Old 10-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
legit?

Here's the ad:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...2/#priceblock2

Is this too good to be true? What do you think of the skin damage? I messaged the guy/girl only 2 hours after it was posted yesterday evening and this is the response I got this morning:

"Hi Matt,
Sorry for the delay. Our Airstream is on hold one week pending sale. Well let you know right away if the buyer does not arrive. It's a beautiful fall, isn't it.
Thanks"

Seems a little off to me. IDK. What does the all-knowing airforum say? I'm only about 2 hours drive to it too so it's pretty ideal. I replied saying I could see it this weekend so we'll see.

TIA,
Matt

bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, I haven't done any pricing on 2005 CCD trailers, but the price doesn't look to be exactly a give-away--what about this ad seems too good to be true?

I would agree that it looks like it is in very good shape with the exception of the 2 or three small dents I see around the trailer. You might be able to reduce the significance of those dents with some kind of "paintless dent removal" techniques, but the only way to make it look perfect again would be segment replacement, which runs in the vicinity of $2k each to have a professional do the job.

As far as the response you got from the seller, I would agree that it is odd that they posted the ad, and within two hours they have a potential buyer causing them to hold it for a week, but maybe there is someone else out there just like you who thinks it is a great deal, or maybe they had it advertised elsewhere as well. Anyway, the scammy response is usually something to do with the trailer being located in an entirely different state, but they will ship it to you free of charge, they just need all your banking information so that they can set up the "escrow" service, which will guarantee your satisfaction, blah, blah, blah.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated! One thing that bothers me is that it looks to have New Mexico RV plates and they claim to be located in Colorado. Plus, yes it just seems TOO cheap. The most weird thing is the holding it for a week like you mention. Also, the seller has no other posts on the forum.

That's good info about what potential scammers typically will say. Thanks for that. There's nothing obvious but it is odd.

Thanks again.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Well, I haven't done any pricing on 2005 CCD trailers, but the price doesn't look to be exactly a give-away--what about this ad seems too good to be true?

I would agree that it looks like it is in very good shape with the exception of the 2 or three small dents I see around the trailer. You might be able to reduce the significance of those dents with some kind of "paintless dent removal" techniques, but the only way to make it look perfect again would be segment replacement, which runs in the vicinity of $2k each to have a professional do the job.

As far as the response you got from the seller, I would agree that it is odd that they posted the ad, and within two hours they have a potential buyer causing them to hold it for a week, but maybe there is someone else out there just like you who thinks it is a great deal, or maybe they had it advertised elsewhere as well. Anyway, the scammy response is usually something to do with the trailer being located in an entirely different state, but they will ship it to you free of charge, they just need all your banking information so that they can set up the "escrow" service, which will guarantee your satisfaction, blah, blah, blah.

good luck!
bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
And opinion here so it doesn't stand for much.

It's a 15 year old trailer so possibly they have it paid off or got a good deal on it also. the price doesn't seem that unusual to me considering what their circumstances might be. seems to be in good shape.

Regarding the one week hold as they await a potential buyer I don't find that unusual. People can set up their searches to look for trailers that pop up newly listed.

Some buyers will ask for parameters or offer a cash deposit so they can get there and take a look.

The scam ads usually sound way more sketchy versus just "it's on hold will be glad to get back to you".

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote