Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
an honest man that does honest work at an honest rate will always be honestly employed. That is my business philosophy.

I also know that the definition of craftsman and accomplished craftsman can vary widely from person to person. I have been a professional woodworker for close to 20 years. During that time I have seen work praised that is total wood butchering and seen clients not even blink an eye at something that took more time than was budgeted. Perspective is a mighty big variable. I believe unless you have some one willing to buy your product and they are commissioning you to build something special, you will never get your investment out of it. I have well over 400 hours in my trailer and that does not include the polishing or the front half I still need to do. I just do not think I could ever recoup that kind of investment. Maybe things are different in California, but here on the East Coast somedays the sun does not shine.

I have thought long and hard about making a venture into custom interiors myself. I even own the domain name for a company, but have not yet been willing to stick my neck out there. Hope it works for you.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Arroyo Grande , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Hey rwrussom,

As you know, a niche market product placement that is intended to be associated with an established brand name like Airstream, demands at the minimum, the same quality production standards, plus superior product performance and design elements.

An example would be the Shelby Cobra GT series, which had enhanced interior style features and a kickass powerplant that establish much higher than the norm performance numbers.

These features combined became a niche marketing sub-set of the Ford Mustang automobile line.

What is it again that you are offering high-end RV purchasers?

Hey Kieth, you set a pretty high mark with that one, personally I am going after the '69 mustang GT500 convertible, but thats me.
More seriously I am striving for the quality of some of the better coach builders like vintage trailering or Timeless Travel Trailers.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
an honest man that does honest work at an honest rate will always be honestly employed. That is my business philosophy.

I also know that the definition of craftsman and accomplished craftsman can vary widely from person to person. I have been a professional woodworker for close to 20 years. During that time I have seen work praised that is total wood butchering and seen clients not even blink an eye at something that took more time than was budgeted. Perspective is a mighty big variable. I believe unless you have some one willing to buy your product and they are commissioning you to build something special, you will never get your investment out of it. I have well over 400 hours in my trailer and that does not include the polishing or the front half I still need to do. I just do not think I could ever recoup that kind of investment. Maybe things are different in California, but here on the East Coast somedays the sun does not shine.

I have thought long and hard about making a venture into custom interiors myself. I even own the domain name for a company, but have not yet been willing to stick my neck out there. Hope it works for you.

Well I am really in the exploring stage at this point. I don't mind risking some time, but see no point in going into something that is a non starter from the beginning. I was looking at the 400 - 500 hour range. If you cant get in the range of a new AS price for a quality custom, then it probably does not get to workable. I got a pretty good grasp on the costs and work involved, just don't know the $$ the market will come to. In any case this is not for the budget minded DIY AS owner.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I truly wish you the best of luck with this... I hope it works out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

My two cents

I have plenty of ideas to spruce up my trailer. Problem is that most of them would add weight.
My restoration ( customization ) guy has more work than he can handle. I don't think the market is all that small.
It is true that many RVers are on a budget and many prefer to work on their own rigs. Perhaps you could purchase some out of shape trailers and
doll them up on spec.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

62overlander... Thanks, we'll see how far it goes. How cool is that original AS radi you have? Did you ever get it fixed up?

mandolindave... That is my gerenal staring point, doing customs on spec. I am just trying to get a handle on the risk.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts and comments. I hope to have some ideas fleshed out in plan and 3d rendered models soon. I will post those also for comments and critiques.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

First plan posted here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/p...tml#post601505
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Alot of custom car shops do airstreams . Pamela Anderson had hers done in New York by Unique Auto Sports