fix, fix, fix stuff just wouldn't make us happy...
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive" - Bruce Springsteen
leopattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
the 31 is my 2nd new airstream.1st was a 2005 28 safari.have owned this one comming up on 4 years.other than a pump replacement in year 2,the only thing i do is use it and clean the interior and exterior after each use.only real maintenance is checking tire pressure and the hensley greasing and retourqing.i dont seem to have all the problems that other forum members have complained about.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Very Happy

We're very happy with our 2009 classic. The only "design" problem we have is why put the outside shower right next to the sewer. There's a bit of an ick factor for some of our non-camping guests. And yes, we keep the sewer area very clean :-)
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master
1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
I would love to have a new trailer, but it is just not in the cards for us at this point. We have an old one.... a very old one and I often find myself secretely envious of the new ones. They are cool and they are relevant. Most of all it is still an Airstream which is one of the coolest American Made Icons to roll off of the assembly line. I say good for you and I hope you enjoy your purchase.... remember.. the worst thing you can do is let it sit... get out and use it and have fun! Hope to see you down the road sometime.
Louis & Sergio

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Good luck on the new trailer purchase. We purchased a new trailer in June 09. I don't think there is any right or wrong to it. It all comes down to what you really want. After reading all kind of info on here and also looking at older models for sale, which were very scarce in our area. We just decided to purchase a new one. We didn't have the time or space to buy an older model and fix to our likings. So far we're still happy with it, just wish we had more time to travel.
blueiwahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #38

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
reality check?...

Bottom line for me.....quality does not match price point.

It didn't in 2003, it still doesn't in 2010.

Been Streaming for 22yrs, wouldn't own any other trailer, but that doesn't mean that we should be satisfied with the "best" of a mediocre choice.

It's unfortunate that AS has no competition for quality trailers in today's marketplace, listening to owners hasn't worked, competition might.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #39
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Well after two days of Driveway Camping, I'm in love!!! The fit the finish, the luxurious beauty of it all. I'm a "Streamer" for life. I'm Very Lucky and LOVE my International.

Thank-you for all the kind words, this is a dream come true!!

BTW, I posted some pics on the Forum under International/2010 International.

THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We bought our '08 in '07 going on 3 years of happy camping. The only problem is the skylight started leaking and the battery got a dead cell. The skylight problem has exsisted on all models for many years. It's made of a fast deteriorating thin plastic with really crappy attachment. Seems the factory would have come up with a better design by now. The battery was dated 4 years ago and had many deep discharges so I can't blame AS.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #41
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
For the price of an Airstream you are entitled to a good product. Go over your purchase with a fine tooth comb and don't take delivery until they fix anything that is wrong.

Keep a list and bring it back if any other faults show up later.

This is the only way the dealers and factory will take quality control seriously. If the customers let things slide the dealer will think they don't care. If the dealers don't complain the facory will think nothing is wrong.

The faults people mention, in most cases could be easily eliminated by the factory at very little cost, if the customers demanded they do so.

In the long run the worst thing that could happen is for everyone to suffer in silence.... and never buy another Airstream again.
Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #42
I tow where I'm told.
2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Enjoy that new aluminum Shane. Don't get pulled into the Forum vortex of unhappyness. Just remember if you are happy with your new AS that is all that matters. My suggestion is to stay on top of the issues found (if any) while it is under warranty, do the required maintenance and log onto the Airforums for its great wealth of information on Airstream ownership.

Safe Travels!!!

MrRivet is offline   Reply With Quote