Old 12-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even though the Classic is the heaviest Airstream made, we are at about 8,500# ready to go. It is about 1,000# heavier than our sob, but still within the capabilities of the truck and well below the 10,000# GVW. The op has a 3/4 ton Ram diesel, so weight won't be a problem- but he wants a bunkhouse anyway-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Then the bunk house spec is GVW of 8,800 pounds and a useful load of 2,378 pounds using the optimistic factory numbers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Understand that a significant number of Airstream owners are experiencing corrosion problems on the aluminum exterior.

This thread is very informative: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...31743-128.html
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The 31' Flying Cloud and International trim lines have a GVW of 8,800 pounds while the two 31' Classics have a GVW of 10,000 pounds. Only the three Classic models utilize 5,000 pound rated axles . . .
Just for the record I think our 2007 Safari SE 20 had a 5,000 pound rated axle as do the new ones.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
The combination of aerodymics, balance, suspension, low center of gravity and overall height yes best pulling rv. I have owned a Sunnybrook 5th wheel, Alpenlite 5 th wheel and Newmar London Aire 5 th . All 3 were full time units so you are not comparing apples to apples.The Newmar was a great unit well balanced with tandem axel and dual wheels but it took a big horse to pull it. But we do love the Airstream easy to travel in easy to pull we have did more back road exploring in one year than in the last 15 years. My horse now is a Ford F250 Gasser 5.4 V 8 yes we are happy and yes if you can deal with no slides .....or a small slide go for it

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Understand that a significant number of Airstream owners are experiencing corrosion problems on the aluminum exterior.

This thread is very informative: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...31743-128.html
I wonder if that is a coastal problem or a northern problem. I have followed that thread for quite some time, but I cannot see any corrosion on my trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
For us ... after two SOBs, we were ready for an AS ... bought the first and then moved up to a bit longer AS; never looked back!

Better trailing, better fuel economy ...overall happiness is much higher with the AS - just ask my wife!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Erie , Pennsylvania
Well, I have been nosing around and got a first quite from a dealer (who is not too far away) on a remaining 2013 30' FB Flying Cloud with bunkhouse floor plan.

First quote from dealer is $72,000.

Does this pricing seem in-line?

That is a whole lot of money for a travel trailer - I guess I am in a little shock here.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The corrosion is only cosmetic. It is up to the owner as to how much it bothers them. Jim
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Well, I have been nosing around and got a first quite from a dealer (who is not too far away) on a remaining 2013 30' FB Flying Cloud with bunkhouse floor plan.

That is a whole lot of money for a travel trailer - I guess I am in a little shock here.

Thanks!
When I was looking at new Airstreams I found that after some conversation it was possible to negotiate about a 20% discount from the sticker price with dealers. Ultimately I discovered I could buy a slightly used 3-4 year old airstream, in excellent condition, from an owner for about 60% of the list price of new ones. At 3 years the warranties have expired and some owners have discovered they aren't using the Airstream often. Then they decide to covert what has become a boat anchor in the yard to cash. There are also elderly owners who love their trailers but experience an illness or death that causes them to sell. Most of the Airstream enthusiasts I know have purchased used units and love their purchases and the substantial savings they realized versus new.

When buying used expect to spend some money. If you are buying a trailer from 3-5 years old you'll likely have to replace the tires, repack the wheel bearings, and spend some money tracking down and sealing leaks. You may have to replace the skylight and touch up some filaform. The battery may need replacement and you should probably replace the converter with a better three stage converter. Mattresses are another replacement item for some buyers of new and used airstreams. No doubt you'll also spend some dollars accessorizing and personalizing your trailer. Even if you spend $3000 on upgrades and maintenance to a used trailer if you negotiate well on the purchase you'll save substantially on the purchased of a new unit.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I pretty much agree with Florida 55's assessment.

I would buy new if you can afford it, gotta have that new shiny interior, want a warranty or are not handy. Or buy new if you just want to take the easy route.

Buying a new trailer versus used is not the same as buying a new car/TV versus used. There is a huge difference between a 10 or 20 year old vehicle and new one. There is not that much difference between a 10 or 20 year old trailer and a new one- same frame, same body, same suspension, same brakes, similar appliances.

If you buy new you will experience depreciation similar to buying a new car/TV. If you buy used, maybe some depreciation but maybe not.

I bought a well cared for 66 Tradewind and I don't think it will ever depreciate. In fact it is probably worth more now then when I bought it including the cost of the improvements I have made for it. I am upgrading it and improving it to suit my own needs- see Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements.

I just bought a 95 34' Excella for 14k. It needs a fridge, new tires, new batteries and a few minor repairs. I will have less than 20k in it after all the repairs and improvements.

Both trailers will last me another 20 years, then can go to the next Airstreamer.

There is no right or wrong decision. Do what works best for you.

SOB's are fine for short trips. If you enjoy traveling, you really need an Airstream.

Have fun in your decision and your search.

One other reason to buy an Airstream is this forum. It is just a wonderful bunch of people. Lots of friends here whos opinions I value. Great rallys to go to.

Dan
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Ha! Welcome to Air$tream! My local dealer shows the 30 bunkhouse with an MSRP of $90,899 so, that is about 20% off BUT your quote is of one also a year older now. New is nice but the drawback is the bite! There are so many options for you. Why do you want a bunk model? Are you aware of the weight limit on the bunk bed? How many do you need to sleep?

The reason I am asking this is that used is a great way to get an Airstream too. While a bunkhouse might be hard to find used I know that there are some forum members that added a bunk. Josh (worksology) and his family added a bunk to their 27' International. Naturally it adds to cost when customizing but it also may still be cheaper.

I purchased an '06 in Feb '12- exactly five years almost to the day of the original owner's purchase date in 2/07. I had only looked at new previous to my purchase. I had no camping equipment, generator, good hitch, etc. My recent total of after-purchase spending is $12K for all the updates, goodies, etc. The crazy thing is that most of that I would have wanted to do even if buying new! The good news? I am still $20K less than the new price adding all expenses to date. I too agree with Florida55.

There ARE differences in new vs. used and model years- I found. The last few years Airstream started using some type of neoprene washers with the rivets (according to AS) to seal rivets. On the used models, I can attest that you have to be aware of axle ratings/models. I learned this when I contacted airstream service and asked them if there was anything they could tell me about buying used- what to look for. The only advice was axle rating to gross weight. Example, my Safari 25 made its debut around 1997 and ended in 2008. The '05 and '06 models have 7000 lb axle ratings. Prior to that they have 6000lb I believe. During that time the trailer weight did not vary that much so, it would impact NCC between years of the same model- 2004; NCC=1380, 2005/6; NCC=1930lbs.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Erie , Pennsylvania
Well, I think I am going to go the used route as there simply are not enough funds for new. I don't have any problem doing initial things like tires, axles, brakes, sealing, appliances. etc.

I am looking in the 30 foot to 34 foot range. What do folks think is the realistic dollar range for a five to ten year old trailer like that? I have been looking at the classifieds on here, but I feel like I don't know enough to draw any conclusions.

Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Buying used as opposed to new

Looks like you are getting mixed signals about new as opposed to pre-owned. Before we bought our 28' 2004 Classic we kicked a lot of tires on both new and used. The only way I would consider buying new is if I could pay cash and walk away with the title in my pocket. At that you still have a very healthy depreciation to contend with, and they are all used once you pull them off the lot. If you finance new you may be looking at a healthy payment for the next 10 to 15 years. When you add that to registration, insurance, and normal upkeep, an Airstream is not cheap to own even before you start to travel.
If you are willing to flexible on size and floorplan a good used Airstream can be had at a reasonable price. As with any other travel trailer price can vary with the season and local. Be patient, look at all of the deals. You may get a better deal from an individual. The dealers tend to get full value, especially on consignments. Get your financing or cash in place so that you can make a firm offer when you find the one you want.
After driving many miles to look, we found our trailer 100 miles from home. We saw it on Craig's List Monday evening, pulled it home on Tuesday and went camping on Friday.
Good luck with your search, whatever you decide!