Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Is it a Money Pit ???????

I am new to this site with the the idea of owning an Airstream from a few years back when I first saw these unique creations. My assumption is/was that these are the best quality and unique pieces of american history. My concern is that perhaps my assumption is misguided. It looks like there is automatic expenses when buying an older one 70's for renovation. The one most concerning to me is the axles and inadequate frames. I'm handy but far from knowledgeable on inner-workings of brakes axles, and terminology surrounding the suspension. This suspension issue appears to be a major concern with separation, sagging etc. Am I making a mistake to sell my new Jacyco (paid in full) and go into an older Airstream. The project appeals to me, but I don't know if I need a reality check. I see units being sold by people on this site that were originally bought as restoration/renovation only to scrap the idea a couple years later and "throwing in the towel". (please don't think this as negative, just a perception as an outsider "dipping his foot in the pond, before he dives in". Don't want to end up with Hypothermia....Ha-Ha.....

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome! Older Airstreams are a labor of love (and an obsession, but more on that later). Children cost more money AND use the tools you buy to work on your Airstream! Seriously, we went into this with our eyes wide open - we did some research and knew from home renovations that things are never quite what they seem. We really wanted the community of Airstreamers and the ownership of one of these lovely trailers, so we took the plunge. It'll be a couple of more years (at least) before ours is on the road, but we think it'll be worth it. We couldn't afford to buy new, at least unless we sold the house. This is a way for us to own one at a lower cost and have exactly what we want.
Is it cheap? No, but we think, very worth it! It's all in what you want. Besides, our Airstream will still be on the road when Jayco's and all the others are in the junk yard (we've owned Jayco's - they're good but not AS's.)

Kay

Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Anything that rolls and is old is a money pit. To some(me) old Airstreams have an appeal that makes the time & money spent worthwhile. You have to decide for yourself your tolerance level. This is a bit of my experiance with an old very kool Airstream..... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ls-45180.htmlr Good luck with your quest. Adios, John
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
2 vairables:

A.) Condition at point of purchase
B.) Initial purchase price

--------------------

You ever buy a used car?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Newer Can Drain Money Too...

For example, ours is a 1992. In addition to the obvious tires, batteries, and other periodic items to be replaced and repaired we have installed one new axle (old one could not be aligned for some reason), a new AC and new fridge. At some point things simply stop working and cannot be repaired or the repair costs about the same as replacement.

Having said that... we would not think of getting rid of our Airstream.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
...assumption is misguided. It looks like there is automatic expenses when buying an older one 70's for renovation. ...
Renovation is fairly subjective. Somewhere on this site, someone described renovation vs restoration - and I believe that renovation included lots of new *modern* mechanical/electrical components and also updated conveniences (appliances) with custom interiors. Could encompass A LOT of work. Restoration could also be a lot of work - but would likely be more dependent on the condition of the trailer to start... there are plenty of 70's out there with good interiors and working systems.

Quote:
...renovation. The one most concerning to me is the axles and inadequate frames. I'm handy but far from knowledgeable on inner-workings of brakes axles, and terminology surrounding the suspension. This suspension issue appears to be a major concern with separation, sagging etc. ...
From experience and too much time spent on this forum, I believe that axle replacement is almost certainly required. And axles (can) include new brakes. Replacement is NOT a difficult DIY job and is not horribly expensive - just keep the cost in mind when negotiating selling price. It seems some prior owners are not aware of the axle issue but are aware of tires & shocks so, it is possible that the PO has already updated these.

Inadequate frame? I understand the tube frames were inadequate, but don't agree that the 70's were - though some may have rust issues.

Rear end sag/separation, like rusted frame, is not a certainty. Longer units (esp with rear baths) are more susceptible to the sag but units w/o this issue are readily available.

Quote:
... check. I see units being sold by people on this site that were originally bought as restoration/renovation only to scrap the idea a couple years later and "throwing in the towel". ...
Yep, I see it too. I think too many folks believe it will fun to alter the interior and then realize that working in the confines of an Al tube are more difficult than anticipated and find that are many more issues to be dealt with (i.e. axles, electrical, etc). These unanticipated issues are not only laborious, but costly once added. After you've gutted it and realized the work ahead, I think it could be really overwhelming. Can't imagine how I would have felt if I tore out all the interior to a gutted state and then not only realized the cost in replacing items (esp appliances) but found the other mechanical/electrical systems needed work --- man, I would have thrown in the towel too.

I bought my '73 Overlander without much research. Thankfully, there wasn't too much wrong with it! I thought I'd redo so much more of the interior but ended up finding other items that needed to be dealt with first (axles, weatherproofing, charging system, appliances, etc). Thankfully the interior was in good condition and I have been able to live with limited rework there so I could start CAMPING right away. Some day I may return to my original thoughts of renovating the interior and polishing the exterior but, for now, I am just happy to use my Airstream.

Laura
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
You can find a vintage Airstream that does not need work, they are out there, ya just got to find them!

Look at all the members on here who have already restored them, or have taken good care of theirs all these years, sometimes they can be found on the classifieds!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
...Am I making a mistake to sell my new Jacyco (paid in full) and go into an older Airstream...
often these 'teaser threads' begin with a "wHy" question...

and many passionate replies about personal whys result.

however YOU need to explain more

about WHY U are even considering selling a NEW RV at significant DEPRECIATION...

just 2 have a fixer upper, 40 year old thing.

without knowing YOUR Yz or explaining your Yz we are left clueless west of ny...

lots of threads started like dis one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-as-52112.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...m-vs-7288.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...hat-31502.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-41970.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...eam-48583.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...not-67656.html

just a few of the 100s of Ys in the road...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
I agree...labor of love.
For me, its marathon not a sprint.
I really enjoy working mine. Its my ultimate hobby. It does help if your mechanical then you dont have to pay someone to repair every step of the way. Mine is a 1970 27' International. Was perfect and original. I totally gutted it. Some would say Im crazy (I am) HOWEVER, I am also creative, mechanical and adventourous.
Since I was a kid I wanted an airstream to restore. Now, I finally have one and even with the ups and downs, the steady flow of money escaping from my pocket...Im still have a BLAST!
I have learned some much from ALL the great people on the forums. Many are all too happy to you find solutions to any problems you may have. I love the people here. Its a brotherhood of sorts, "go WE go " kind of brotherhood.
Good Luck and WELCOME!
Cynthia
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I wound up with my overlander as trade for money owed by a family member. I really did not want it because I do not camp or travel much anymore but they could not afford to pay me back. That being said, the first year I had her I took her out a few times and saw a few problems that needed repairing. The PO said "everything worked". I found out during these trips that this was not exactly correct. The hot water heater was not even hooked up, the heater was broken also. The rear sink p-trap was held together with super glue and leaked very badly and the last foot or so of the rear bathroom floor was rotten completly through. Along with a multitude of minor annoying problems.

The last 8 months have been replacing this and repairing that. Bathroom floor and drains all fixed and hey, day before yesterday I repaired the 8-track and the old 40 year old clock. Yesterday I turned up the 8-track and installed the clock back into the command center. I can now listen to 8-tracks, cassettes, mp3 players and if I hook up my laptop to the stero system, I can play records. Crazy - Yes - but I am loving the trailer. I should have all of the repairs finished the fall (bathtub has a hole in it - I have ordered the epoxy repair kit). Axles, wheels and tires in early spring next year. Hopefully spring next year, a quick shake down trip to the lake for a weekend then schedule a long trip to Washington State to see my sister I have not seen in 15 years. It has been a lot of work but I have loved every minute of it. I get a very good feeling deep inside every time I get something working just the way I want it. I am now looking for a 1971 GM 1/2 ton long bed truck that I can fix up to pull my 1971 Overlander in the homecoming parade next year. It's 40 year aniversary.

Short answer to your question. Should you buy an Airstream - answer YES. But beware - you might get obsessed with them.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Am I making a mistake to sell my new Jacyco (paid in full) and go into an older Airstream.....

If the goal is to get rid of a usable trailer and start a project, I'd say go for it. If the Jacyco's paid for ya might want to keep it and use that as a ready to use travel trailer and buy the Airstream as a project. A lot of the fun with my 1976 Airstream is the learning that goes with it. I say keep the Jayco and buy the Airstream. In a year or two you could probably sell one or both.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm for Splitrock's idea.

Why deny yourself the ability to camp when you have a perfectly good vehicle already?

It's like there are two parts of the Airstream affliction: repairing/restoring and camping.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Vintage AS cont

Yep, they are $$ pits just like classic cars, boats, airplanes, submarines, etc..
If the AS is older than 10 yrs then expect the equipment to need help and/or replacement. But when you compare that to a new AS @ $60k+ then it may be worth the hastle.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Axles would probably be something to replace, but frame and separation problems are not a given. Best to have it inspected before you buy. Good older units are out there if you look.

Aside from needing new tires, my 1979 was ready for camping when I bought it six years ago. Since then I've had to spend an average of $750 per year on it, replacing things that did break or wear out. That estimate includes spending 2K on axles one year, while some years it needs nothing.

The trailer gets a lot of use too. Weekends, and at least one, one or two week trip per year. Considering it's paid for, I feel I am getting my yearly maintenance cost out of it.

Part of my decision to buy an older Airstream was the resale potential. I suspect that an ad for a 1979 Airstream would get more attention than one for a 1979 Prowler or whatever. I assume an Airstream holds its value better as well.

Christopher