Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

South Pasadena , California
NADA Guides for RV pricing

I am looking to purchase AS in about a year. Learning everything I can about by reading through this forum. I came across NADA Guides here I believe. I did some comparison between asking price of private sellers and NADA Guides. There is a big difference between seller's price and what NADA thinks is worth.

What is your take on this? Is NADA a good source like the Kelley's Blue Book for cars?

Thank you for your time.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The guides don't relate to what people are prepared to spend for a desirable trailer with name recognition. Especially for the smaller, vintage models. You need to base your offering price on condition and desirability of the model/year/length.

Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
NADA is a pretty good guide for most other brands, but you kind of have to throw the book away when it comes to Airstreams. The newer models it gets pretty close, but Cameron is right...it is dead wrong on the vintage stuff. When dealerships in particular look at NADA, it is the base price, not the price it comes up once you add every "option" NADA lists like air conditioning and stabilizer jacks. The newer Airstreams come with everything anyway, so adding these "options" is really like counting value in there twice for the same thing.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My understanding is that on cars NADA and Kelly Blue Book are calculated from actual selling prices and thus accurately reflect the market, but that on Airstream trailers they just use a formula for depreciation.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
NADA is just a guide. Airstreams (and most other things) are worth what people are willing to pay. Supply and demand have more of an impact. Looking at the classifieds you get a sense of what people are asking. Those tend to be a little higher. A dealer might let a trailer go for lower if it's been sitting on the lot too long. There's too many variables for a NADA guide to accurately track them all.

Do your research, establish your budget, and make an offer. The worst that can happen is that they tell you "no". Be prepared to walk away. If you fall in love with a trailer you'll tend to overpay.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Some price guides work for some items. Nada is a pretty good gauge for typical RV pricing. I've bought and sold more than a few and Nada has been invaluable. As far as Airstreams are concerned, Nada is worthless. I sold my last Airstream for just over five times Nada. Thee people looked at it in three days. The first people were real excited and went to the bank. They sent me an email a few days later to inform me my price was way out of line according to the bank and Nada (it was already sold when they gave me the bad news). The second guy was all excited but said he just had to shop around and knew he would regret it. He contacted me a week later and did indeed regret not buying it. The third person to look at it did a five minute walk around and wrote a check for the full amount. I intended to buy a SOB to make my wife happy but stumbled onto another Airstream that stuck her fancy and ended up buying that one for the asking price 24 hours after it hit the market. That price was a little bit over three times Nada. By the time I was able to make the trip the seller already had a full price backup but the seller was true to his word and held it for me.

A lot of words I know, but the lesson is Nada will mislead you and make you miss great deals. The best way I can tell you to come to terms with actual Airstream prices is to watch this site and RVtrader (IMO) religiously for some months. A lot of the prices on here are steep but you will start to see rigs in your range get listed and sold quickly. There is the going price range. RVtrader has a lot of dealer ads. Some dealers try to get every ounce of juice out of a deal, others are there to move a product that is not their bread and butter. Those dealers generally price the product they want to move very competitively.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
NADA is just a guide.
Unless you need financing. It's been my experience that lenders will use NADA to determine how much they are willing to lend towards the specific purchase. For example, if the Airstream seller wants (and can command) $20K, but the NADA says it's only worth $15K, the lender will only finance the $15K...assuming you qualify.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
NADA prices for RV are not accurate/meaningful, because dealers don't report sales figures - and some states couldn't record them anyway.

Several years ago I noticed the same thing and contacted NADA - the woman essentially said that a bunch of dealers got together occasionally to make the numbers up. NADA then has an algorithm to 'age' the values - as the units age (some age (depreciate) faster than others, as you would expect).
Old 10-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I changed Ins. co. 2 weeks ago to agreed value. Dif co. as my agent of over 40 yrs. also home office would not consider any appraiser but a body shop. My agreed value by AS dealer was 9 times nada book. My new ins. FCIS out of forest Iowa. They ins. a lot of AS & every thing else. Very happy with rates. Just appraisal and pics. Also when sold any thing got more than nada. There are several price guides, [nada, kelly blue book. dealers black book and several others, as stated before they are just guides. Bill
Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
NADA exists for banks to name a value that they will loan a dealer to finance your trade in.

Banks use NADA wholesale values to determine the amount that they will loan you for your purchase of a used Airstream.

NADA values are notoriously low.....not reflective of actual market values.

Dealers probably make more on your trade in based on NADA than on new trailer sales.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
If you use NADA, you will never buy an Airstream. They are so far removed from reality where Airstreams are concerned. The true valuation for Airstreams are market based.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedbacks. They are hugely helpful. We are looking to buy a lateodel AS, probably 2-3 years old.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Not too many words. I cant learn enough. I have a feeling this forum is going to be a daily read for the foreseeable future ��
Old 10-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Bellevue , Washington
NADA value Airstream Interstate

I've had my 2012 Airstream Interstate 3500 for sale for almost 3 months. I have advertised it on Craigslist (Seattle), RV Trader and this forum's classifieds. My initial asking price was $94500. I've shown it to at least 8 people and received two low ball offers of $75,000 and one from an RV trader referral for $81,000 - via email without looking at it. The vehicle is in excellent condition with just over 13,000 miles. I have had many views on this site but nobody has contacted me.

The Portland airstream dealer told me they would give $75,000 for it and I should ask $85,000. NADA's Average Retail Value is currently $89,200. That is the value that my local credit union will loan on.

I have lowered the price (yesterday) to $85,000 because I would like to sell it before winter. I am looking to go back to a trailer or larger motorhome.

Other Interstates, some one year newer but with more miles are listed for $99000 or more. My local Airstream dealer has 4 used ones and they are not selling.

If NADA value does not apply to Airstreams - if they do command more than other brands - then I am priced too low. Maybe people think there is something wrong with it to be priced that low or maybe the higher values are for trailers but not motorhomes.

I am very surprised it has not sold yet. Any advice?
(My ad is posted in the classified section)