Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
~ Need Educated Advice Please:how to go fulltime? ~

Hello

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to go fulltime.

About done University and will work from home soon at my newly formed business I managed to save 25k and this is what I need HELP with....deciding what is best to buy out rgt and whats best to finance. I can't buy both some one has HAS to be financed

I need a f150 ecoboost and hope to get one under 24k
I also need a used airstream and I'm willing to go as high as 40k but would prefer a bit older one to fix up just esoterica not major repairs under 15k so I have some wiggle room for fixing it up ~ I will add a heater its cold in Canada.

What would be the best thing to fiancé? The Truck or the Airstream?

If I finance an airstream I figure il have to go to hate bank for the loan then buy of someone SCARY stuff as I'm not Rich, just want a simpler happy life.

Thanks for whose era input
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
If you want a simple happy life do not go into debt.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
If you want a simple happy life do not go into debt.
Yeah, what he said!

Go vintage, take good care of your stuff, it will last a long time. Airstreams are famous for their longevity!

Congrats on coming out of Uni with money saved up. you're in a better place than most people your age. Get out and enjoy the world while you can!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another voice for ditto..

1. Your NEW business hasn't yet proven it can reliably generate a lot of consistent month-to-month cash.. Hate being negative, but added pressure of meeting monthly debt payments won't help get through rough spots.
2. A new F150 Eco Boost Truck is hardly necessary to tow an Airstream, especially one that sits for periods when you work on new business from mobile office.. Around here, a perfectly suitable used F-150 with V-8 and tow package can be had for less than $7,500... Same with used Suburban's or Ford Explorers..
3. Any Airstream from 25' to 31' from 1988 through 1993 with functional appliances, furnace and sound interior should be less than $20K.. Buying newer wide-body adds weight, cost and potentially increased depreciation..
4. If you proceed despite these, a new Truck will depreciate a lot, and financing rapidly depreciating assets is often sub-optimal strategy, with potential to leave you upside-down (owing more than asset value.) in event you need to bail out quickly. A used trailer more than 10 years old will be difficult to finance, since bank lenders will look at "Bluebook" values calculated with straight line depreciation that ignores longevity and non-standard (higher..) demand for used Airstreams... So financing either on great terms might be a problem...

Good luck!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh canada!

The banking industry is a lot different north and south of the border - so first I'd ask for specific input from fellow Canadians.

Secondly - here in the states the interest rates are still near all time lows - so if you MUST finance, now is a pretty benign time to do it.

Thirdly - what you buy in terms of a tow vehicle OR a trailer (notice the omission of the word Airstream) depend on your skill set doing maintenance, your free time, and your desire to actually DO the work rather than dither around thinking about it).

Finally - Don't underestimate the costs of traveling - and ordinary living expenses such as healthcare. (I know it's nationized in Canada, but the employer pays... and if you're starting a business you'll be the employer).

It's MY opinion that finding a one or two year old trailer that someone else bought - then had a life change or just a realization that "hey I'd rather stay in a nice spa hotel than in the woods" - is the best of both worlds. You get a trailer with few if any issues, and the big initial depreciation hit already taken.

Pretty much Ditto for a truck - though there are vanity trucks and work trucks - and a work truck can be pretty beat up even after a year or two.

The most important thing IMHO is leave yourself with the ability to back out gracefully if the stars align so that you need to - or an opportunity too good to pass up hits you between the eyes. For YOU and you alone, it might make more sense to finance everything up to the max and keep $20K for contingency backup. I say this because you mentioned "starting a business." Whether it's mobile, internet or bricks and mortar - getting started is a lot harder than most people imagine, and in the USA the failure rate is 50% in the first year and 95% over the first five years. You could have many lean months before your income becomes steady, and many between steady and "enough".

OH CANADA - isn't really the best place to full time in an Airstream. They are designed to be 3 season campers. This is an experiment. Get a true 4 season trailer for less money. Once you're well established, buy an Airstream and winter in Boca Raton!

Good luck and happy trails, Paula
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I too would reconsider full-timing in an Airstream with the sub-freezing/sub-zero temperatures of Manitoba - unless you can be a snowbird and relocate to a sunny climate 4-6 months out of the year.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Not planning on living in Manitoba thank you everyone.

Gives me more to consider and think about, you all where of BIG help.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Upon further review...

I realized message above may have seemed a bit harsh. I failed to address possibility that brand new Ford truck might be an actual requirement of new business.. Not sure exactly how that would work, but I can imagine some franchise or public contact positions where vehicle demands are part of the program.. If that is the case, I apologize.. Point I was trying to make was that there are an endless supply of serviceable and reliable tow vehicles for mid-size Airstreams for far less money and that would enable avoiding financing altogether... Oddly, local dealers here now offering 2013 model F150 ecoboost pickup trucks (work models..) for less than $17K as part of year-end sales...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Just wanted to chime in and add to the "do not go into debt" list. You'll be much happier repairing as you go than partnering with a bank. If at all possible, do not borrow if there is a solution within your present means.

BTW - Vintage solutions can be surprisingly affordable AND reliable if you do your homework and don't mind rolling up your sleeves. That savings might give you a lot more than you think. Used/vintage tow vehicles and Airstreams alike are best judged by condition rather than age.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What's with everybody saying "don't go into debt"? That's unAmerican!

Oh, Manitoba. Never-mind.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Ditto the debt comments! You'll love the freedom from financial fear that the more simple life brings. I'm on the other end of the age spectrum, but nearly forty years ago my wife and I committed to being debt free except for a home mortgage. We'd never be able to live in retirement on the scale we live on now had it not been for that decision.

I just sold my very clean '92 34' Limited for $16K. I think shorter Airstreams probably bring more but certainly not a lot more if you're patient. I've never minded driving older stuff – after all every vehicle you see on the road is a used one! If you're not mechanically savvy (and maybe even if you are), when you find an older TV you like, pay a few dollars to have a pro look it over and identify any needed repairs. The last pro I hired for this was less than $100.00. Right now I have two beautiful and good running Lincoln Continentals, one a '95, the other an '01. If I sold both of them today I would not get more than $7,500.00 total, but I love them both and they are so reliable that I am not afraid to go anywhere I chose to go. My truck is a REALLY nice '96 Dodge Cummins that drives and pulls wonderfully. Since I sold my Limited I now have the truck for sale, priced at less than $10K. I'm probably weird, but I find a lot of satisfaction in driving the old stuff. The secret is to buy wisely, drive conservatively, and maintain what you own meticulously.

Bottom line, if you do decide to go with a new TV, be cautious and conservative in your choice!

Best of luck!

Gene
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
condoluminum

Not taken as harsh at all I appreciate your wisdom )
Also I will now take into consideration an older truck as this will enable me to possibly by out rgt a used airstream or close too

Can you recommend any good trucks that could pull a 30 foot or max 32 airstream, I'm leaning towards an Excella but not sold on that model 100% yet..... I like the ecoboost because I heard the tow package is up to 11,300 that's the 2011 but I heard the 2010 is around 9,000. All this gets confusing for a newbie like me!!

Any further advice appreciated. I may even look into year end sales 17k is better than 24k which I've seen in the 2011
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
How do I know what kind of tow package a truck has? Weigh it can pull?

I own a jeep liberty it pulls as per door 4,300 but I will sell it in due time.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There is a placard in the vehicles (in the tow vehicle and similar in the trailer) that give most of the capacities. You might need to look inside the owner's manual to get the rest of the information.

None of these maximum capacities, set by the manufacturer, should be exceeded.

GVRW (on the tow vehicle placard) = the empty weight of the truck + maximum weight of all things added
Payload (on the tow vehicle placard) = the maximum weight of all passengers and cargo the vehicle can haul. This includes the weight of the trailer that bears on the truck (tongue weight)
GCRW (on the tow vehicle placard or in manual) = the maximum weight of tow vehicle, payload, and weight of trailer including the load within the trailer. (my truck's owner's manual has a chart that shows the GCRW based on the equipment as actually installed)

There is also the maximum weight each axle can support. And each tire has a weight limit.

You can not tow the maximum trailer weight and also haul the maximum payload.

It is sort of a balancing act to stay within all of the limits.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
Not planning on living in Manitoba thank you everyone.

Gives me more to consider and think about, you all where of BIG help.
.............Oops, wrong forum.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
.............Oops, wrong forum.
Why?

To the OP, where do you plan on taking your Airstream? Anywhere in Canada can have its challenges during the winter. Even in the milder climates here on the West Coast. I spent a year living in mine and the winter in Vancouver was manageable, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it anywhere that is colder or for longer duration. There is loads of information here to give you ideas for winter living and if you do a quick search you'll have hours of reading material. Also, I found that my 25 foot trailer was plenty of space for me, my belongings and my two dogs. You mentioned 30 to 32 feet so if you're single, shorter might be okay. Have fun with your search.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Simpler happier life= no debt that you cannot pay off if needed.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
The GAWR/GVWR response was in the right direction.. Tow vehicles are "Rated" by the manufacturers based on equipment and options (engine/transmission/suspension etc) for tow limits in pounds. Those limits actually include passengers and luggage in tow vehicle in addition to trailer and stuff in trailer. That is why common consensus here is to use tow vehicle rated at 120% of GVWR of trailer.. The crossover for Airstreams between "Half Ton" and "Three Quarter Ton" trucks (i.e. Chevy 1500 v. 2500 or Ford F150 v. F250 versions) is right about 30 to 32 feet of Airstream, depending on trim level and age. Older "narrow body Airstreams are lighter for same length, but Excella models with real Oak cabinets are heavier than early 90's Safari models with lighter interiors.. In addition, Diesels often have more torque/tow capacity than gas V-8's or V-6's and some of the longer two-axle Airstreams have heavy tongue weights, which require better hitches and possibly heavier rear suspensions due to the weight on hitch.. Wheelbase and truck weight also makes a difference in towing stability (longer and heavier is more stable, in general..).

For these reasons, it is hard to say "use this to tow that!" with certainty.. That said, for a 30' Airstream Excella, good candidates would be a Chevy/GMC Suburban 2500 or Club/Extended cab F250 Pickup. Choice of closed cabin (Suburban/ Expedition/ Excursion) versus pickup truck will also depend on style, number of people or animals going along, and stuff you need to take. With people or multiple animals, closed unit with extra seats is needed. For just you, with "stuff" like bicycle, motorized machines, generator, other belongings, etc. you may find a pickup with shell or bed cover makes more sense.. Again, could also depend on business needs. If you were going for the 28' or 29', and not planning to tow in mountains or rough terrain, you might get by with a half ton version, depending on drive system (4WD trucks often have higher town weight ratings) and rear axle ratios, etc.. A short bed F150 or Chevy 1500 truck with regular cab might make it, but you should check numbers carefully.. For those size trailers, a short-wheelbase Jeep might have load rating, but might not be fun to drive without very well set up hitch and sway controls.. Finally, I am not real familiar with Dodge or Toyota Tundra/Nissan Titan trucks, but same principles apply... Look at weight ratings, hitch and drive system, and weight and length of truck and shoot for GVWR rating greater than trailer GVWR by 20%, to allow for you and stuff added to truck. Things you load into trailer will bring it up to its rated max weight...

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
Hello

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to go full-time.

About done University and will work from home soon at my newly formed business I managed to save 25k and this is what I need HELP with....deciding what is best to buy out rgt and whats best to finance. I can't buy both some one has HAS to be financed

I need a f150 ecoboost and hope to get one under 24k
I also need a used airstream and I'm willing to go as high as 40k but would prefer a bit older one to fix up just esoterica not major repairs under 15k so I have some wiggle room for fixing it up ~ I will add a heater its cold in Canada.

What would be the best thing to fiancé? The Truck or the Airstream?

If I finance an airstream I figure il have to go to hate bank for the loan then buy of someone SCARY stuff as I'm not Rich, just want a simpler happy life.

Thanks for whose era input
Hi, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have read several stories, on this forum, similar to yours; Single female, new career, I want an Airstream, I want to full time, I have this much money, I have no experience at all, I have all of these wonderful dreams, Etc Etc Etc. I/we haven't heard of any of them actually doing it and/or being successful doing their dream. They just faded away and never posted again. Who knows, maybe you will be the first to actually do it.

If you really want to know what it takes, you need to have a long discussion with Paula, Foiled Again. She's very knowledgeable and a straight talker.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote