Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Jezum Shane

You have one of the worse cases of pre-buyers remorse I have ever read about. I cannot figure out if you just regret selling the Argosy or if you are just rubbing it in that you bought a new fancy trailer.

Which is it?

Sounds like you are already disappointed with this new one...have you even seen it yet???

I hope it works out for you. It is hard to complain about older trailers and part of them fun is fixing them up.

Maybe it will be just as fun to find problems and fix them too!

Here is to hoping you will love the one you are with.

Good luck.

Wow what a different perspective...bragging?

Homestly i was hearing one side, just looking for both.Thats all.

THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I guess if I had a time machine that was big enough and could choose between a brand new 1968 right off the line and a brand new 2010 right off the line the answer might matter.

But even then I'm not sure I'd give up Marathons for bias ply, PEX for copper, solid state DC converters for the old univolts, electronic ignition in the water heater, electronic controls for the fridge, fantastic fan, air conditioning, gray water tank, 1960s axle and brake technology, 1960s hitch technology, etc.

Maybe the shell material was better Back Then, or the workmanship, or we miss the door within a door, or whatever. Doesn't matter. You can only buy what you can buy. I think that, despite specific problem areas, on the whole, the trailers you buy today are at least as good as the trailers being sold at any point in the past.

I also think that new trailers represent a good value compared to SOBs, which just don't last as long. You don't see 30 year old SOBs in the shop for interior renovation. In part it's because the value isn't there but more than that they just don't last that long. I'm a sucker for things that are durable, sure, but I did the math and can't convince myself that I'd save myself any money in the long run by getting an SOB, and besides, they're not as nice.

Finally, while I have great respect for people who restore old trailers you have to consider that that isn't a task for everyone. You have to have time, space, tools, skills, patience, and how shall we say, a lack of spousal interference.

I considered all the choices out there and feel good about where I ended up.

Now, if I could just find that Avion C-10 to complete the set...

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have praised our Airstream on this forum at every opportunity. We absolutely love it.
Not perfect, but what is?

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." - John Keats
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I like the new trailers, and the International CCDs most out of all of them. You're going to be fine. Enjoy your new trailer, and I hope your pick-up goes great today.

Good luck,
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
We love our 2009 19' International! I haven't found a thing wrong with it, and believe me I've crawled over every square inch of it after reading some of the horror stories posted here. Meanwhile, the amount of fun we've had using it you couldn't put a price on.
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Maybe it will be just as fun to find problems and fix them too!
Good attitude! Given our time and inclination and skill, fixing the newer ones is quite managable and still fun, though maybe not as much fun, as fixing vintage.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I would say the older airstreams had just as many problems as the newer models, the one major difference is the internet, more people can complain and be heard than back in the earlier days. lets not forget how much work has gone into those vintage units to keep them on the road.You can argue quality all day long but the fact of the matter is most of the vintage trailers would have been melted and recycled if the owners had not spent much time, money and labor to keep them going. The same will be true with today's units.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Back in December my wife, daughter and myself were able to go take the factory tour. I was really impressed with the manufacturing, fit and finish of the trailers we saw. Hopefully one day we will get one of these. When I compare these to the fit/finish of my 81 - I am disgusted with mine.
As I have repaired my trailer I was really taken aback on how sloppily it was assembled. No craftsmanship. Most of the aluminum and wood look like they were hacked with a sawzaw and rivets put in at random. Most of the furnishings, cabinets and wall were installed crooked. Definitely a Monday or Friday production trailer.
In many ways my trailer is better than when it came off the assembly line but I would definitely take a new one any day.
I have read through the gripes of those with new trailers. Except for the filiform issue which is big - all the other issues are small potatoes..
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new Airstream!!

I hope you spend many trouble free days enjoying it. You have a pretty good warranty period to sort out any potential problems. Based on experience with a new trailer, my only advice would be to not sweat the minor problems that you can fix or modify yourself, but be very persistent with the dealership or Jackson Center on any warranty issues above that. Some of the minor mods I've done because of small defects have actually made the AS better.
Best of luck!
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We bought our '06 19' Safari SE Bambi new...and we have been very pleased with it. We do not regret buying new. It's been a joy to camp with and we've made good use of it. We've only had a couple of minor issues and once fixed, it was sure to make use of your warranty for ANYTHING that is an issue for you...don't be shy about it...that's what it's for...

Aside from the normal things that are bound to go wrong from dragging your rig down the road at 65 mph..."Don't happy"... you have brand spanking new Airstream, you lucky dog!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I'll put my 2008 30SO up against any "vintage" out there.
'67 Ambassador
'76 Sovereign
'05 Limited
My '08 is superior in every aspect.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
It seems like as I scan over the threads in different parts of this Forum, I'm coming across that new is bad on airstreams. Very few members have praised their new ones. Or is it that mostly only the complaints surface. Am I making a mistake by buying new? I'm a little worried. Could I get LUCKY and get one that has a grade A on quality control?

I know quit worrying, it what it is, A trailer not a Mercedes. But still just need a little reassurance......but you know what.......

She's already bought and paid for and getting her today. Wish me Luck.

Fingers Crossed......

I think that it's natural for newbee Airstream owners think that when they pay 2x-3x what they would have to for a quality SOB, they expect perfection, and when they find their AS is not PERFECT they get upset.

Most of us "experienced" AS owners know that we didn't buy an AS for perfection -- we bought one because its what we wanted.

Our previously owned 2001 Safari 25SS is not perfect -- far from it. But We just love it to death...and although we keep going to RV shows every year, we've yet to see anything we like better.

So enjoy the experience and don't sweat the little things. Remember, life is short and death is long!

BTW, Long Live the 25SS model!!
Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I think even in past years there were craftsmanship issues, short cuts etc. Having pulled this 63 mostly apart shellwise, I have bows that are only partials, that if moved over an inch or two would have been able to be complete, or that didn't go all the way to the floor, seams that have no factory sealer (and they leak for some reason) etc. Known water issues at the back bumper, the list goes on and on, but we still love them, as hopefully you will with your 2010, inperfections and all.
Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit

Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
baby moons for stock rims with clips
twist drawer knobs and their face frame screw in hook

Marvel Refrigerator

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy. We bought Lucy new in June of 2006. Since then, we have spent almost 600 nights in Lucy and have pulled her over 50,000 miles in all of the lower 48 states.

Lucy has served us very well. She has has had some maintenance issues, but nothing that we wouldn't have expected.

All-in-all, Lucy has been a great trailer, and continues to serve us well. The late model traiers are as good as anything Airstream has ever made. There is nothing better out there.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote