Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Katy , Texas

Wow! Thanks for all the help! I went and looked at 3 different AS today. The 1973 makes me pretty nervous. I looked at a 2010 model and a 2012 model. I think we're going to keep looking for a good deal.

I will keep you updated!

Smith77494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
And in addition to the above I would recommend the idea that whatever you buy you may not keep very long. Not because the coach is "a problem" but because you and yours have a much better idea of what size, floorplan and amenities are preferred with some experience.

Expect, for example that anything less than 15,000-btu A/C unit in a 23' or larger is really not up to Texas summer heat (especially if parked in sunlight). So -- as with what follows -- there are immediate trailer supplies and/or necessities that will come up with any coach bought.

Between now and trailer purchase, go ahead and order up a PRO-PRIDE hitch, a MAXBRAKE controller, and set aside enough for new axles (year dependent) and a disc brake retrofit. See threads on LED running lights as well as LED brake/signal lights (buy once TT purchased). (Same for 7-way harness, safety chains and breakaway switch on older units).

Lynx Levelers, Rotochoks, Sewer Solution, etc. Dedicated torque wrench, highest quailty digital air gauge (tire pressure), etc. Pro quality fire extinguisher[s], CO, LP, Smoke alarms. Weather hazard radio.

Locate who in your town does trailer alignments (maybe whom you have install the new axles if required) and, IMO, new coach batteries (brand, type,size, cabling, etc).

Texas requires a safety inspection (road safety) that a trailer service facility can do.

Everything you can do to cover the TT needs for safe, legal compliance with new, better, brighter as concerns on-the-road performance should be first on the list.

And a new set of LT-spec tires with CENTRAMATIC balancers.

IOW, some homework off to the side when trailer gazing induces the thousand yard stare.

There are no end of well-done threads around here of which this is a good starter example.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Smith77494 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I went and looked at 3 different AS today. The 1973 makes me pretty nervous. I looked at a 2010 model and a 2012 model. I think we're going to keep looking for a good deal.

I will keep you updated!

The very best place to LOOK is at an Airstream RALLY - Most people love to show of their trailers and will give you a tour underscoring what they like or don't like. Check the rally section and see if you can drop in, talk and learn.

Texas even has an Airstream Only park!

Happy hunting. Paula
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
1997 25' Safari
Maitland , Florida
Any interest?

Any interest in a 1997 25' Safari? We are thinking of selling ours and it's in truly beautiful condition. We will be placing an ad soon on this site but feel free to contact me. Our unit has a front couch and 2 rear twins. We ripped out the carpet and installed a wood-look vinyl floor. All systems are in perfect order. This may sound weird but our toilet has never even seen solid waste if you know what I mean! The clearcoat on the top has degraded in areas and we have a small dent in the rear bumper that's not part of the actual body. We LOVE our Safari but are giving it up in order to buy a park model to place on a condo RV site we own on the east coast of FL. Email if you want more info.
bassetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Post her right here in the Classifieds, shouldn't take long.

Good luck with your sale.

Bob...the PWD lover.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote