Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lees Summit , Missouri
Is this a good deal?

We are able to buy a 2015 Flying Cloud 30FB bunk for $85K. It has 2, 53 watt solar panels w/1000 watt inverter. (Which now that I'm looking around, turns out to be very little.) it has not been used. Anything I should be wary of? Should we try to get them to go even lower? This price includes an anti- sway hitch. It's from Colonial Airstream so anyone can see what's included.

We would have to drive half-way across the country to pick it up. We wouldn't be able to do that until next month. Makes me nervous signing paperwork before we've laid eyes on it. We are complete newbies to this.
Thanks for any advice!
Alibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Welcome. I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback from very good shoppers on here. I have an 03 Classic ... happy and not shopping so way out of date on real prices. When you get your Airstream you will love it.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibean View Post
We would have to drive half-way across the country to pick it up. We wouldn't be able to do that until next month. Makes me nervous signing paperwork before we've laid eyes on it. We are complete newbies to this.
You could put down a deposit to hold it, and then finalize the paperwork when you do have a chance to go to Colonial, instead of buying sight-unseen. Even with a deposit, the sale MUST be contingent on the trailer passing an inspection prior to taking final possession.

I haven't dealt with Colonial, so I don't know if a deposit paid to them would be refundable if you decide not to buy, but it would count as part of the down payment if you do decide to buy.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Msrp about $95-96k, 2015 model. I'd see if you can get them closer to 15% below msrp, colonial is going to be filling their lot with 2016's and I've heard of people getting close to 15% not on year end clearance. It's still a good price and will be a very nice trailer.
MSRP doesn't include hitch so add that.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Clermont , Florida
in May of 2013 we purchased a 2013 flying cloud with a discount of 20 percent. At that time I checked the price of the same unit at Colonial and they were asking $9,000 more. Since you'll be traveling a long distance anyway, check with other dealers. An acquaintance recently bought a 2016 for a very good discount from a dealer in Mississippi.
greew016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
You've got a large A/S dealer in St Louis. If you haven't already, get a competing price from them. We have a not as large dealer in Lexington, SC....John's RV....which I have heard is very reputable. A phone call to ask if they have one like the unit you are looking at and a price over the phone gives you a second comparison.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
You've got a large A/S dealer in St Louis. If you haven't already, get a competing price from them. We have a not as large dealer in Lexington, SC....John's RV....which I have heard is very reputable. A phone call to ask if they have one like the unit you are looking at and a price over the phone gives you a second comparison.
And something to keep in mind— if two dealers have the same price for the same trailer, the closer one is actually cheaper, because it will cost you less in travel expenses to go and get the trailer.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
If you are heading east toward Colonial you might want to check Haydocy in Columbus, OH. It is 300 miles closer to you and we found their prices and sales practices to be outstanding. They also carry a fairly large inventory and being so close to Jackson Center, seem to have an inroad on orders.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We bought our AS from Bill Thomas in St. Louis. We looked in Springfield, MO, Des Moines, IA, and at Bill Thomas.

We were not impressed with the dealership in Springfield.

We liked the Des Moines dealership, but liked that BT was on the KC side of I-70 and did not require driving in town to get to/from the dealer.

BT was very knowledgable and good to work with. We worked with Jesse and I would recommend him very highly. After we bought (and our unit was a pre-owned 2015) their walk through was excellent. They took about 4 hours with us. Had us both drive, went over all the systems, backing, parking, etc. They have the option to stay the night at the dealership to work out any questions or problems as well.

I felt that BT was very competitively priced.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Also,
Taking your AS back to where you bought it must be a factor.... You will need to do that.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Lees Summit , Missouri
Thanks for the advice- we really should look at closer dealers. Unfortunately, we already put down a deposit. We jumped on it- thinking it was a great deal and we really want the bunk model. I'm thinking we may still be able to get our deposit back if needed. Yikes!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibean View Post
Thanks for the advice- we really should look at closer dealers. Unfortunately, we already put down a deposit. We jumped on it- thinking it was a great deal and we really want the bunk model. I'm thinking we may still be able to get our deposit back if needed. Yikes!
I haven't seen a Colonial Sale Contract but I would certainly think you could get your deposit back, surely the contract has some sort of due diligence time where you are allowed to inspect and cancel for any reason, including financing. I would be surprised if any reputable dealer would take a deposit and it be non-refundable.

Having said all that, I have been shopping and just bought a barely used 2013 FC, but in that process looked at 2015s quite closely. It seemed that large dealers like Colonial were clearing out 2015s at 18 percent off MSRP, in fact I emailed them asking if the prices on the internet were the best prices, and they said yes. They all were right about 18 percent off. That was for 23 footers retailing at more like 60sh thousand, so I'm not sure of the dynamics for a larger $100,000 MSRP trailer...but I've always been under the impression that the higher the price, the greater the percentage of room to move. I have seen many trailers in the past month advertised with 'clearance' prices, and those prices varied by as much as 5%. So shop hard, hopefully closer to home. And beat up Colonial for another 3% if you can. The 2016s are out and it's almost winter up in the northeast....
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #13

Currently Looking...
Lees Summit , Missouri
Oh... and is it necessary to take the A/S back to the dealer where it's bought? That part does make me nervous.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I know that JD Sanders, in Alachua, will do warranty work whether they sold you the trailer or not. I suspect most reputable dealers would do the same.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You could put down a deposit to hold it, and then finalize the paperwork when you do have a chance to go to Colonial, instead of buying sight-unseen. Even with a deposit, the sale MUST be contingent on the trailer passing an inspection prior to taking final possession.

I haven't dealt with Colonial, so I don't know if a deposit paid to them would be refundable if you decide not to buy, but it would count as part of the down payment if you do decide to buy.

If you are asked to sign ANYTHING, read it carefully!
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Lees Summit , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I know that JD Sanders, in Alachua, will do warranty work whether they sold you the trailer or not. I suspect most reputable dealers would do the same.

Mike
I was thinking it would be similar to a car in this way- I mean, they are travel trailers. And I think Colonial said most of their business is online out of state. Of course, I know nothing so I should not be making any assumptions.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Ask them for free delivery. Save you time and money.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Sanford , Florida
We just bought a 2015 30' FC at Foley Rv in Mississippi. A great place to go for your Airstream. Bought it for $70,000. It's not a FB bunk, but it still makes me think that $85 is high for what you're looking at. Good luck!
Patrr is offline   Reply With Quote