Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
How do you buy an AS as an out-of-towner?

We have only one dealership within an hours drive. I see plenty of AS I would love to check on, but we aren't in the position to drive all over the country. I found one I think I would love in Iowa, but we can't just drive over to Iowa to have a look. I emailed the RV dealer, but received no reply. Besides, the asking prices are way over our budget for now. I guess my question is, "how do you buy it when you aren't anywhere near it?"
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
There are some folks on the forum who have volunteered to take a look at trailers for those in your position. I would suggest making an appeal for someone who is close to the Airstream to go take a look.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i just bought my little airstream off ebay. and you know this kind of goes back to the question you posted about why. my wife and i decided we wanted to get rid of our pop-up camper and look for a hard sided one. we live in an area where everything is a drive to go look at anything. so i got online and started looking at new ones. all i came away with was, really? they want that much $$ for that!?! which led me to look for vintage campers, which led me to airstream and you know i had never looked at an airstream up close.no i'm not kidding! just pictures on the computer lots and lots of pictures on the computer and did alot of reading on different ones i just kept coming back around to the airstreams...to make a long story short i won the bidding on ebay and the next day drove 700 miles to pick up what i had just purchased. am i happy with it? much more than i thought i could be! the more time i spend around this little jewel the more i fall in love with it...can't say i ever felt that way about the pop-up! sure she needs a little work she's 45 years old but for me that's half the fun .so what i guess i'm saying is start doing as much research on all the campers that you can then make your decision on which kind you want to get. and if it's airstream and you find one for sale somewhere that you would like someone to check out for you...i'm betting you could get on here and ask and somebody on these forums that might be closer to it than you, would do that for you. good luck
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I bought our previously enjoyed Bambi 1300 miles away last year around this time and I'm glad I did. I had an inspector (list is on the portal page) check it out for me and then bought it. It was a simple and easy process. We all love to look at them so someone will help you out. Know what you want and jump in! The classifieds are a very good place to look. Have fun shopping and feel free to ask questions. Good luck with your search.

Brad
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Funhouse, I just posted a reply to your other thread in which I made reference to a dealership in Anoka, MN, that we have visited and which has enough Airstreams of many different models to be worth the weekend trip to see. You might look at that post since it connects to your question here. Best wishes! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Shop online. Go see any that are for sale close to you to get familiar with the lay outs and models. craiglists, and ebay are good. We have shopped for our Airstreams on rvtraderonline.com. Good Luck.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Google is your friend.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
I purchased my AS sight unseen. I hired a emergency roadside rv firm to provide a 100 point test, including leak seam leak test. I paid $350.00 and it is on them to be correct in their findings. I have purchased my cars the same way for years and have never been dissapointed.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Go to a few Airstream rally's WBCCI, Airforums etc. They usually have an open house and check them out. When you find out what you like. Make sure the bed and "Throne room" are big enough and then buy on line.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote