Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
Not planning on living in Manitoba thank you everyone.

Gives me more to consider and think about, you all where of BIG help.
.............Oops, wrong forum.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
.............Oops, wrong forum.
Why?

To the OP, where do you plan on taking your Airstream? Anywhere in Canada can have its challenges during the winter. Even in the milder climates here on the West Coast. I spent a year living in mine and the winter in Vancouver was manageable, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it anywhere that is colder or for longer duration. There is loads of information here to give you ideas for winter living and if you do a quick search you'll have hours of reading material. Also, I found that my 25 foot trailer was plenty of space for me, my belongings and my two dogs. You mentioned 30 to 32 feet so if you're single, shorter might be okay. Have fun with your search.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Simpler happier life= no debt that you cannot pay off if needed.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The GAWR/GVWR response was in the right direction.. Tow vehicles are "Rated" by the manufacturers based on equipment and options (engine/transmission/suspension etc) for tow limits in pounds. Those limits actually include passengers and luggage in tow vehicle in addition to trailer and stuff in trailer. That is why common consensus here is to use tow vehicle rated at 120% of GVWR of trailer.. The crossover for Airstreams between "Half Ton" and "Three Quarter Ton" trucks (i.e. Chevy 1500 v. 2500 or Ford F150 v. F250 versions) is right about 30 to 32 feet of Airstream, depending on trim level and age. Older "narrow body Airstreams are lighter for same length, but Excella models with real Oak cabinets are heavier than early 90's Safari models with lighter interiors.. In addition, Diesels often have more torque/tow capacity than gas V-8's or V-6's and some of the longer two-axle Airstreams have heavy tongue weights, which require better hitches and possibly heavier rear suspensions due to the weight on hitch.. Wheelbase and truck weight also makes a difference in towing stability (longer and heavier is more stable, in general..).

For these reasons, it is hard to say "use this to tow that!" with certainty.. That said, for a 30' Airstream Excella, good candidates would be a Chevy/GMC Suburban 2500 or Club/Extended cab F250 Pickup. Choice of closed cabin (Suburban/ Expedition/ Excursion) versus pickup truck will also depend on style, number of people or animals going along, and stuff you need to take. With people or multiple animals, closed unit with extra seats is needed. For just you, with "stuff" like bicycle, motorized machines, generator, other belongings, etc. you may find a pickup with shell or bed cover makes more sense.. Again, could also depend on business needs. If you were going for the 28' or 29', and not planning to tow in mountains or rough terrain, you might get by with a half ton version, depending on drive system (4WD trucks often have higher town weight ratings) and rear axle ratios, etc.. A short bed F150 or Chevy 1500 truck with regular cab might make it, but you should check numbers carefully.. For those size trailers, a short-wheelbase Jeep might have load rating, but might not be fun to drive without very well set up hitch and sway controls.. Finally, I am not real familiar with Dodge or Toyota Tundra/Nissan Titan trucks, but same principles apply... Look at weight ratings, hitch and drive system, and weight and length of truck and shoot for GVWR rating greater than trailer GVWR by 20%, to allow for you and stuff added to truck. Things you load into trailer will bring it up to its rated max weight...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
Hello

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to go full-time.

About done University and will work from home soon at my newly formed business I managed to save 25k and this is what I need HELP with....deciding what is best to buy out rgt and whats best to finance. I can't buy both some one has HAS to be financed

I need a f150 ecoboost and hope to get one under 24k
I also need a used airstream and I'm willing to go as high as 40k but would prefer a bit older one to fix up just esoterica not major repairs under 15k so I have some wiggle room for fixing it up ~ I will add a heater its cold in Canada.

What would be the best thing to fiancť? The Truck or the Airstream?

If I finance an airstream I figure il have to go to hate bank for the loan then buy of someone SCARY stuff as I'm not Rich, just want a simpler happy life.

Thanks for whose era input
Hi, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have read several stories, on this forum, similar to yours; Single female, new career, I want an Airstream, I want to full time, I have this much money, I have no experience at all, I have all of these wonderful dreams, Etc Etc Etc. I/we haven't heard of any of them actually doing it and/or being successful doing their dream. They just faded away and never posted again. Who knows, maybe you will be the first to actually do it.

If you really want to know what it takes, you need to have a long discussion with Paula, Foiled Again. She's very knowledgeable and a straight talker.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Hi, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have read several stories, on this forum, similar to yours; Single female, new career, I want an Airstream, I want to full time, I have this much money, I have no experience at all, I have all of these wonderful dreams, Etc Etc Etc. I/we haven't heard of any of them actually doing it and/or being successful doing their dream. They just faded away and never posted again. Who knows, maybe you will be the first to actually do it.

If you really want to know what it takes, you need to have a long discussion with Paula, Foiled Again. She's very knowledgeable and a straight talker.
Check out RVSue's blog from the beginning. She's single, had no experience and went fulltime when she retired. Lives on a shoestring budget and it sounds like the best thing she ever did. http://rvsueandcrew.net/ She inspired us.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Check out RVSue's blog from the beginning. She's single, had no experience and went fulltime when she retired. Lives on a shoestring budget and it sounds like the best thing she ever did. rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more She inspired us.
Hi, I'm happy for her, but she tows a small Casita, not an Airstream. "When she retired" Not starting her own new business. And I'm sure she didn't post her dream on this forum for me to read. So my statement still stands until you become the first.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Hey Happy Days! In a nutshell, here is what I ended up with trying to keep costs down but also getting as close to new as possible - two years ago- 2011 and, not a full-timer.

I found a certified pre-owned F150 super crew with tow package, not an ecoboost but like new with low miles at the dealer- a $40K vehicle for $24K with a 100,000 mile warranty. Shop carefully. The truck was my first step in the purchase plan. I would have also preferred an ecoboost but the extra $10K required to get it at the time was over the top for me. There was a special 1.9% financing on the trucks- even used models.

I found a six year old 25' Safari for under $30K but with some needed work. I have added a chunk of money for additions and accessories including a used hitch for $1800 or so. The trailer financing was more, the dealer shopped and I got the best he could find - 6 point something. I ended up paying it off but this should indicate IF you have to finance, what to consider. I was told I could write off the charges on my taxes. That is true ONLY if your itemized deductions surpass the standard deduction, which is high. It did not materialize for me.

I will tell you that I like your idea but I think you need some more money before you sign the dotted line. Buying used is smart but there is almost always something that needs to be replaced or updated. Even new buyers find things they want to do to their units. I tried to be careful and penny-pinch during my purchases and you get an idea what it cost me. The hitch became important for safety and was unexpected as a need. It happened when I got new tires on the truck and suddenly the sway was just too much- never a problem before. The point is that one cost led to another. When you shop for the trailer, look for the Hensley or Pro Pride hitch as a potential purchasing bonus that may be included with the trailer.

I cannot say anything about vintage (older than 20 yrs.) versus used. The older ones are lighter, narrower and have all clad aluminum- like solid aluminum coated aluminum alloy per se. The newer models 1981 or so on, no longer have the aluminum "coat or solid part" only the alloy part. (simplified description). This is nice as it is potentially stronger but requires polishing and, older units may need more extensive repairs. The used models offer less potential requirements for fixing depending on age. My goal, after shopping new units, was to get as new as possible and focus on condition.

I hope this helps. Be careful with the tongue weight and the truck "payload" capacity. Many will tell you that it is ok to violate this but to be safe, it is not. Towing capacity is only related to the total gross fully loaded weight of the trailer. Most F150 don't fall short there, it is payload to watch. Ford F150 late models will have a driver door sticker that gives you the payload rating for that truck - usually 1300-1900 or so pounds. The towing capacity is easy to reference on the Internet for year and style, engine, and rear final ratio- ford towing guide. The sticker on the door says something like "do not exceed carrying capacity of more than X pounds" for people, gear and load. My advice would be to purchase your tow vehicle with a towing capacity enough to tow any AS you would consider, stabilize yourself financially while driving your truck and once you have enough money, shop for your AS.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thank you VERY much to Rod the last poster

And all others too.

Great advice I will copy and keep it all

I'm not single by the way, I'm Married