Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Pearl , Alaska
Use an independent agent to shop for best rate and be ready to change carriers yearly
Renewing with the same company always results in higher premiums
Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Insurance just went up 25% (ouch)

Yup, gotta love capitalism.

Raise north of 5% last year, and greatly increased vacation time without even asking, and now working full time from the comfort of my home office at the same rate of pay.

It helps to have skills and lots of experience in very high demand fields that are a) rare and b) difficult to learn, and c) hard to get certified in.

The best thing I ever learned from a really bad economics professor was to pick a career that is hard to learn, rare, and pays well. About the only thing he said worth remembering.

From his looks and the car he drove, economics professors are apparently a “dime a dozen” skill set.

So, before you ask, I have a masters degree in management of information systems, among other highly technical degrees, and a CISSP certification, and DW is a highly experienced Registered Nurse working in a rare field.

Ideal combination of engineering and medical careers in the immediate family. Rest of the gang has similar family skill sets. One of us is always working, usually both full time plus and very well paid for our skills. Life is good.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
"There appears to be widespread confusion between what constitutes healthy pride, something one ought to be able to freely express—when appropriate—and boastfulness or bragging, something most people find objectionable in themselves and others. Boasting is commonly defined as talking in a self-admiring way or glorifying oneself. It is often thought of as excessive pride. We tend to think of people who boast as arrogant, self-preoccupied, or, perhaps, insecure, which may be why they need to boast in the first place."
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Well Andy, that was kinda ouch. you could have at least let a couple of other comments slide in first.

What does "it" say about being mean, snide or judgemental.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Andy is entitled to his opinion.

“ Living well is the best revenge” is where I’m coming from. I stick to facts, and avoid opinions unless I flag them as such.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rmkrum

Well said, if you didn't mind then back to the stories of the crazy insurance industry. And there are plenty of those.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. Tell me about it. Not cheap here in California on insurance either...
Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
These companies never cease to amaze with the tactics they come up with. Infuriating when you purchase something online and your credit card is charged immediately, then if something goes wrong - wrong product shipped, product not received or damaged, they take their good ole sweet time refunding the card.

Just got my vehicle insurance renewal last week (Geico). Went up from $323/6 months to $440.00/6 months. Nothing changed, no tickets or accidents in the past 20 years. A 36% jump. Not quite as bad as Dish with my new bill just this week going up by over 45% from $75.00/month to $109/00/month.

I guess the $1.3 trillion tax cut republicans gave big corporations last year wasn't enough to satisfy their greed. In the meantime, my employer gave no raises last year - or the year before, just a pathetic bonus.

Gotta love capitalism.
$440/6 months? That’s less than $100/month! That’s cheap!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #49
The Bluegrass Express

2000 33' Land Yacht
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to daveshrader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
It pays to shop around!!! I renewed with Progressive without doing that and found they were price gouging.

Good Sam/National General Insurance quoted me $416 year for full stated value coverage on my Airstream in WV. In February Progressive quoted me $1205 for same 12 month policy which was an increase of $205 from previous year. Now because I paid the Progressive policy in full with a credit card, they say its not possible to credit the refund on the card and I must wait for the $900 refund check.

Only reason I was with Progressive was due to USAA partnership they set up for RV's. Strongly recommend everyone with Progressive get a few quotes cause I saved over $700 year by changing.

I also found National General cheapest and best with reductions when in storage (in and out) premium. Fantastic!
Mt Pleasant, SC
daveshrader@bellsouth.net
daveshrader is offline   Reply With Quote