Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Headed to Hershey - What to Look at

Headed to Hershey for the RV show and very interested in an Int'l Sig 23 (FB) or a 23 FC (FB). I am about to retire (56) in December and it will be just my wife (53) and I traveling in the trailer with no pets. Love dogs but not time to be tied down now.....at least for us. Kids in college. Although we are newbies, I have read all the posts about buying used and have determined to buy new. Because AS has such good resale value, the reduced price of a 2 year old model did not (to us) justify the lack of a warranty and we want the upgrades in the 2016-2017 models so the decision has been made in that regard. We will buy new.

We intend to use the AS for a few three-four week trips per year in the spring and fall from PA cross country. National Parks etc....

Although we are pretty set on the Airstream above what other RVs (other brands) would you all suggest for us to look at given the above to compare. There will be 1500 RVs at the show and we cannot look at all of them. We are pretty focused on a trailer because we want to be able to disconnect and sightsee without the RV. Not interested in towing both a trailer and a car. We also want a queen size bed and a dry shower.

Thank you.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I guess what you have/plan to get for a tow vehicle would be a big consideration. Also a FC 25 is a good size (IMO) & not difficult to tow. Finally, a 5 or 6 year old well kept trailer works for me. . . good luck, Craig
Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
25 is a big step up over 23 and worth considering. We have a 2015 23 Signature and love it but must admit that if we had more room in our backyard then a 25 twin would be the perfect model for us.

25' and larger are 6" wider and, although it doesn't sound like much it makes a big difference in "excuse me" room. Also, the 25' and larger models have ducted a/c which is much more quiet when running. Not a deal breaker for us because we avoid camping in hot weather.

Finally, although we like the look and feel of the international interiors we have found that the upper cabinets with the sliding doors are less than ideal. I think the Flying Cloud cabinets would be much more useful because when you open the door the entire interior space is accessible. The opening on the international cabinets leaves the interior floor and sides below and outside of the opening and it makes storage less efficient and more difficult to access.

Everyone has preferences and, of course, others may have different opinions. As I have said, we are still very happy with our 23 but if our storage situation were different I think a 25 might be in our future.

Hope this helps.

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Although not in your hit list, be sure to look, photo, and review the new Basecamp!

Give us a "user review"!

I'd also look at the Bigfoot products.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I was all "sold" on a FC 23 --- until my sweetie & I went to our local AS dealer and, after going into a 23, the dealer said, "Let me show you a FC 25." Whoops, my mind changed on the spot. As others have implied, a 25 is lot more trailer for not that much more weight or cost. If a 23 works for you, all my best, but please spend some time in each before committing.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
If all you need is a 23' or 25' then I would suggest the 25' with the twin beds. We had a 25' with the queen bed in the rear and ended up trading in that one as I hated the queen rear bed as it was so difficult to get out of the bed if you are in the back, not much of an aisle their. As far as other brands (I don't know if they will be on display), but I would check out an Oliver - http://olivertraveltrailers.com/ , specifically the the Legacy Elite II.
These 2 guys go over them in detail:

You get quite a nicely appointed trailer for less money and don't have to worry to much about the many quality issues many have had with their Airstreams. Don't get me wrong, I love my Airstream and if I didn't need the extra room to bring the grand kids, then I would have gone with an Oliver.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Wow you were all correct. We were at the show today and I previously was pretty set in the 23 from the pictures. However after sitting in each of them the 25 is the right size for us. I have owned boats and realize what a difference two feet makes. The same holds true of Airstreams. I have also concluded that the few extra dollars are well worth it. Saw the new base camp. If I were going to buy a very small trailer I would prefer the 16 foot Bambi. I think the price point for the base camp is too close to the 16 foot model.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote